Darth Jar Jar

Best Theme Ever?

STAR WARS: The Best There Is, the Best There Was, the Best There Ever Will Be. :vader:

:laugh:

Mine probably would have to be Town. Its one of the themes that has libed the longest.

Long live Town. :thumbup:

I feel very isolated now as I would say Bionicle...can't beat it in my eyes. Only one off year but all the rest were fabulous.

That's not to say that I don't like other themes, and I have more system then I do Bionicle, but I joined EB because of Bionicle ( I bet the Mods are cursing Bionicles existence now :laugh: ).

SW, no questions asked,second would have to be IJ, I love these no matter what angle you look at them, Indiana Jones got me to collect adventurers way back when, and when they made it into a real line, I thought god must've been listening in on some of my prayers. And SW is what got me started in lego to begin with.

Pirates for me... they were my favourite toy as a kid, and althought the 2009 revival was slightly disappointing, it did give us the Imperial Flagship which is basically the best thing ever. Give me an empty surface anywhere in the flat and I'll want to build my Imperial Flagship on it.

Modular building was my favourite for a while, but I have them all connected together now, and they look slightly... mismatched? Some look European, some look American, some look old, some look moden... I can accept that old buildings commonly exist next to new buildings, but I still think they work better individually than as a theme. Doesn't stop me anticipating the next one more than anything else though.

I like town/city a lot, but I'm a completist, and I can't complete this theme because then I'd have one large police building for every three civilian buildings.

This is one of those impossible questions...

Really, if I were to choose a favourite I would name a time period which included the most themes that prospered and that I liked... but that's not the question.

Therefore Castle probably has to be my pick, closely followed by Adventurers, Pirates and Star Wars. However the Prince of Persia line was lovely too. Oh, I almost forgot the Modulars, if they count. And the Winter line... :wacko:

But Castle leads the pack because of it's longevity and timelessness, and there are limitless building possibilities. And it gave us MMV :wub:.

An idea for this topic - if you could somehow create an updatable poll, so people could choose their favourite theme but change it when they wanted, it could bring some interesting results i.e which themes were 'in' at a time, how popular new themes were etc. However, being naive in this sort of field I don't know if this is possible. :classic:

Edit - and the list of themes to choose from in the poll would be quite large... :grin:

Edited by Commander Laquiet

My favorite themes have always been Space and Technic, but I'm also into City (both classic and modern), 90s Aquazone, Model Team and Creator.

the best subtheme ever is Res-Q (the reason why I wrote that article). I still own only one set, 6445, but the fun I had with the playability... incredible.

Res-Q is one of my favorite City subthemes too, alongside Launch Command. The futuristic look of the theme doesn't appeal to everyone, but the sets are packed with features and details, and they also came at a time when most of the regular City sets sucked.

I love to collect minifigures from every theme, but City would have to be my favorite theme to build in since there's so many types of designs to choose from.

LegoGalactus

Edited by LegoGalactus

Star Wars, of course, for dragging me out of my dark ages and for the immense variety in all the many sets. UCS.

Being an archaeologist, of course I like Indy as well, and Creator for the good sets with many pieces. And Classic Space was good back in the days. Fantasy era gave os a lot of good stuff, and I have bought all of Kingdoms so far.

But SW is still no 1!

Classic Space - without question.

(maybe Town)

Totally agree. Classic Space - The original, the best.

Edited by Praetorian

Hmm this is a tough one. Would have to be a toss up between:

-Classic Pirates (suppose you could include new Pirates, they're very decent)

-Classic Castle (Castle went through a bad period there for a while, after the Royal Knights, but the new Kingdoms stuff is pretty good)

-Western

Whitout a doubt: Blacktron I.

Black and trans-yellow with details in yellow and trans-red and the fig is probbably the coolest fig of all time. Can it become any better than that? :wub:

Edited by Mirandir

I only had 1 Lego set as a child (it being too expensive) so I can't comment on anything in the past. I started my Lego obsession about 4 years ago so in that time I'd have to say Star Wars. The sets are wonderful representations from a movie I love so it's the winner for me.

For me it is definetely and unchallanged.... wait for it... "CASTLE"!

Now it is time to give this theme the sets it deserves. There is enough effort been put into city, when it comes to set-design :devil: .

It's a tough one for me. I had the most fun with some Star Wars sets. I love them. But there is also too much rubbish, and we vote here for a theme and not for 3 sets or so. Then Classic Town needs to be considered, between 1980 and 1996. It has such a vast amount of beautiful sets and is just so amazingly innocent and cute. Then there are themes I don't own or I own just a few sets of and so I shouldn't vote for them but Prince of Persia, Classic Space and Classic Castle are all pretty solid and nice.

My vote goes to Indiana Jones. Amazing vehicles. Amazing playsets. Amazing minifigs. Colours. Detail. Parts. I own almost all the classic sets and there is only one faulty, the Flying Wing. Besides, they are all just beautiful.

If Prince of Persia included well-designed shields for the soldiers and more sets with actually Persian inspired buildings like the Battle of Almut set (as opposed to vehicles or random scenes from the movie, example: Ostrich race) then Prince of Persia would for sure be my favorite theme.

However, with only 6 sets and only two sets including decent size "Persian inspired" structures it is hard to rank it higher than the Castle theme...my theme from childhood.

List of my favorite themes:

Classic Castle (and the new Kingdoms)

Prince of Persia

Orient Expedition

Indiana Jones

Adventurers

Pharaoh's Quest

Right now, out of those, I only have sets from Prince of Persia and Castle. Plan to buy the Pyramid from Pharaoh's Quest. I'd probably only buy a couple select favorite sets from the other themes if they were ever made available again for a reasonable price.

If a subtheme on its own is also a valid choice, then I know what my answer will be:

REDCOATS!

Beats even Star Wars.

If one need take an entire theme representing all its subthemes, it would have to be Adventurers. Could you name a bad set of the line? :classic:

SW is pretty close, but Adventurers is just more classic Lego if you know what I mean!

Well, my favourite theme is either Harry Potter or Indiana Jones. But if you mean the most popular/successful theme, I'd have to go with Star Wars. I do like Star Wars, but it's not one of my favourites.

I like ALOT of themes so I have no favouirte :laugh:

Here are some of my favs in no paticluar order:

Harry Potter-Great sets and figs.

Collectable Minifigures-So easy to MOC with and their nice on display.

Ninjago-Great imagentation in sets. (I know it's new but these are themes I LIKE :grin: )

OT Star Wars-Clone Wars lost out because of those creepy minifig faces :laugh:

CITY-So basic but easy to MOC with.

Pompommini out :classic:

Well... Here it goes:

1.Technic,City and Kingdoms

2.Old (classic) themes: classic Space,Town...

3.Trains (both classic and new)

I also like supplementary sets.

I like other themes too ,but these are my favourites! :classic: