Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

8 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Looks more like an anti-stud than a stud but still an error, and still strange that they make that kind of error. Maybe because it’s an obsolete part, not made anymore, they don’t care….

Oh, another way to check: find a (small) set that uses one and look at the instructions. (e.g.: http://bricks.argz.com/ins/1280-1 )

Thanks for that, but check this out as well: I took this screenshot directly from LEGO’s official Bricks & Pieces and Part 75535 seems to have a Knob on one side even though it shouldn’t have! So did LEGO get this Brick wrong themselves as well?

Edited by suenkachun

5 minutes ago, suenkachun said:

So did LEGO get this Brick wrong themselves as well?

Yes, and it’s LEGO I meant by “they” because Brickset’s pictures (and a good part of their data) directly come from LEGO.

I was looking at ways to connect the Design Shape W/ Tube, Crosshole (Part 25214) and discovered another bug in LDD. In Set 10257: Carousel, two of these in White are connected together to form the neck of the White Swan with the help of a 2M Cross Axle W. Groove (Part 32062) in Red. I intend to replicate this build with one of the tubes placed the other way round to form a sort of S-shape. However, even when I’ve inserted everything to the maximum there is still a gap in between the two tubes!

On 04/09/2017 at 9:43 PM, suenkachun said:

I was looking at ways to connect the Design Shape W/ Tube, Crosshole (Part 25214) and discovered another bug in LDD. In Set 10257: Carousel, two of these in White are connected together to form the neck of the White Swan with the help of a 2M Cross Axle W. Groove (Part 32062) in Red. I intend to replicate this build with one of the tubes placed the other way round to form a sort of S-shape. However, even when I’ve inserted everything to the maximum there is still a gap in between the two tubes!

Referring to my earlier post, I have tested the Bricks in question again by inserting a Red Cross Axle into two Transparent Tubes, one on each side. This screenshot shows the results where a gap is clearly visible in-between the two Tubes. As seen in Set 10257: Carousel and a few sets from The LEGO Batman Movie, two or more of this Tubes are often used right next to each other to form a series of pipes (which is also what I’m using the Tubes for in my current build). Therefore, could the issue in LDD be that the two hollow sections inside the Tube are not deep enough, or is the Cross Axle slightly longer than it should have been? Before I continue to build my pipes with two Tubes right next to each other I need confirmation that this connection is actually working fully in reality. If proved to be fully working I will scaffold one next to the other and place the Cross Axle aside then update my model when this connection is fixed in LDD. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it’s an LDD error. The hollows in the tubes are too short in LDD. It works seamlessly and effortlessly in real life.

For the first time ever, I was able to confirm a new bug in LDD by testing one of the combinations with actual LEGO Bricks! If you follow the steps below to recreate the combination of Bricks you will see that the topmost part is currently not possible in LDD but works completely in reality!

1. Prepare either one of the Bricks below: Shaft 3M Ø3.2 (Part 87994), Light Sword - Blade (Part 30374), Standard Ø3.18 x 53 (Part 4095) or Stick 6M W/Flange (Part 63965).

2. Attach a Round Brick 1x1 (Part 3062) to the top of the first Brick.

3. Try adding a Plate or Flat Tile on top of the Round Brick (any one will do) and in LDD this connection is not yet possible! I was hoping to attach a Flat Tile 1x1, Round (Part 98138) onto the top of the Round Brick to prevent it from being attached to any Bricks further above, and this particular combination has been tested in reality to prove that it works completely!

Just now, suenkachun said:

For the first time ever, I was able to confirm a new bug in LDD by testing one of the combinations with actual LEGO Bricks! If you follow the steps below to recreate the combination of Bricks you will see that the topmost part is currently not possible in LDD but works completely in reality!

1. Prepare either one of the Bricks below: Shaft 3M Ø3.2 (Part 87994), Light Sword - Blade (Part 30374), Standard Ø3.18 x 53 (Part 4095) or Stick 6M W/Flange (Part 63965).

2. Attach a Round Brick 1x1 (Part 3062) to the top of the first Brick.

3. Try adding a Plate or Flat Tile on top of the Round Brick (any one will do) and in LDD this connection is not yet possible! I was hoping to attach a Flat Tile 1x1, Round (Part 98138) onto the top of the Round Brick to prevent it from being attached to any Bricks further above, and this particular combination has been tested in reality to prove that it works completely!

This is a longstanding issue with LDD whereby the undersides of most parts are not actually programmed as "hollow". You can get around it slightly by making sure that the piece with the 3.2mm bar extends only slightly into the 1x1 round brick, so that it doesn't actually extend into the "stud" that is meant to connect to another part (the easiest way to check this is to turn the 1x1 round brick transparent so that you can be sure of how far it connects). Of course, this workaround only works in situations where space isn't at a premium...

Found a bug with Terabytes helmet from ultra agents. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=18335c01pb01&idColor=77#T=C&C=77

It has the option to be dual colored but when attempting to do so. The second color just reverts to the first color.

(When attempting to make the parts that are trans green, Trans green. they revert back to gunmetal gray)

I recently noticed this 2011 Monthly Mini Model Build featuring a brick-built version of Dracula. In the set, 1x1 slopes are inverted to create a chevron pattern on the vampire’s chest, which is a technique rarely seen in official LEGO sets. This unique build is currently impossible in LDD and I want to know whether this is considered to be an “illegal build” and is there an alternative way to build something similar in LDD. Thanks in advance!

AFAICT, it’s legal. There’re similar decors on the Horizon Express 10233-1.

The cheese slope just has too big a collision box in LDD. It happens.

Here’s another bug which just appeared recently on my LDD. Try inserting a Sign - Stop (Part 3900) into a Plate 1x2 W. 1 Knob (Part 3794), and the Knob on the Plate which should be surrounding the end of the Sign suddenly vanishes like magic after you confirm your placement (but the Knob is still visible when you are still moving either Brick by each other and haven’t clicked to place it there)! This means that on your screen you’ll be seeing the end of a Stick connected directly to a Plate as if they were a single Brick altogether! I haven’t checked other Bricks but this seems to be the only example so far. To better demonstrate this bug, I have taken a last-minute Screenshot which can be seen here.

On 17/09/2017 at 12:54 AM, Lyichir said:

This is a longstanding issue with LDD whereby the undersides of most parts are not actually programmed as "hollow". You can get around it slightly by making sure that the piece with the 3.2mm bar extends only slightly into the 1x1 round brick, so that it doesn't actually extend into the "stud" that is meant to connect to another part (the easiest way to check this is to turn the 1x1 round brick transparent so that you can be sure of how far it connects). Of course, this workaround only works in situations where space isn't at a premium...

Referring back to my earlier post here, perhaps this is the reason why any Studs will disappear under the 1/4 Circle Tile 1x1 (Part 25269), as the underneath of the 1/4 Circle Tile may not have been actually programmed as “hollow”.

4 hours ago, suenkachun said:

Referring back to my earlier post here, perhaps this is the reason why any Studs will disappear under the 1/4 Circle Tile 1x1 (Part 25269), as the underneath of the 1/4 Circle Tile may not have been actually programmed as “hollow”.

Nah, I think that's a separate programming issue—as far as I'm aware, studs with solid-colored parts attached to them are not rendered by default, which helps the program to render complete models easier... but sometimes causes issues when a part is attached only by that stud but the stud is visible anyway. Notice that changing the color of the tile to a transparent color makes the studs visible again.

This issue doesn't seem to affect all such parts, though (for instance, studs underneath the roller skate piece seem to be rendered due to the gaps), indicating that exceptions to the rule seem to be able to be programmed in.

On 19/12/2017 at 7:09 AM, Lyichir said:

Nah, I think that's a separate programming issue—as far as I'm aware, studs with solid-colored parts attached to them are not rendered by default, which helps the program to render complete models easier... but sometimes causes issues when a part is attached only by that stud but the stud is visible anyway. Notice that changing the color of the tile to a transparent color makes the studs visible again.

This issue doesn't seem to affect all such parts, though (for instance, studs underneath the roller skate piece seem to be rendered due to the gaps), indicating that exceptions to the rule seem to be able to be programmed in.

On a side note, referring back to the Stop Sign error, using Transparent colours for the Plate 1x2 W. 1 Knob underneath the Stop Sign also makes the Knob re-appear, but it will always “disappear” as long as a solid colour is being used for the Plate.

I couldn't find bug list for 4.3.10 so I am reporting a repeatable bug. It seems my LDD 4.3.10 does not like to handle large number of 16x16 plates.  I can get up to around 800 of such plates but at 1000+ LDD just quits. No error message, no prompt to save, nothing it's just quit.

Also is LEGO server down? I keep getting internet access fail when I start LDD.

7 hours ago, Lego Otaku said:

I couldn't find bug list for 4.3.10 so I am reporting a repeatable bug. It seems my LDD 4.3.10 does not like to handle large number of 16x16 plates.  I can get up to around 800 of such plates but at 1000+ LDD just quits. No error message, no prompt to save, nothing it's just quit.

Also is LEGO server down? I keep getting internet access fail when I start LDD.

LEGO has officially discontinued support for 4.3.10. You will need to update to 4.3.11. And also what do you need 1000 16x16 plates for? You might need to turn down the render quality to let your computer handle that many polygons. 

I have not posted on Eurobricks or visited the site in a very long time. During this period, I continued to build with LDD and even learnt how to use customised decorations in my projects (I will not mention any details here as we all know that this is not supposed to be legal). Throughout this process, I found a way to eliminate a tiny visual bug someone posted in one of these topics back in the day.

Referring to this image, there is a weird frame around that particular icon in the menu. Upon closer inspections, I found this image amongst the assets of the programme. By comparing the image with other ones in the same folder such as this one, we can clearly see that image 274 contains some weird lines in the middle, which is the main cause of the tiny visual bug.

I then decided to try and fix the bug by editing the PNG file of image 274. In Microsoft Paint, I opened image 277 and discovered that it included the three icons above a transparent background. Then I temporarily made this background black, before opening image 274. Next, I painted everything outside the three icons of image 274 black, making sure that this area was an exact match to the temporary black area in image 277. Finally, I used my trusted Free Online Image Editor and turned the black part of image 274 transparent, meaning that it now includes the three icons above a transparent background like the rest of the images. By replacing the original image 274 with this new image, LDD now loads the icon in the menu without that weird frame.

I can only reveal that the images are found under a folder called “MainGroupDividers”, as the entire process is only possible after you learnt how to use customised decorations in LDD, which is not supposed to be legal. But feel free to use my corrected image if you still want to fix this tiny visual bug. Until next time!

EDIT: Found the original post:

Edited by suenkachun