Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

30374 connects with 6587, 4589 connects with 6587, 30374 connects with 4589. But you can't connect these 3 parts together. (LDD removes one of them reopening the file)

Yeah, this is a well known bug. There is a workaround though, not perfect, but still.

Looking at the attached image

- Yellow bar will work

- Orange bar will be removed

- Red bar will work

For the yellow bar, the trick is to place the bar first, and then the 1x1 cone

post-4755-0-99916000-1422026382_thumb.png

Thanks Superkalle, I experienced the same. Yellow and red work but the 3 parts are not connected together, just 2 of the 3.

Next time I wil try to search the forum before I post a known bug. :wink:

I'm having some problems with 1st-generation TECHNIC fairings.

tube-in-fairing.png_thumb.jpg

^ click for larger picture ^

I had a look at this.

I don't have the fairings, but a friend of mine measured the holes in one of his and they were 7.7 mm.

The 6590 bushing I measured to 7.4 mm, and the 62462 2L Tube to almost 7.9 mm.

So based on this, it seems that the yellow fairings in your picture are buggy in the sense that they should accept the 6590 bushing, but that the fairings are are correct in that they shouldn't accept the 2L Tube. This would also mean that the blue fairings in your picture have to small collision volumes, i.e. they allow bricks into the holes that won't fit with physical bricks (i.e. the 2L Tube).

Here is a little summary and update on the errors related to animals. Most of the animals in the Regular Mode of LDD have no facial expressions/printing on them, such as the Cats, Dogs and Birds. We can add the facial expressions/printing to certain animals in LDD Extended, with two examples being the Cats (Part 13786) and Kittens (Part 6251), but for other animals we simply cannot do that. In the Regular Mode of LDD, the Medium Nought Kitten (Part 6251), Chihuahua Dog (Part 12888) and Small Ape (Part 95327) are all available both with and without facial expressions/printing. For the Hedgehog (Part 98389), it's both in the wrong colour and lacking facial expressions/printing in the Regular Mode of LDD. My latest find is that the problem of parts missing facial expressions/printing is also found in the Mini Teddy Bear (Part 98382), where no facial expressions/printing can be added to it in LDD Extended. The correct thing to do is to include the facial expressions/printing for all the animals and the Teddy Bear by default in the Regular Mode of LDD, then there also will not be animals available both with and without facial expressions/printing.

Here are two other errors listed in those posts.

Firstly, certain parts are duplicated in extended mode (I don't know which ones Saberwing40k was talking about though).

Secondly, the Right Points and Left Points (Parts 75541 and 75542) in the Regular Mode of LDD do not come with the Bright Yellow Control Switch (Part 2866). As they are actually two independent parts but need to exist together, the Bright Yellow Control Switch should be provided in the Regular Mode of LDD (it's now found in Extended Mode, but not in Regular Mode).

Edited by suenkachun

Here are three new errors I just found.

In the Regular Mode of LDD, one of the designs of the Mini Head (Part 3626) is duplicated. As shown in the image here: https://www.dropbox.... Error.bmp?dl=0, the highlighted Bricks in the menu are duplicated, where they are simply placed in the opposite directions.

Certain Bricks in LDD cannot be closed properly. The Book (Part 33009) used to be opened but in the latest version it was closed, occupying less space and looking better. However, both the Bag (Part 6203) and the Suitcase With Film Hinge (Part 33007) has their covers unclosed. Both of these parts should give us an option of keeping their covers opened or closed, as like the Book, that can make these Bricks occupy less space and look better. For the Laptop (Part 62698), we should also be able to choose whether to have it folded up or remain opened, but if it was folded up by default, then we won't know it's a Laptop. The simple solution to this is to allow us to use the "Hinge Tool" to move the covers and parts of the Laptop. That way we can even have the Covers half-closed or the Laptop monitor placed upright/in a slanting position just like in reality. For the Book, keeping it closed is fine. If we look at the Computer Programmer Minifigure (Picture can be found on LEGO's website), he is able to hold the closed Laptop in his hand, so that should also be made possible after modifying the Laptop.

Also, I've noticed that in LDD, You can place Flat Tiles on top of a Minifigure's hand, but he/she cannot hold any Flat Tiles (the most common ones are 1x1 Round, 1x2, 1x4, 2x2 and 2x2 Round) with his/her hand. This should be considered legal, as many of the LEGO Minifigures are doing that. Below is a short list of them with the type of Flat Tiles they're holding in brackets (I hpoe I haven't left out any). Pictures can be found on LEGO's website.

Roman Emperor (Flat Tile 2x2)

Fortune Teller (Two Flat Tiles 1x2, one on each hand)

Graduate (Flat Tile 2x2)

Grandpa (Flat Tile 2x2)

Pizza Delivery Man (Flat Tile 2x2, Round)

Trendsetter (Flat Tile 1x2)

Carpenter (Flat Tile 1x4)

Paleontologist (Flat Tile 1x1, Round)

Policeman (Flat Tile 1x2)

Traffic Cop (Flat Tile 1x2)

DJ (Flat Tile 2x2, Round and Flat Tile 2x2, one on each hand)

Disco Dude (Flat Tile 2x2)

Businessman (Flat Tile 2x2)

Surgeon (Flat Tile 2x2)

Nurse (Flat Tile 2x2)

Lady Liberty (Flat Tile 1x2)

Video Game Guy (Flat Tile 1x2, one picture shows him holding it with both hands)

William Shakespeare (Flat Tile 2x2)

Velma Staplebot (Flat Tile 2x2)

Scribble Face Bad Cop (Flat Tile 1x2)

Abraham Lincoln (Flat Tile 2x2)

Hard Hat Emmet (Flat Tile 1x2)

Homer Simpson (Flat Tile 1x1, Round and Flat Tile 1x2, one on each hand)

Marge Simpson (Flat Tile 2x2)

Grampa Simpson (Flat Tile 2x2)

Milhouse van Houten (Flat Tile 2x2)

Ralph Wiggum (Flat Tile 2x2)

Edited by suenkachun

The yellow studless beam cannot be placed under the front part of either foot, but it fits perfectly in the rear part of each foot.

In addition, no studded beam can fit anywhere the studless beam does in LDD. I'm pretty sure it's possible in real life though, given the stud-width groove each foot has.

2001toafootbug.png

LXF File

I just found one more error related to the printing of parts. Like I said in my earlier post, some parts are missing printing, or have a version with printing and another version without printing. Recently, I found two more parts with the same errors. In the Regular Mode of LDD, the Mini Electric Guitar (Part 93564) is available both with and without printing for both the White and Black versions, while the Electric Guitar Shaft (Part 11640) is simply missing printing, where no printing can be added to it in LDD Extended, and I think it should also be in Bright Red as the Rock Star Minifigure (Picture can be found on LEGO's Website) has a Bright Red Electric Guitar Shaft with printing. Once again, the correct thing to do is to provide printing for these parts by default and no blank version should exist.

And here are some more information on the Pie Ø15.83 (Part 93568). For the Medium Nought Pie Ø15.83 (both the Pie and the Topping are in Medium Nought), you can paint both the Pie and the Topping, but for the Pie Ø15.83 with a White Topping, you can only paint the Pie, but not the Topping. Here is the correct thing to do. In reality, the Pie Ø15.83 is currently in two colours: a Pie Ø15.83 with a White Topping is used by the Small Clown Minifigure (Picture can be found on LEGO's Website) while a Pie Ø15.83 with a Yellow Topping is used by the Krusty the Clown Minifigure (Picture can be found on LEGO's Website). I'm not sure what is the exact colour of the second Pie Ø15.83 though, so this needs further confirmation. Therefore, in the Regular Mode of LDD, the Pie Ø15.83 should be provided in their actual two colours, and at the same time, both the Pie and the Topping should be able to be painted in LDD Extended for the two colours. LEGO can simply take the the Medium Nought Pie Ø15.83 (both the Pie and the Topping are in Medium Nought) and modify the colours of it to produce the Pie Ø15.83 in the two colours, while the current Pie Ø15.83 with a White Topping should be deleted as the Topping can't be painted. As there is no Pie Ø15.83 with a Medium Nought Topping in Reality, that colour of the Pie Ø15.83 should not exist after the modifications.

Edit: As I mentioned before the Cats (Part 13786) could have their facial expressions (the eyes and mouth to be exact) added to them in LDD Extended, but in reality both the Medium Stone Grey and the Dark Orange Cat have a White Patch on their front legs just beneath their heads, and the Dark Orange Cat in reality has black stripes on its body on the sides used with the Mrs. Scratchen-Post Minifigure (Picture can be found on LEGO's Website). As these two printing are currently left out, when LEGO fixes the printing errors of the animals, they'll have to pay attention to parts which have included facial expressions/printing somehow but have accidentally left bits of it out.

To sum up my recent posts, all parts with printing in reality should look exactly the same in the Regular Mode of LDD and no plain version of these parts should exist unless they have one in reality. If a part has more than one design (with printing included) in reality, LEGO should simply inset one copy of each design in LDD. Thank you for everyone's attention.

Edited by suenkachun

Part 3960 ROUND PLATE Ø32X6.4 does not fit all the way in 86652 RIM Ø 43,2 X 18. As seen on THIS image. This is as far as it goes: 86652%20error.png

It's is used on page 96 of the 75060 Slave I set.

Part 32187 MIDDLE RING has a too big collision volume. Due to that two of the same parts do not fit together on the narrow end:

32187%20error.png

Part 71155 NET 10X10 is modelled as a filled square. Therefore it is not possible to put the two 30374 LIGHT SWORD - BLADEs through the net (as seen on page 41 of set 7625 River Chase):

71155%20error.png

Edited by Stephan

It's not really a bug, but a baffling thing nonetheless: The Power Functions remote, part #58122, has its frequency selector in the 3 position, but the Power Functions Receiver, part #58123, has its frequency selector in the 1 position.

It would be nice to have option to place 3679 and 3680 as separate bricks, not as an assembly 74340.

Especially it's important for 3680, because some sets (As 10189, Taj Mahal) have 200 of them without brick 3679 at all.

It would be nice to have option to place 3679 and 3680 as separate bricks, not as an assembly 74340.

Especially it's important for 3680, because some sets (As 10189, Taj Mahal) have 200 of them without brick 3679 at all.

Totally agree with that! Actually Part 3680 is also very useful on its own. I saw someone on YouTube doing demos for some LEGO Furniture, and he/she used Part 3680 to represent a CD Tray, which is very identical to the real thing! Therefore, LEGO should make this possible, thank you.

Edited by suenkachun

I failed to bend a laptop (62698).

It is always opened like here:

If you refer to my post #733 earlier above, I have mentioned this issue together with a few related issues. Below is a recap.

Certain Bricks in LDD cannot be closed properly. The Book (Part 33009) used to be opened but in the latest version it was closed, occupying less space and looking better. However, both the Bag (Part 6203) and the Suitcase With Film Hinge (Part 33007) has their covers unclosed. Both of these parts should give us an option of keeping their covers opened or closed, as like the Book, that can make these Bricks occupy less space and look better. For the Laptop (Part 62698), we should also be able to choose whether to have it folded up or remain opened, but if it was folded up by default, then we won't know it's a Laptop. The simple solution to this is to allow us to use the "Hinge Tool" to move the covers and parts of the Laptop. That way we can even have the Covers half-closed or the Laptop monitor placed upright/in a slanting position just like in reality. For the Book, keeping it closed is fine. If we look at the Computer Programmer Minifigure (Picture can be found on LEGO's website), he is able to hold the closed Laptop in his hand, so that should also be made possible after modifying the Laptop.

By the way, I just bought and received a Black Laptop from LEGO's Website. After looking at the real thing, I can say that making it foldable and closable in LDD is really important.

Edited by suenkachun

If you refer to my post #733 earlier above, I have mentioned this issue together with a few related issues. Below is a recap...

My bad.

I had to have to read this topic before my post.

So, yes, this is a duplicate to your suggestion, suenkachun.

I'm sorry.

BTW I've bought the laptop last Sunday. But from different brand than Lego. It's also awesome! =)

Edited by Happy SDE

Part 32187 MIDDLE RING has a too big collision volume. Due to that two of the same parts do not fit together on the narrow end:

32187%20error.png

As far as I can tell, it's not a collision volume error, but rather a snap-error, i.e. the part doesn't snap correctly towards each other. This means it should be possible to manually tweak the position by editing the LXFML file.

EDIT: I measured the MIDDLE RING to about 11.8 mm, but it should be 12.0 to be in system. So the gap we see in LDD should be about 0.2 x 2 = 0.4 mm

I just noticed an error—unlike other parts with a single stud, the stud of 11610 (the ice cream cone) can't attach to Technic axle holes. I can't see any reason why that shouldn't work.

Also, I've noticed that in LDD, You can place Flat Tiles on top of a Minifigure's hand, but he/she cannot hold any Flat Tiles (the most common ones are 1x1 Round, 1x2, 1x4, 2x2 and 2x2 Round) with his/her hand.

There is a way to "move" those parts into the minifig's hand, but the software won't consider it as a connection. The tile will just levitate at the hand but at least it looks realistic. There is a youtube video that shows how to do it, and I have a template file for it.

There is a way to "move" those parts into the minifig's hand, but the software won't consider it as a connection. The tile will just levitate at the hand but at least it looks realistic. There is a youtube video that shows how to do it, and I have a template file for it.

I think that with the new UCS Helicarrier coming this month that "tiles in a clip" should be a recognised connection. This is (I believe) the first official LEGO set that uses this connection (not counting maps or pizzas in minifigures hand)!

There is a way to "move" those parts into the minifig's hand, but the software won't consider it as a connection. The tile will just levitate at the hand but at least it looks realistic. There is a youtube video that shows how to do it, and I have a templatefile for it.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out later.

I think that with the new UCS Helicarrier coming this month that "tiles in a clip" should be a recognised connection. This is (I believe) the first official LEGO set that uses this connection (not counting maps or pizzas in minifigures hand)!

Totally agree with that! Edited by suenkachun

Oh boy, I have some nice ones. I've noticed that virtually every part with a single stud tube connection, with a few inexplicable exceptions, be put between any four studs, like in real life. However, almost all of those parts can be put between two studs, even though that connection is not possible in real life.

Examples:

jumper_plate_bug.jpg

knob_bug.jpg

studbugs.jpg

studbugs2.jpg

Inexplicably, the 40m string with studs will not go between studs, even though, as seen in the pictures above, the 30m variant will. This is by no means a survey of all possible bricks with this kind of connection, but it is a little bit jarring.

Edited by Saberwing40k

Oh boy, I have some nice ones. I've noticed that virtually every part with a single stud tube connection, with a few inexplicable exceptions, be put between any four studs, like in real life. However, almost all of those parts can be put between two studs, even though that connection is not possible in real life.

It's certainly a very "odd" behavior in LDD. From what I remember, the reason it works like this, is to enable users to build connections like the one shown in the attached image in an easy way. If the "connect outside a stud" didn't exist, you'd have to scaffold the build together (going top-down), which is contradictory to the basic concept of the LEGO System, i.e. building bottom-up.

Like you say, the problem is also that there is inconsistency in LDD - some brick can attach outside a stud like you explain, and some can't. Even bricks that won't allow you to put a neighboring brick beside it, like 6177, has this "feature" while a brick like 6576 doesn't (and thus works like it should).

post-4755-0-98340800-1424510697_thumb.png

I found another error! The stud on the back of part 15391 can't attach to Technic holes, even though as a part with only a single stud and no collisions it should be able to.

I found another error! The stud on the back of part 15391 can't attach to Technic holes, even though as a part with only a single stud and no collisions it should be able to.

I'll be happy to report it, but I'm not sure it will be changed. The reason is that a stud-Technic-hole connection is normally not allowed for anything else then shallow decorative elements, such as 1x1 plates, that don't stick out to far (i.e. no risk of being bent out of place). There has been exceptions over the years, for example a 1x1 round brick was used in a SW speeder bike of some sort a few years back, and there was a 1x1 brick with four studs on the sides in a Holidays house two years back (I think it was). But I've learned that the LDD Team are reluctant to put a stud-to-Technic-hole connectivity unless there is an official model with that technique (or to put it in another way: it's more easy to convince them that it is an approved technique if we can show a real case).