Sign in to follow this  
alex54

Somebody already have the train 7898

I bet it's more "set test" that was the original intention of the text. The german sentences structures has done the mix...

This set is good, I never saw the little truck coming with it *sweet*

I bet it's more "set test" that was the original intention of the text. The german sentences structures has done the mix...

This set is good, I never saw the little truck coming with it *sweet*

in fact, the truck is the one element I really , really, really like about this train set! So Lego still has designers who are able to produce these small trucks and cars... Now we only have to tell them we want these as seperate town sets! Sure, it'll take us a few more years to get them that far, but at least it's something! X-D

Heiner is a 1000steine member and I just read there that he got the set from Jan Beyer to test and write a review about (the thread is in a registration-necessary board area thus I can't link it).

In his brickshelf gallery he shows his first pics. He has finished his review and given it to Jan to read before he "publishes" is. Since Jan's pretty busy it'll take a bit until more information is out :-)

Darn it, I just wanted to watch the pics and it says "folder not found" *wacko*

Did any of you copied those pics on your hardrive by any chance ??

*yoda*

one must be really dumb to use brickshelf as a host for exclusive image content... :-|

I don't have download the pics, because when I had saw thos pics, I didn't on my own PC!

New pictures online:

Gallery

He also posted a "review" about his test on 1000steine.com. It's a lot to translate so I just give a short summary:

* The set and what's in it is very nice (Truck etc.)

* Instructions sometimes not clear

* Remote works only in same room and best if pointed at the locomotive (reflection on a smooth wall works, too)

* Remote doesn't work in tunnel: if train can "roll through" it's ok, if tunnel is too long train stops

* Inclines: OK if incline's not too steep, otherwise not that spectacular. Rails seem too smooth for wheels. In a comparison with a BNSF with a "new old 9V motor" (i.e. the current one) no chance.

* Standard batteries (AA) last about 6 hours, but after 2 or 3 hours there's a notable decrease in speed. Tests with rechargeable batteries will follow.

* Train runs well on 9V tracks, better on inclines (although still no comparison to the current system).

* It is possible to put the current 9V motor under the train and run it with the remote. The connection to the batteries works with standard 9V cable. He tested it and the incline results were a bit better. It's not possible to run a current 9V motor "directly" with the new remote, though, it needs the IR-receiver.

That was about it in short.

Tks Hobbes once again for finding this train goodie ;-)

I really like this train (a lot more than the passenger train): it has loads of goodies that can be used elsewhere like the trolley car, the sport car, the blue truck...

Still not sure I will get this, oh well, I'll wait and see hehe ;-)

*yoda*

I really like this train (a lot more than the passenger train): it has loads of goodies that can be used elsewhere like the trolley car, the sport car, the blue truck...

That's true, the accessories are very nice. Heiner confirmed this, too. But 130 or so euros just for accessories? I dunno ;-)

Still not sure I will get this, oh well, I'll wait and see hehe ;-)

I'm not sure, either. Eventually I might end up buying it so I get the accessories and can modify the train and probably trade the plastic rails for 9V rails (yeah, right, I wish ;-))...

Tests with rechargable batteries will follow.

I predict even worse results.

Rechargables are typically 1.2V (AA are 1.5V), so it'll end up running with only 7.2V, and rechargables carry less mAH than nonrechargables, so not only will they produce an even weaker engine, but they'll last a shorter time too.

*sigh*

Lego, there's a reason why model trains use 12V metal tracks!!

I predict even worse results.

Rechargables are typically 1.2V (AA are 1.5V), so it'll end up running with only 7.2V, and rechargables carry less mAH than nonrechargables, so not only will they produce an even weaker engine, but they'll last a shorter time too.

That's not necessarily true anymore. Thanks to power hungry devices like digi cams "modern" AA rechargeables already come with capacities of around 2300 to 2500 mAh. I've even read about 2900 mAh rechargeables but haven't seen any yet. That goes for NiMH cells (there's also NiCd cells but they have about half the capacity and are becoming extinct). Compared to that the average capacity of the most common Zinc Carbon battery is about 1300 mAh, only Alkalines with around 2700 mAh are the "strongest" among the primary cells.

So, technically rechargeables might bring better results than your average Zinc Carbon cells, but the bad news is - Heiner used Alkalines...

Lego, there's a reason why model trains use 12V metal tracks!!

So true ;-)

I know that I will buy it! I have already prepared its upcoming in my town: I have bought new tracks and a new 9V motor to put on it. So, like you Hobbes, I will try to change the new system (motor and plastic tracks) vs 9V tracks. I somebody is already interested in...

News from Heiner:

It is possible to use the new motor on metal tracks and control it with the remote. It needs a little workaround, though.

The new motor cannot pick up power from the rails directly. Heiner tested it with a 9V motor (right) that picked up power from the rails as usual and connected it to the new motor (left):

7898-55.jpg

This way the new motor gets its power from the rails indirectly and not from batteries anymore. The new motor he controlled with the remote. And it worked.

But as you can see, this needs "electrical skills" - which rules me out ;-) - and the locomotive doesn't get much "stronger" (meaning, you still can't pull the 5 Santa Fe coaches). And, of course, you can control the new motor only when there's power on the rails.

His review is on 1000steine again, but in a members-only area, so I can't link to it, but he has pictures of his modification in his gallery.

Hope this is good news for some of the more skilled people here.

Looks fiddely, don't know if anyone "normal" would be able to do this.

Anyway, I just don't like this new system non-stop, but if LEGO keeps the adult line, or whatever it's called, going, we might see R.C. level crossings and stuff, with real working lights, just like 12V.