simonjedi

If you were in charge.

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

It's 1998 and you are in charge of Lego themes, you get a memo about a new theme that the company have invested in, some stupid space movie called 'Star Wars' You've been asked to make a list of all the sets Lego will have to make for the first 2 years of the star was licence. (2 waves every year 5-7 themes per wave.)

What would you decide to include? Would you have the Falcon in the first wave? Endor bunker in 2000? No UCS?What minifigures would you include or remove from the official sets. As a reference here are the sets released in 1999 (13 sets) and 2000 (23 sets).

Here is a quick template you can use, as well as my example

Set Name: 7787 Red Squadron

Wave: Year 1 Wave 1

Minifigure list: Luke Skywalker (pilot) Biggs Darklighter (pilot) Wedge Antilies (Pilot) R2-D2 Wedge's Astromech Bigg's Astromech

Set description: 3 X-Wings with the relevant pilots, for the Death Star Trench Run from ANH. It's an easy way to bulk buy x-wings and can be combined with 7878 Darth Vader's Tie Advance and 7879 Tie Fighter to create the battle for Yavin. Luke's X-wing will also be available separately (Like the Podracer set's were)

Obviously here are a few things you have to be aware of:

• No Crazy Futurist Talk i.e No episode II/III/Clone Wars ect.
  • Be Realistic. Think as if you were in charge of the business and have to make a profit, nothing stupid like 40 battledroids for £7
  • Episode I was released and you MUST include some sets from The Phantom Menace

Thanks for reading and I hope this begins a huge discussion, my choices will be posted at a later date and i'm interested in hearing yours!

I'm in a hurry, so I'll just post my #1 choice and edit and elaborate later.

Wave 1:

Set Name: #### Vulture Droid

Wave: Year One Wave One

Minifigs: none

Description: Includes Vulture Droid that adapts to walking and flight positions. (it was the only thing I could think of that would be under $10 and still worthwhile. Yeah, I stole the idea from TLG)

Price: $5.99

Set Name: #### TIE Fighter

Minifigs: TIE Pilot

Description: Includes, uh, TIE Pilot and TIE Fighter!

Price: $14.99

Set Name: #### Naboo Starfighter

Minifigs: Anakin (boy), R2-D2, Naboo Pilot, Naboo Guard

Description: Includes ladder and a crate (you know, the crate that the guard got shot out behind because he was too dumb to take cover?)

Price: $29.99

Set Name: #### X-wing Starfighter

Minifigs: Luke Skywalker (Pilot), R2-D2, Rebel Mechanic

Description: Includes ladder and cargo speeder

Price: $39.99

Set Name: #### Echo Base

Minifigs: Luke Skywalker (Hoth), Han Solo (Hoth, Princess Leia (Hoth), C-3PO, R2-D2, Dak Ralter, two Rebel Troopers (Hoth), two Snowtroopers

Description: Includes Command Center, Trench, P-Tower, Anti-Infantry turret, Snowspeeder, and Tauntaun. (Get the Tauntaun out of the way instead of making fans wait ten years. :laugh:)

Price: $59.99

I'll get to wave 2 soon.

Edited by Brickdoctor

Hm. Good topic. Let's see....

Wave 1 1999

Smaller sets to test the theme's profitability.

TIE Fighter

$19.99

Includes opening canopy and TIE Pilot with blaster!

X-Wing Fighter

$29.99

Includes Luke Skywalker pilot and R2-D2! Open the bomb bay and drop the proton torpedoes to the destroy the Death Star!

Snowtrooper Attack

$9.99

Trouble for the Rebels! As a Hoth trooper mans the power turret, he is ambushed by 2 Snowtroopers with their E-Web blaster cannon! Can he defeat them?

Bespin Duel

$5.99

Darth Vader attacks Luke on a balcony on Cloud City! Will Luke learn the terrible truth before he falls? Features falling railing!

Ewok Catapult

$9.99

It's the Battle of Endor! An Ewok bravely mans the catapult with his trusty spear, but a scout trooper on his speederbike and a stormtrooper arrive to stop him! Can he destroy the speedbike with his catapult in time?

Special Edition Set!

Jabba's Throne Room

$39.99

Jabba the Hutt refuses to let his favorite decoration return to the Rebels, but Luke Skywalker is here to negotiate. Can he convince Jabba to let Han go, or will he fall into the Rancor pit? Includes palace 'back-drop' with hinge bricks, Jabba, slave Leia, Jabba's hooka pipe, Gamorrean, Boba Fett, Luke Skywalker, Han in carbonite, disguised Lando, and trapdoor.

Wave 2 1999

Moving into the playset area.

Duel in Mos Espa

$5.99

Qui-Gon and Anakin race to the Queen's ship, but Darth Maul is hot on their trail! Can Qui-Gon hold him off? Includes Qui-Gon with poncho, Anakin with pack, Darth Maul on Bloodfin, and a sith probe droid!

Yoda's Hut

$15.99

Luke Skywalker has come to Dagobah to learn from the mysterious Yoda! He and R2 go into the strange creature's hut. Can Luke levitate the rocks and become a Jedi? Includes Dagobah Luke, R2-D2, Yoda and his hut, and levitating rocks! (Round 2x2s with 1x1 trans clear cylinders and a 2x2 trans clear radar)

The Search for R2

$19.99

Drop the Moisture Vaporator on top of Luke's landspeeder! Make the Tusken ambush Luke with his gaffi stick and his Bantha! Features Tatooine Luke, R2, 3P0, Tusken, falling moisture vaporator, landspeeder, and Bantha.

Battle over Endor

$29.99

The Alliance must destroy the Death Star! As the Rebels unleash the new A-Wing, the Imperials counter with the deadly TIE Intercepters! Who will win the high speed dogfight? Includes A-Wing Pilot, TIE Pilot, A-Wing, and TIE Intercepter.

AAT

$59.99

The Trade Federation is taking Naboo! The deadly AAT tanks hover through the city! But Captain Panaka and the royal guards are out to stop them in their Gian speeder! Who will win? Includes Captain Panaka, security guard, Battle Droid Pilot, Battle Droid, AAT with opening hatch, and green Gian speeder.

Millenium Falcon

$99.99

Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie must escape the Death Star! Can they make it out in time? Includes Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, 3P0, and R2. Features escape pod, opening hatch, and dual turrets.

Edited by CallMePie

Got enough idea's there CallMePie? :tongue:

Not sure what this topic's really about, is it a 'what I would have made into sets if I was in charge topic?' or is it a 'in which order would I have put the sets that have been released over the last 11 years into topic?'. Im confused. :sceptic:

Seems a nice topic though...

CF

Isn't this just the same thing as future star wars sets with a new name.

No. Actually, it's the opposite. The topic is that you are the owner of LSW and you decide on which sets to create. But, you are in 1998, so no CW or AoTC or RoTS. In other words, create your own wave from 1998.

Isn't this just the same thing as future star wars sets with a new name.

Unless it's bizzaro world or that universe from Red Dwarf where time runs in reverse, no.

No. Actually, it's the opposite. The topic is that you are the owner of LSW and you decide on which sets to create. But, you are in 1998, so no CW or AoTC or RoTS. In other words, create your own wave from 1998.

Ahh, now I understand. :sweet:

Hmm, I'll have to give my list a good thought!

C-Fox

I highly doubt anyone in charge of Lego themes, one of the nerdiest jobs there is, would ever consider Star Wars to be some "stupid space movie".

I fail to see the point in this.

To me this looks like another topic like Most wanted character/vehicle/spaceship/bounty hunter and such.

I'm sceptic as to where is meant to lead any of us? :sceptic:

To me this looks like another topic like Most wanted character/vehicle/spaceship/bounty hunter and such.

I don't totally get this topic either but I will say what I think it is.

You are in charge of Lego and a new unheard of theme called Star Wars is coming out and it tests you to see what choices you would make first.

This is a real test for me i'm mainly a PT and CW fan. :laugh:

This site needs a thank you button.

It seems to me like it would lead to stimulating discussion. It actually seems like one of the more interesting topics I've seen in this sub-forum in a while.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

It seems to me like it would lead to stimulating discussion. It actually seems like one of the more interesting topics I've seen in this sub-forum in a while.

I disagree. The first wave was released 11 years ago. You can't change it. The theme was obviously successful and extremely popular. If Lego Star Wars had failed then this topic might have some relevance trying to figure out how they could have made it work, but what's the point of saying, I would have released the MF in 1999 instead of 2000 or I wouldn't have released the Podrace with the initial EPI releases? Why second guess something that was such a huge success?

Perhaps.

I would rather discuss what we expect to see in the future though.

But that topic is being spammed with wishlists instead of a regular discussion.

One could easily see the same thing happening here, wouldn't you agree?

I care not for parts count and stuff like that.

I care more about which sets we're getting and what direction LEGO Star Wars is taking in general.

But it's getting hard to follow the Future Star Wars sets-topic because of all the wanted lists :sceptic:

KimT, not everything has to be about the future and everything, I believe the OP wants us to discuss how we would have done it differently if we were in charge, some may call it pointless but other people find it fun thinking of ways of how they would have done things and can also be interesting reading what other people what have done.

Anyway, I'm not too sure what I would have released but I most certainly would only include one kind of big set and most of them small-medium in size to see how well it sells. Definitely an X-Wing, a Tie Fighter, a Naboo N-1 and a TF vulture droid as they are quite iconic.

I thought the future sets was a wish/wanted list.

I would do nothing different if I was in charge, I would however fire the retard who suggested exclusives, especially the Totally Rips U-off exclusives.

I wouldn't change a thing because they have done right, they are making a killing on the sets, LA is happy to let them sell the stuff, so why mess with something that works, It ain't broke so I am not going to fix it.

Besides, if I was to change history it would be to give me lotto numbers.

Edited by DarthSion

In the spirit of this thread, I will say that I would first and foremost release ONE set to see whether or not the line is profitable or at least to see how many hardcore Star Wars fans out there would buy a LEGO set for themselves and/or their children if it was Star Wars.

Now since it is essentially a pilot test there would have to be a few essentials it must possess to be effective:

It must be distinctive. I know there are some fans who would want a LEGO Ubrikkian-9000 landspeeder but how many people would recognize it as Star Wars?

It must be big not not too big. Money and effort blown on a product nobody buys is more or less wasted.

It must look cool. Even kids who have never heard of Star Wars might buy a LEGO product if it looks cool.

Now since this is 1998 and LEGO is still blocky we must take that into account and find something from Star Wars that could be blocky. Hmmm... TIE Fighter? No. Y-wing? No. Ubrikkian-9000? No.

AT-AT? Yes.

Now, is it distinctive? Yes.

Is it big? Yes. But it can't be too big so release it in a midi-size ($40 range, about same piece count as 7778?)

Does it look cool? Heck yeah!!!

So in summary, the first product of the new line would be a medium-sized All-Terrain Attack Transport.

Now for "Episode I"? A more difficult choice, since the makers decided they'd adopt a 1930s look (since it's set 30 years before Star Wars, which was in the 70s. :hmpf: )

Come on, there has to be something that looks like LEGO. MTT? Eww, no. AAT? Eww, no. Queen's starship? Too smooth and shiny. N-1? Too smooth and shiny.

The Radiant VII? Sure, why not. It's red (distinctive) and has the feel of the older films. (Plus it's the first thing you see of the Prequels, so it's also pretty iconic.)

Now 115 meters is a bit large for minifigure scale so again make it medium-sized.

Does it look cool? Yes.

So since we have to include "Episode I" the second set of the new line would be a medium-sized Consular-class cruiser.

So the first wave would consist of two sets, one from each of the trilogies. And thus there would an "Original Trilogy" wave in January followed by a "Prequels" wave every August.

Hmmm,

Year 1 wave 1

Set name: Tantive 4 corridors.

Set no.: 5586

Price:£49.99

Movie: Episode 4

Description: Oh no, darth vader and an army of stormtroopers are invading the rebel ship tantive 4! Fight back with your brave rebel's and then get Princess Leia to record a message for a brave rescuer, before the stormtroopers stun her! Includes: Accurate Tantive 4 corridor with escape pod corridor coming off, escape pod that acrually blasts away, blast opening door, 2 rebels, R2D2, Captain Antillies, 5 blasters, 1 revolver, Princess Leia, C3PO, darth vader, 2 stormtroopers and Imperial officer!

Set name:Rebel battlepack

Set no.:5585

Price:£8.99

Description:Protect Tantive 4! build an army of rebel's to defend the secret plan's!

Includes:4 rebels, 4 blasters, 1 medical bay (driod not included), and 1 armoury!

Set name:Imperial battlepack

Set no.:5587

Price:£8.99

Description:Attack Tantive 4! build an army of stormtroopers to attack the secret plan's!

Includes:2 storm troopers, 3 blasters, 1 revolver, 1 officer, 1 shuttle pilot, armoury, 1 hover vehicle to transport your troops!

Set name: Jawa droid shop

Set no.:5588

Price: £29.99

Description:Repair and sell those droids! Take them into the workshop and geve them a fix, then take them out to sell to some poor sap! This one's got a bad motivator!Includes: workshop with plenty of spares (5 droid arms, 2 astromech bodies, tool sprue and other junk)

3 jawas, 1 astromech 1 protocol droid, R2, C3, 2 Jawas, and 3 other droid's.

Set name: Uncle owen's home

Set no.: 5589

Price:£29.99

Description: There's lot's to be done on uncle Owen's moisture farm!Includes: Uncle owen's home on a 32 by 32 tan board, which features: kitchen with food, cooker, sink, pots and pans

and a dinner table, Lukes room with computers, bed, shelf (with micro imperial shuttle) and an oil bath.

tell me what you guys think, there's more on the way!