Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

I think I found a serious bug. It is impossible to attach the Atlantis visor to the normal helmet in LDD 4.1.8. I'm sure it is possible in real life--see this picture.

But it seems LDD has removed this ability... :cry_sad:

helmettest2.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

I think I found a serious bug. It is impossible to attach the Atlantis visor to the normal helmet in LDD 4.1.8. I'm sure it is possible in real life--see this picture.

But it seems LDD has removed this ability... :cry_sad:

helmettest2.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

I think I remember trying this connection, and I couldn't get it to fit really well. So I'm wondering if that visor is supposed to go on the helmet. Can anyone else check?

Nope. I couldn't even get it to go on the Atlantis one either!

The Atlantis visor fits on the Atlantis diving suit piece, because I just tried it. Are you sure you weren't trying the (similar looking) space suit visor piece?

Like Superkalle I have a suspicion it shouldn't fit, but I'm not near my parts at the moment so I can't check.

In real bricks, it fits uncomfortably, but fits.

It is possible to place the visor on the helmet in LDD, anyway.

But, obviously, without connection.

.lxf file.

@ deleus: Yes, it is. Zblj has made X24 and X48 motors :oh3: in LDD, and discussed them on this Eurobricks post. The LDD .lxf files can be downloaded from Zblj's Brickshelf folder. :thumbup:

Zblj also modeled a V8 engine in LDD, which I have placed on MegaUpload SkyDrive here. The 30-45 seconds it will take you to do a quick download will be a lot less time than modeling this engine block youself in LDD! If you want a V6, just peel off two cylinders.

Edited by DLuders

is possible to insert piston brick in the cylinder motor?

thanks in advance

daniele

Hi Daniele

Can you please capitalize your sentences. It is one of the EB site guildelines as this is an AFOL forum.

Thanks for you understanding :classic:

@ deleus: Yes, it is. Zblj has made X24 and X48 motors :oh3: in LDD, and discussed them on this Eurobricks post. The LDD .lxf files can be downloaded from Zblj's Brickshelf folder. :thumbup:

Zblj also modeled a V8 engine in LDD, which I have placed on MegaUpload here. The 30-45 seconds it will take you to do a "Regular Download" will be a lot less than building this engine block! If you want a V6, just peel off two cylinders.

i was able indeed to rotate the pieces but again the piston doesn't enter the cylinder motor brick..:(..i'll post pics later in the day

Edited by deleus

I think I remember trying this connection, and I couldn't get it to fit really well. So I'm wondering if that visor is supposed to go on the helmet. Can anyone else check?

I think it should be able to fit on the helmet, since the older domed visor (from the Launch Command theme and various later themes) can fit on the Atlantis helmet just as well as the Atlantis domed visor. There is a slight difference in the internal geometry of the newer visor, since it seems to be thickened and reinforced in some areas, so perhaps the connection is not truly "legal". But as Calabar demonstrates, both versions "fit" on the regular crash helmet on LDD, the Atlantis version simply won't connect.

It also has to be assumed that if the parts aren't meant to connect, the LDD team didn't originally know this, because the connection was allowed in the earliest version of LDD where both parts were available, and even to this day the Atlantis visor is in DesignByMe without any sign of the Atlantis diving helmet it's "meant" to attach to.

To be fair, there is a part that it should legally be able to connect to in DesignByMe mode-- the breathing mask 6158. But when the connectivity of the visor was changed to disallow use on regular helmets, it was obviously also changed to disallow connectivity with this part. So ironically, DesignByMe mode now includes a part that can't properly attach to any other DesignByMe parts!

When connect Clip-and-Bar Hinge their plates not at the same hight.

Because yellow is lower than green.

Big blue show how "far blue end" looks like.

This model was built without touching any hinge tools.

R2cpP.gif

PS.

Is it true? There is no way to connect Clip-and-Bar Hinge to ideal position (from top view)?

I try the Clip-and-Bar template, but LLD allow two position Clip, both of them are not at the center position.

ChHQt.png

Edited by bbqqq

When connect Clip-and-Bar Hinge their plates not at the same hight.

Because yellow is lower than green.

Big blue show how "far blue end" looks like.

This model was built without touching any hinge tools.

PS.

Is it true? There is no way to connect Clip-and-Bar Hinge to ideal position (from top view)?

I try the Clip-and-Bar template, but LLD allow two position Clip, both of them are not at the center position.

You can connect clip-and-bar hinges from a centered position, and in fact some of the problems with centering them have been fixed. For instance, 48336 and 60470 now connect from the center position without any scaffolding.

For parts like 60478 and 63868, though, a scaffold is needed to get the parts centered. It's not hard, though. Just place two 1x1 plates with a three-stud space in between, and place the two hinge pieces on each of these (but not with the hinges facing each other). Then, use the hinge tool to rotate both on the studs of the 1x1 plates until the two parts connect. Incidentally, since the two hinge pieces start out at the same level without being connected, this would also help you avoid the problem you illustrated where the plates are not level with one another by default. Hopefully in a future update TLG will fix this problem just as they did with 48336 and 60470, but in the meantime, this trick should solve some of your problems.

For more complex situations (for instance, if you want one hinge piece upside-down relative to the other) then you can use similar scaffolding to that in my Clip-And-Bar Hinge Template, although I really ought to update that sometime soon with hinge combinations like the one you were having trouble with. When I originally made this template, 63868 was not available on LDD, and TLG hadn't yet solved the problems with 48336 and 60470 (which now no longer need a scaffold).

I do not yet have a foolproof way of aligning more complex hinge pieces... for instance, the sprocket wheel template immediately below my clip-and-bar hinge template is the best scaffold I've got for aligning Technic treads, and I haven't quite come up with a reliable system for aligning hinges on some of this year's Hero Factory parts (although in that case, I also haven't been in any situations where the centering of clips on those parts needs to be exact).

Edited by Aanchir

You can connect clip-and-bar hinges from a centered position...

Thank you very much 'Aanchir'! Your answer is very clear and useful to me.

I can't wait to try it.:classic:

Allright I dont know if anyone mentioned this, but I don´t have the time to read through all 28 pages right now, so I will just put my bug here:

It is possible to place a headlightbrick (4070) right up against another brick. This is NOT possible in reality as the headlights stud is protruding farther than the brick

lddscreenshot89.png

Allright I dont know if anyone mentioned this, but I don´t have the time to read through all 28 pages right now, so I will just put my bug here:

It is possible to place a headlightbrick (4070) right up against another brick. This is NOT possible in reality as the headlights stud is protruding farther than the brick

You could always use the search function and try "4070" :wink:

Anyway, the bug has been reported earlier. But it was well spotted of you. Not everyone sees it, or is aware it's not possible with physcial bricks.

Just recently came across this bug - don't know if it's LDD or my computer (it's been acting strange lately). But, it works fine unless I combine the two bricks in the image in the way they are connected on the left. Also that works fine, but whenever I try to select both pieces and mover or rotate them, LDD instantly crashes without any warnings ...

Problem.jpg

Hope it's not been discussed yet, I really didn't read the whole thread ... Just wonder if anyone has similar problems?

Just recently came across this bug - don't know if it's LDD or my computer (it's been acting strange lately). But, it works fine unless I combine the two bricks in the image in the way they are connected on the left. Also that works fine, but whenever I try to select both pieces and mover or rotate them, LDD instantly crashes without any warnings ...

Hope it's not been discussed yet, I really didn't read the whole thread ... Just wonder if anyone has similar problems?

The connection isn't totally "legal" in real life. For one thing, the Technic holes of the first brick and the side studs of the second brick aren't centered at the same point vertically, so if parts were connected across the top and bottom certain parts might be forced into compression. Additionally, it is illegal for a System part to be connected to Technic holes by more than one stud, because this makes the parts hard to separate.

The first reason might have something to do with LDD crashing if the tops and bottoms of the two bricks are level, since there's technically a slight collision involved. Seems a bit extreme for LDD to crash completely, though. The second reason it's illegal really shouldn't cause any problems like that since LDD's tolerance allows studs to fit in Technic holes without a collision, but perhaps in conjunction with the first reason it causes a larger problem.

Edited by Aanchir

Just tried it on my old work-computer and it crashes too - also in compatability mode. It also crasches with the corresponding 1x1 bricks.

It'd be interesting to know if anyone do this without a crash.

While trying make some SNOT with bricks that have studs on their sides I am getting a huge epic-fail-glitch.

I can't now repeat the exacct situation, but it looked like here:

598d22c298f6.jpg

LDD has considered the red brick as a unconnected to the whole construction, so when I've tried to bend it, at first it hasn't let do it.

But then, when I've tried again, the LDD has freezed for a minute, and then THE WHOLE MODEL I MADE has dissapeared without chance to restore it! Lolwut?!

While trying make some SNOT with bricks that have studs on their sides I am getting a huge epic-fail-glitch.

I can't now repeat the exacct situation, but it looked like here:

http://s44.radikal.ru/i103/1110/14/598d22c298f6.jpg

LDD has considered the red brick as a unconnected to the whole construction, so when I've tried to bend it, at first it hasn't let do it.

But then, when I've tried again, the LDD has freezed for a minute, and then THE WHOLE MODEL I MADE has dissapeared without chance to restore it! Lolwut?!

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your model. :cry_sad: However, I was able to successfully replicate and bend the structure in your post. Here's an LXF file of the structure.

-Toa Of Justice