tellblom

Using standard roads with Modular Houses

Hi,

How to incorporate normal roads with the modular houses? As the bottomplate can't be attatched to the roadplate I and I do not whant to rebuild the houses on the roadplate.

I have thought of this idea (as described in the attached image (the coloration is just for visibility)) to tile the roadplate and then have a raised section for the modular house baseplate.

This would create a raised sidewalk but maybe its to raised?

How have you done?

/Martin

post-11520-128786048351.jpg

Well, im not a city builder, but heres what i did some weeks ago

lddscreenshot1.png

lddscreenshot2.png

Hope this helps a little bit.

Captain Becker

I raised the modular houses with one plate and added a red bicycle path to the street plates.

The street plates are not attached to the modular houses.

5005900120_4a529f02ea_m.jpg

It is inspired by the Lego Muntstraat of Jasper Joppe Geers.

4873198280_58e792e4cf_m.jpg

(For more images click on the images.)

The bycicle path was a great idea, it gets the same level over the sidewalk.

I will try this when putting the modular houses together.

Thanks for the buildingdirection

/Martin

I like to keep things modular so I use the sidewalks developed by PSLTC. They allow you to build any road layout and then just drop in buildings. If the buildings are built to Modular Houses Standard they will require a foamboard or baseplate underneath to meet the elevation of the sidewalks. Buildings built to the edge of the baseplate (as below) still fit in. This has made layouts for our local train show super easy.

3918500344_f1e0e9c89e_m.jpg

I also used this style in the Operation Bricklord displays at BrickCon the last two years. The picture below shows the basic sidewalk including the sewer openings. I prefer studded sidewalk to allow for placement of figs and accessories anywhere and because it looks more "LEGO-y" to me. Note this picture was taken during set-up so the sidewalks modules have not been joined together. I use lamp posts, garbage bins, trees, whatever to make the joints secure and add to the scene.

3987751663_226df06387_m.jpg

I think that while the sidewalk area becomes a bit large when using the MHS buildings I find that once you start populating the scene with figs and vehicles and bicycles and benches and food stands etc. the space is quickly filled.

I especially like the 7-wide sidewalks because I can use 6x plates for the sidewalk and use a different colour 1x plate for the curbs. In modern towns this allows for different colour markings for bus stops, no parking zones, etc which are common here in N. America.