Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

5 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

It seems to treat the brick base and the little orange wheels as separate components.

Actually, they are: It’s an assembly of four parts (the frame, the belt, and the two axle holes). So that may explain these problems, though other assemblies don’t have them.

Edited by SylvainLS

I found another bug with the Mini Heads (Part 3626) in the menu. As shown here the two Mini Heads in the red box are repeated where they are just in the opposite directions. Since this Mini Head actually has two designs with one on each side maybe that's the reason why two copies were added accidentally.

Found a glitch while building with transparent parts: 

Edited by LXF

So , today was playing with transparency again. If you make the side cover(s) of an AA PF battery box transparent , one can see through it's bottom (the bottom is colored with a non-transparent color , see underside picture).

640x334.jpg640x334.jpg

Edited by LXF

Oh, c'mon - today is my lucky day :

640x334.jpg

Instructions to recreate this: first place the black connector slightly offset (the minimal distance LDD allows you) , then  place the axle (LBG on picture) in the pin hole

Someone already reported the issue with part 60599 not accepting 57895 or 60803 in LDD, and I know that at this point these bug reports are more or less shouting into the wind, but I figure I might as well also point out that it also doesn't work with 92589 or 60621. One of the summer Elves sets seems to use these parts together, and to be honest the connection points and compatibility of 60599 ought to be the same as the ones on 60596.

Part 48989 conflicts with anything placed over it when attached to technic style bricks.

48989.png

This should be possible to do this from set 71040

Castle%2048989.png

I don't have one on hand IRL so either the part is too thick or this exploits something.

1 hour ago, Raven Liquid said:

Part 48989 conflicts with anything placed over it when attached to technic style bricks.

48989.png

This should be possible to do this from set 71040

Castle%2048989.png

I don't have one on hand IRL so either the part is too thick or this exploits something.

It's a little bit of both, as far as I can tell. Frictionless pins (like the ones used on that part) are loose enough to allow for a little bit of "wobble", allowing a part that geometrically ought to collide when the pins are centered to not pose as much of a problem. But since LDD uses rigid geometries with all connection points centered by default, it doesn't allow for that kind of leeway.

This issue has existed for a while and I generally get around it by "scaffolding" the parts above those sorts of connections slightly higher. The easiest way to do that is to use a 1x1 brick with a side stud attached to the side of a 1x1 brick with a Technic hole, which creates the exact offset you need to compensate for those sorts of connections. It can be a bit frustrating since it takes the build "out of system" and can complicate things higher up in a model as large as this, but considering the challenges fixing that issue might entail, it's probably the most practical solution in the long term.

54 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

It's a little bit of both, as far as I can tell. Frictionless pins (like the ones used on that part) are loose enough to allow for a little bit of "wobble", allowing a part that geometrically ought to collide when the pins are centered to not pose as much of a problem. But since LDD uses rigid geometries with all connection points centered by default, it doesn't allow for that kind of leeway.

This issue has existed for a while and I generally get around it by "scaffolding" the parts above those sorts of connections slightly higher. The easiest way to do that is to use a 1x1 brick with a side stud attached to the side of a 1x1 brick with a Technic hole, which creates the exact offset you need to compensate for those sorts of connections. It can be a bit frustrating since it takes the build "out of system" and can complicate things higher up in a model as large as this, but considering the challenges fixing that issue might entail, it's probably the most practical solution in the long term.

Well, I decided to cheat and created a replica with four 4274 pegs and one 32523 beam. It does not have any structural integrity in comparison but the basic shape is the same and the additional holes are not used. It is literally the foundation so scaffolding would raise the entire model a bit above the current ground level borders.

I happened to find an illegal connection in LDD that's not possible in real life.

A 1x4 plate.tile or longer cannot be connected like it is in this picture

ldd_bug.png

Might have to do with minor adjustment errors that LDD has but it was a disappointment as it would have been a perfect connection for my Skeleton Dragon Moc

12 minutes ago, ChristopherLee said:

Replace those with two 1x1 plates and it will legally connect with the 1x4 plate

I know that. That's the connection I use. I'm just pointing this one out so other people don't make the same mistake I did.

I've been messing with that since you brought it up, @Takanuinuva.

Using the 1x1 brick with studs on opposite sides, It seems to only work when you connect the plate to one side-- you can't put plates on both ends.

Using the 1x1 brick with one stud, it doesn't work at all.

Using the 1x1 brick with corner studs, you can attach plates on both corners. 

Using the 1x1 brick with 4 studs, you can attach plates on all four sides.

Weird logic in the code for LDD that's allowing this. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Edited by ChristopherLee

I don't know if it's already known:

mRqkQ1I.jpg

6536 Cross Block 90° can be attached to the 4 lateral studs of the 4733 With 4 knobs but not at the top one (the error seem to be on the 4733 part, as any tecnhic part shows this behavior)

Edited by Wolfolo

Yet another random collision error which I found recently. As shown here the Tree is colliding into the Flower Stalk. This collison error may be more wide-spread than what is shown in the Screenshot as I’ve only tested this in one position: the one in the Screenshot. As a result, placing the Flower Stalk and/or the Flower in various other positions may also cause this error.

Found a glitch when building a base.

If part https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32028#T=C

Is attached to part https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30518&idColor=5#T=C&C=5

Bricks cannot be attached to the first part. Even though its used in this set as a connection. https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=1351-1

Granted its with the 8 long version but it should still work with the short one.

If anyone is not aware of the dual color legs, there is an error with certain color combinations. Here's an example.

594d91dbaed29_LDDDualLegs.png.fa4855b46e7fe3b77f1096fc52bab69f.png

On 24/06/2017 at 4:19 PM, MatthewRC said:

If anyone is not aware of the dual color legs, there is an error with certain color combinations. Here's an example.

594d91dbaed29_LDDDualLegs.png.fa4855b46e7fe3b77f1096fc52bab69f.png

+1 to this. Also they won't allow decorations on the arms or legs of these parts and trying to render them in other programs will give off a glitchy look. Might work better in ldd if they would be made of 4 separate meshes for the legs so the colours would not glitch out anymore and allow for decorations although of course they would act as one part when you move it around or swivel the joints and on the part count.

Part 75535 Tube Ø 7,84X16 seems to be incorrect somewhere. In LDD it appears to be a tube with two flat ends, so when I used it to build a series of water pipes I had to use a Connector Peg W. Knob (Part 4274) and a few Connector Peg (Part 3613) to connect everything together in the middle. However, when I checked online this Brick seems to already have a Knob on one side sticking out of the tube. Different LEGO Databases showed me different versions but on LEGO’s Bricks & Pieces the Brick is shown to have a Knob. Can someone clarify for me what this Brick actually looks like so that I can use it successfully in my latest build which may have a chance to turn into reality? Thanks in advance!

LDD is correct.

75535 has no knob/stud, it’s a technic pin/peg joint. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=75535#T=C

Note though that, since 2006-2009, it has been replaced by 62462. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=62462#T=C

A similar part with a stud is 71075 (71076 for BrickLink, 71075a in LDraw; there seems to be a mess with these IDs…). It’s just a cylinder brick and it’s rare and expensive. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=71076#T=C

Just now, SylvainLS said:

LDD is correct.

75535 has no knob/stud, it’s a technic pin/peg joint. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=75535#T=C

Note though that, since 2006-2009, it has been replaced by 62462. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=62462#T=C

A similar part with a stud is 71075 (71076 for BrickLink, 71075a in LDraw; there seems to be a mess with these IDs…). It’s just a cylinder brick and it’s rare and expensive. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=71076#T=C

Thanks for the information. So there must be something wrong with Brickset as seen in this link which shows an image of Part 75535 in White. Other than that, try searching for Part 75535 on LEGO’s Bricks & Pieces and all of the images are showing a tube with a knob on one side (currently all out of stock), so LEGO may also be wrong as well in this case. I’m aware of the other similar version which is commonly seen in a metallic colour and used together with Part 71076.

Looks more like an anti-stud than a stud but still an error, and still strange that they make that kind of error. Maybe because it’s an obsolete part, not made anymore, they don’t care….

Oh, another way to check: find a (small) set that uses one and look at the instructions. (e.g.: http://bricks.argz.com/ins/1280-1 )