Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

Building instruction is still a bit retarded at times. I had a moc that were fairly simple (not challenging like technic, around 500 pieces) and for some dumb reason a lot of pieces were put in out of order. For example it built the wall around but left hole for a 1x2 brick in the middle, which gets added much later. This is not a legal assembly since one would have to take the whole thing apart to insert the 1x2 brick before continuing.

A few floating bricks too before anything under it is actually connected. Sometimes restarting the build instruction works, sometimes it's still weird

EDIT: tried again. Baseplate was on bottom and it was the first item I put down when I started the MOC but LDD added the baseplace *after* some 200 steps with a lot of floating tiles for floor. It's going to be a lot of fun in the future trying to keep all 50 or so tiles lined up, then flip the whole thing and add the baseplate and hope all the tiles stayed in place.

Edited by Lego Otaku

TIP: Snot-building in general really messes up the BI. If you remove everything that's built on from the sides (wheels on tyres, snotted bricks etc), and put that on the scene floor as a separate assembly, that usually makes the BI much better.

If I'm having trouble connecting a piece on the top of another piece. I tend to put a tile on the studs of the piece I'm using. That way the piece will easily connect to the top of the other piece.

It can work the other way if you put a reverse tile on the bottom of the piece as well.

Another collision error, this time between the full bushing, part 6590, and crawler wheel rim 15038 - bushing intrudes into the rim. Occurs regardless of orientation of the bushing, this does not happen with the Unimog rim 44772.

tires_wheels.jpgtires_wheels2.jpg

Cross-posted from LDD update topic:

In the new brickset 1392, found a major (well, for some people) error. IN LDD extended and regular mode, part 76537 (two instances in regular mode - white/black and yellow/black), shock absorber, extra hard, is listed by image in the brick palette, but can't be dragged onto the screen. It is between parts 53533 and 98989. Moreover, models using this part get a bad part error.

Also, part 58118 (FUNC EXT. Wire 50 CM.) has been deleted from the new brickset.

There appears to be superfluous part 95292's in the brick palette in LDD extended mode

Having the same problem with the shock absorbers.

I too can confirm issues with the shock absorbers. The one time I actually need to put them in a model, they won't work! It'd be nice if we could compress them as well...

EDIT: In addition, pins no longer want to connect two beams together in certain situations. There's far too many of these in my current model for me to be able to continue building it, so until this update is fixed I can't use LDD for what I need it to do.

Edited by Phoxtane

I too can confirm issues with the shock absorbers. The one time I actually need to put them in a model, they won't work! It'd be nice if we could compress them as well...

EDIT: In addition, pins no longer want to connect two beams together in certain situations. There's far too many of these in my current model for me to be able to continue building it, so until this update is fixed I can't use LDD for what I need it to do.

Can you share the model?

Can you share the model?

I would, but I want to keep it a secret more or less until I'm ready to reveal it as a proper WIP. I'm making do with SR 3D Builder for now, and may actually stick with it if it continues to go as well as it has. I'll see about trying to reproduce the problem for you at a later time.

I've noticed a design ID mixup between the two "PLATE 1X1 W. HOLDER" parts.

4085 (with its thin clip) is the older part, whereas 60897 (thicker, round-ended clip) is the newest one. The IDs for these are swapped around in LDD, and it's only just occured to me that they've been that way for a looong time. I imagine it would corrupt some older models if this were to be fixed (I have a couple that rely on the smaller collision volume of the 4085).

Well, the 4085 is actually available in both thin and thick clip. What happens is that TLG sometimes update the mold design without changing the DesignID, since they are then using the principle of "equal usage", i.e. the new design has the same function as the old. However, TLG is not all the time consequent because sometimes they do update the DesignID number when the make small alterations to the mold design.

So for the 4085 and 60897, I belive both of them are today manufactured, and both with the thick clip. So in that sense we should be "lucky" that in LDD we still have at least one of them with the thin, old design. :classic:

Plate 1x2,1x3,1x4,etc should fit together with Technic Brick 1x1,1x2,1x4 (6541,32000,3701)

b4.jpg

Plate 1x2,1x3,1x4,etc should fit together with Technic Brick 1x1,1x2,1x4 (6541,32000,3701)

b4.jpg

Nope, any plate bigger than 1x1 is not legal because of strain it may put on the child.

Well, it depends Zblj. The rules (as far as I know) are :

1) Only a single stud per element can be placed in a Technic hole, i.e. cannot put both studs of a a 1x2 plate in the two holes of a 1x2 technic brick etc.

2) Studs in Technic holes should only be used for decorations, not for structural design.

So you should be able to do what Kroom says. There was even a SW mini a few years ago where a the center stud of 1x3 plate was put in a Technic hole.

What about this combinations?

b5.jpg

That's a perfect example of when it ISN'T a legal connection—connecting a piece to a Technic hole by more than one stud locks the parts together too tightly.

I wouldn't mind if connectivity like this were added, if only because I frequently use the offset between bricks with side studs and bricks with Technic holes to make minor adjustments to the position of floating bricks (or supposedly-attached bricks on sets which feature technically illegal connections) and it can occasionally become frustrating to have to recall which bricks have connectivity and which don't.

Interestingly enough though, I belive the following is potentially OK. I've never seen it in an official set, but maybe one day?

post-4755-0-98062400-1407583170_thumb.png

Putting two or more 1x4x6 glass panes right next to each other crashes LDD

The small shock absorber is in the parts list but clicking it does not bring the shock absorber up, Loading models with this part causes LDD to remove them.

Sometimes putting a 1x2 or largerplate in the pinholes of a technic beam causes the brick to be lined up fine but the studs somehow go offset and sink into the brick itself. the plate does go all the way in though which is useful. There's a trick to getting it in but I've forgotten it.

The UV joints cant be moved left/right and up/down per side. not really a bug though.

Some parts with slats such as the 1x2 tile grill piece causes a collision when you try to put something in the slats such as glass.

A lot of parts with cut outs act like this too, like there solid.

Edited by SNIPE

When putting the sides with the nubs on end to end it makes LDD crash.

When putting the sides with the nubs on end to end it makes LDD crash.

Cant make my LDD crash, more details or a pic would be heplfull...

I've tried now but no luck

It happened 2 days ago and many times before this though

I'll keep trying

Edited by SNIPE

LDD Extended: Color Palette's lowest color row is going behind the taskbar.

tS7GgGe.jpg

Probably a known thing, but still need to be reminded of imho.

LDD Extended: Color Palette's lowest color row is going behind the taskbar.

Probably a known thing, but still need to be reminded of imho.

The lowest color row is completely behind the task bar. The one above it is covered half way by the bar. I find that unlocking the task bar and moving it to the right of the screen helps. Still, a scrolling feature for the colors like there is for the decorations would be nice to have.

The lowest color row is completely behind the task bar. The one above it is covered half way by the bar. I find that unlocking the task bar and moving it to the right of the screen helps. Still, a scrolling feature for the colors like there is for the decorations would be nice to have.

Well, I don't want to activate taskbar hiding exclusively for building in LDD.