Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

Hello all.

First time poster and user of LDD 4.0

I purchased the Technic Snow Groomer #8263 and it has four rails, part #4540797. Whre is this part in LDD?

Alas! Are you talking about this piece? If so, I'm afraid to say it's not on LDD. Here's hoping to see it in a future LDD release... there's a certain BIONICLE set I wouldn't be ashamed to build if it were made available.

In the future, let me warn you that the 7-digit part number in the back of the instruction booklets isn't easy to look up. That's the ID number LEGO uses to identify a specific part with a specific color or pattern, and is used by Customer Service, Pick-A-Brick, etc. When working with LDD it's more useful to have the four- or five-digit part number that identifies that shape of part. Since that's not anywhere in the instruction booklet, it's best to either look for it molded into the piece or just give a link to the Bricklink page for the piece (which may or may not have the correct number).

Found two more errors. Part 53452 has a boundary error (Here's an image). Also, there's a boundary error on part 30140 (image). The blue bricks in both images should be able to attach.

Hopefully this is simple enough...

Here's an issue I've just now come across with LDD4. When trying to rotate the black hinge toward the wheels, this is the absolute limit of rotation, give or take tenths of degrees. If I rotate it the other way it doesn't go far past the floor.

untitled-1.png

One I may or may not have mentioned before: the blade of part 30173 Ninja Sword should be able to fit into any hole or clip that can hold a 3.2 mm. bar. Examples can be seen on pages 2 and 20 of the instruction booklet for set 6088 Robber's Retreat.

Edited by Aanchir

Found two more errors. Part 53452 has a boundary error (Here's an image). Also, there's a boundary error on part 30140 (image). The blue bricks in both images should be able to attach.

Are you sure about 30140. I just can't see how a stud would fit up against the flat surface.

The bow sure does have a collision volume problem. Good find. I also noticed that if you take 1x2 plate and position it on the center pin at 90 degrees on the foremost of the tree studs, it will (incorrectly) connect.

PS: Has the technique with the 53452 bow ever been used in an official set?

Alas! Are you talking about this piece? If so, I'm afraid to say it's not on LDD. Here's hoping to see it in a future LDD release... there's a certain BIONICLE set I wouldn't be ashamed to build if it were made available.

In the future, let me warn you that the 7-digit part number in the back of the instruction booklets isn't easy to look up. That's the ID number LEGO uses to identify a specific part with a specific color or pattern, and is used by Customer Service, Pick-A-Brick, etc. When working with LDD it's more useful to have the four- or five-digit part number that identifies that shape of part. Since that's not anywhere in the instruction booklet, it's best to either look for it molded into the piece or just give a link to the Bricklink page for the piece (which may or may not have the correct number).

Yup, that's the piece. Thanks for the reply and the info on the part numbers.

Are you sure about 30140. I just can't see how a stud would fit up against the flat surface.

The bow sure does have a collision volume problem. Good find. I also noticed that if you take 1x2 plate and position it on the center pin at 90 degrees on the foremost of the tree studs, it will (incorrectly) connect.

PS: Has the technique with the 53452 bow ever been used in an official set?

In regards to 30140, it could fit. It isn't a connection, but the plate should sit flush with the "lip" of the wall element. To see what I mean, try the same construction on Part 4444: That one is coded properly, and allows studs to sit underneath its lip without any problems.

And while that exact technique hasn't been used in sets with 53452, it is used to illustrate a problem which did occur in a set. In 2008's Troll Warship, part 4510 ran along the front of the bow. I encountered the problem there, and tried to create an example image which didn't use SNOT, which I thought made it more confusing.

In regards to 30140, it could fit. It isn't a connection, but the plate should sit flush with the "lip" of the wall element. To see what I mean, try the same construction on Part 4444: That one is coded properly, and allows studs to sit underneath its lip without any problems.

And while that exact technique hasn't been used in sets with 53452, it is used to illustrate a problem which did occur in a set. In 2008's Troll Warship, part 4510 ran along the front of the bow. I encountered the problem there, and tried to create an example image which didn't use SNOT, which I thought made it more confusing.

I tried with a physcial 30140 and 4444, and that lip of the 30140 is actually thicker and it wouldn't allow a brick to fit under. However, the 4444 did fit (but just - hard to tell if it puts stress on the elements - might be that that it's actually illegal even though it works in LDD).

I tried to build the Troll Warship bow, and you are right, the collision boxes on the the bow are incorrect.

Superkalle, has there been any update about the bug with LDD4 and the Building Guide mode not correctly displaying the color of the pieces you need to put into an instruction step when building an HTML model guide?

I do want this bug fixed, because ever since they started using Bill of Materials for each step in printed guides, TLG has always shown the correct color of bricks in printed instructions where it was necessary, and I do not expect LDD to behave differently.

It is a real problem for me when I try to build a LU version of a model and the printed HTML version does not show the correct colors for a model, particularly when multiple steps might need the same brick in one or more different colors.

If they are able to fix this bug quickly, I would appreciate it but I understand if they are waiting for enough fixes to go into the next update, although with the means available for updating code today, it really shouldn't be a problem for them to publish a fix for each bug as they find it. This would also speed up testing of bug fixes so they could issue a second fix if the first fix didn't stop the bug, or if it made a new bug appear.

I really would like to see bugfixes published faster though! Also, I have a 100.0 Mbps download speed (read: really fast), so a little file like 50MB or even 60MB wouldn't be any problem at all to me if they had to redownload the whole package to fix a bug. I wonder if they could find a faster download delivery system which could better serve fast ADSL links such as mine? If one doesn't get in early on the LDD updates, it can slow down a lot!

Superkalle, has there been any update about the bug with LDD4 and the Building Guide mode not correctly displaying the color of the pieces you need to put into an instruction step when building an HTML model guide?

Hm, can you refresh my mind on this one. Where exactly (which colors) was it that you saw the problem? :blush:

Regarding bugfix releases, I guess you're right about faster updating. However, as always, the answer I get when asking is that LU Mode is released to fans "as-is" and is not an officially supported version. Besides, the hole setup is pretty much lined up in the interview published here a few months ago. It explains in detail how the LDD team work and what we can expect.

Having said that, I'm really looking forward to a bug-fix update as well, whenever it arrives :classic:

not sur eit actually belongs in this thread, buuuuut I've tried 3 times installing LDD 4 and all 3 times I get to the point where it checks system requirements and it freezes my computer. Anyone else have this problem or know how i can get around it?!

Hm, can you refresh my mind on this one. Where exactly (which colors) was it that you saw the problem? :blush:

Regarding bugfix releases, I guess you're right about faster updating. However, as always, the answer I get when asking is that LU Mode is released to fans "as-is" and is not an officially supported version. Besides, the hole setup is pretty much lined up in the interview published here a few months ago. It explains in detail how the LDD team work and what we can expect.

Having said that, I'm really looking forward to a bug-fix update as well, whenever it arrives :classic:

If you build any model created in LU mode, it will generate the colors in the piece count for the pieces shown for each step in the default color of red. This apparently only shows up in the HTML guide, but NOT when it generates the building instructions on-screen, when LDD is building the HTML building guide for LU models, and I did not think it was asking too much of TLG to fix this bug.

Edited by ghyde

not sur eit actually belongs in this thread, buuuuut I've tried 3 times installing LDD 4 and all 3 times I get to the point where it checks system requirements and it freezes my computer. Anyone else have this problem or know how i can get around it?!

What are your computer specifications? Maybe the LDD doesnt recognize some hardware?

Hello,

This is my first message.

I am not able to make the connection on page 35 of the 8682 Nitro Imtimidator set in LDD 4.0.

I tried building the T11 Jedi Striker in LDD4 today, and I could not finish the model.

This model requires two 3x4 wedge plates (48183 or 90194) to be inserted next to the cockpit.

t11_jedi_striker_final_step.png

However, this is impossible in LDD. :sadnew:

t11_jedi_striker_error.png

LXF File

By the way, I used a 2x2 round brick (6143) to align a 4M axle (3705) over the place where the 3x3 disk (2723) needed to go, and slid the disk down the axle into position. :grin: It wouldn't attach otherwise.

-Toa Of Justice

I tried building the T11 Jedi Striker in LDD4 today, and I could not finish the model.

This model requires two 3x4 wedge plates (48183 or 90194) to be inserted next to the cockpit.

However, this is impossible in LDD. :sadnew:

LXF File

By the way, I used a 2x2 round brick (6143) to align a 4M axle (3705) over the place where the 3x3 disk (2723) needed to go, and slid the disk down the axle into position. :grin: It wouldn't attach otherwise.

-Toa Of Justice

There seems to be some clipping issue going on in your model there, I can get those wedge plates into the sides just fine if I remove the cockpit piece, but it won't reattach in the same position.

Most likely there is a clipping issue with the cockpit piece that is preventing something that's possible with the real piece, and that issue should be reported to the LDD Team so they can fix that clipping issue.

Most likely there is a clipping issue with the cockpit piece that is preventing something that's possible with the real piece, and that issue should be reported to the LDD Team so they can fix that clipping issue.

Yepp, you're right. The bug was actually reported several months ago, so I hope it has been fixed by now (a fix we off course see until the next release :sceptic: )

Hello,

This is my first message.

I am not able to make the connection on page 35 of the 8682 Nitro Imtimidator set in LDD 4.0.

Welcome to the forum!

And well spotted bug. I'll report it :classic:

Hey, Superkalle. I found a folder on BS, which has a lot of bugs. Some are known, but I haven't seen others before, so they might be of use to you :classic:

Here's the link

Steering gear part (32069) wont connect to beams, but it will connect to bricks with holes.

steeringgearbug.png

In some cases you can use 2 half beams.

Hey, Superkalle. I found a folder on BS, which has a lot of bugs. Some are known, but I haven't seen others before, so they might be of use to you :classic:

Here's the link

Thanks Prateek :classic:

I'll have a look at them

(snippage)

I've been playing around with this bug, and it would appear that it has something to do with LU-mode itself. Models not created in LU-mode can have LU models imported into the mode they were created in, or vice versa, and will have their colors correctly rendered into the brick BOM for each step, but the LU-mode model will still not have it's colors correctly rendered in the BOM no matter what I do.

Therefore, it would appear that this bug is specific only to LU mode and models created in that mode.

Edited by ghyde

Therefore, it would appear that this bug is specific only to LU mode and models created in that mode.

It only affects bricks 'painted' in Universe mode, if you change the colour then insert the brick it works as it should. Presumably there is some information about the colour when a brick is initially inserted that the paint bucket tool is not updating correctly.