broomhandle

any 2011 lego train news?

Has anybody heard if the trains will keep going in '11? Any new sets? Do we need to stock up now on track before the junk flex track takes over?

2010 was a good Lego train year!

I don't know why broomhandle thinks it's junk; I've never used it - I don't know if it's junk or not, but it looks terrible, IMO.

It can be useful, but using only flex track is horrible. there is no way to lock it into a position other than straight. it is great for having to bridge short gaps though

The Train theme seems like kind of an oddball amongst Lego's product offerings. It doesn't follow their typical release pattern. Instead of releasing new sets for the theme every year, they've gotten into this unusual pattern of doing a big multi-set release one year ... followed by 2 or 3 years of nothing ... then another big release.

Given that scenario, I wouldn't expect to see much, if anything, of new Trains this year.

Has anybody heard if the trains will keep going in '11? Any new sets? Do we need to stock up now on track before the junk flex track takes over?

2010 was a good Lego train year!

I agree. When that track is on my table, it moves around every time my train comes around. :classic:

I agree. When that track is on my table, it moves around every time my train comes around. :classic:

Agreed. It moves around when the train goes by "as a section", it bumps when it goes over it as a "straight" piece. Not smooth at all. And for a kid, it takes away any problem solving. My son and I use it as a piece in between. It works good for that.

I just want standard track, and not some problem solver.

So we have to wait for 2012 for Lego trains? I will bet the "RC" Track is over!

What dou you mean with that? I think that plastic tracks are here to stay. What could they improve here?

The Train theme seems like kind of an oddball amongst Lego's product offerings. It doesn't follow their typical release pattern. Instead of releasing new sets for the theme every year, they've gotten into this unusual pattern of doing a big multi-set release one year ... followed by 2 or 3 years of nothing ... then another big release.

Given that scenario, I wouldn't expect to see much, if anything, of new Trains this year.

It depends on how you think of the Trains theme. If you think of it as its own theme as you do it makes no sense. If on the other hand you think of it as a subtheme of the city theme, just like fire, police harbour, it follows exactly the same pattern. It gets refreshed every 3-4 years. The only difference is the trains are more expensive sets and probably have fewer sales because of that. The retailers are less likely to want to be stuck with them once they start selling slower, so trains are less likely to be restocked after they are 'new'.

I also don't expect any new trains next year, or in fact till ~ 2013.

Peter

The only difference is the trains are more expensive sets and probably have fewer sales because of that. The retailers are less likely to want to be stuck with them once they start selling slower, so trains are less likely to be restocked after they are 'new'.

And what happens then? Last year retailers sold out completely of LEGO train sets... and then we NOTHING until this past summer. I actually had to explain to the mom across the street why I had so many LEGO trains, and yet she couldn't go buy a set for her son.

I think TLG is still "feeling out" the train community... I don't understand why it's so difficult, they keep either making way too much or way too little.

And what happens then? Last year retailers sold out completely of LEGO train sets... and then we NOTHING until this past summer. I actually had to explain to the mom across the street why I had so many LEGO trains, and yet she couldn't go buy a set for her son.

I think TLG is still "feeling out" the train community... I don't understand why it's so difficult, they keep either making way too much or way too little.

I see this problem many times here on Eurobricks. But here in the Netherlands (and possibly some other countries in Europe) don't have this problem. I think that is because in Europe we stille make much use of intercity and regional passenger trains. And because we see them more they will sell better. I heard that in the US there are not so many modern trains so they will sell less. Also the fact that Lego based their design from European trains makes it more logical that they will sell beter on this side of the ocean

to keep costs down they could sell unpowered sets, and even sets without track. it would be nice to just buy what you wanted without having to double up on curved track you have no use for once you are into you third or fourth set. all you want is switches/points and straights.

it would be nice to just buy what you wanted without having to double up on curved track you have no use for once you are into you third or fourth set. all you want is switches/points and straights.

That's what I thought until I used 38 pieces of curved track to create two reverse loops (19 each)

(>---------<)

Agreed. It moves around when the train goes by "as a section", it bumps when it goes over it as a "straight" piece. Not smooth at all. And for a kid, it takes away any problem solving. My son and I use it as a piece in between. It works good for that.

I just want standard track, and not some problem solver.

So we have to wait for 2012 for Lego trains? I will bet the "RC" Track is over!

I have succeeded in ballasting, canting and sloping flexi-track, but it takes a lot of work. It also needs more support than standard track if you have a hill. I boxed in the ballasted track by using 1x1 headlight bricks and cheeses to follow the curve - it took quite a while to build for a 72M radius curve! The need to fix it down actually makes it more realistic like a real railway :laugh: unlike the check rails, which are only realistic for tram tracks in a street. :sceptic:

I'm over the aesthetics but I have more problem with the function of the tracks. They're noisy and bumpy, especially with larger-wheeled trains such as Emerald Night. They do have less drag than standard curves, when used in a wide radius instead of a curve-straight-curve corner.

Flexi-track was always going to be a compromise, trying to satisfy kids' need to make a circuit with adults' need for wider radius curves. Unfortunately a redesign of the parts is most unlikely, despite the face that the prototype parts were better in all but one respect (no check rails and less bumpy but they didn't have the useful rod-size hole in the hinge).

The demise of standard curves in favour of 32 flexi-track pieces in 7499 is a risk for TLG. Do we want flexi-track any more or less than standard curves? Maybe if we got Indy mine track straights... but I've heard nothing.

Mark

That's what I thought until I used 38 pieces of curved track to create two reverse loops (19 each)

(>---------<)

true enough, but my trains from back then are 9 volts so in the abscence of insulated joints and auto reversers reverse loops are not an option. one of the benefits of the battery powered range. i will have to be careful about what runs where when i mix the sets together. one thing that put me off the trains back then was that on the points the power bogie nearly always wanted to climb the frog as if the bogie was out of gauge, OR the check rail moulding was too thin. i never persued a cure back then. did anyone else have this issue?? and if so what was the fix??

Edited by locoworks

Yep, thats what happens. But the trains remain available from S@H for the full 4 years, and maybe from Lego stores. At least in the US you have Lego stores, and a local shipping centre for S@H. Australia doesn't have a Lego store and our S@H gets shipped from Europe with associated high costs.

I wouldn't agree with this, they've been doing the trains since the late 60's, they've pretty much settled into a pattern of two train sets and a few extra sets each four years or so, which aside from some experiments like the EN and Santa Fe has been pretty stable since the grey 12V era. The only difference is that they have had fewer and fewer single cars over that time, though they have tried a bunch of variations on the theme. For example 2126 - a 'set' of train cars, The Santa Fe coaches which were three sets in one, My Own Train cars which broke the set up into individual cars, and things like the metroliner club car which were add ons to a set. It looks to me they have been trying to find a way to make them work profitably and failing.

It appears to me that though there are some huge train fans, the total number of people that buy train sets is dangerously small compared to the number that buy a police station for example. When TLG looks at building a new line of trains each year part of the planning process is sure to be asking the question 'Would we be better off making something else?'. My guess is the current frequency of every four years is as good a balance between fan demand and profitability as they've come up with.

On a brighter note the EN seems to be another experiment aimed at fans, so they haven't given up on us yet. I hope we see a replacement exclusive train in the next couple of years which would confirm that EN has been a success.

I have succeeded in ballasting, canting and sloping flexi-track, but it takes a lot of work. It also needs more support than standard track if you have a hill. I boxed in the ballasted track by using 1x1 headlight bricks and cheeses to follow the curve - it took quite a while to build for a 72M radius curve! The need to fix it down actually makes it more realistic like a real railway :laugh: unlike the check rails, which are only realistic for tram tracks in a street. :sceptic:

I'm over the aesthetics but I have more problem with the function of the tracks. They're noisy and bumpy, especially with larger-wheeled trains such as Emerald Night. They do have less drag than standard curves, when used in a wide radius instead of a curve-straight-curve corner.

Flexi-track was always going to be a compromise, trying to satisfy kids' need to make a circuit with adults' need for wider radius curves. Unfortunately a redesign of the parts is most unlikely, despite the face that the prototype parts were better in all but one respect (no check rails and less bumpy but they didn't have the useful rod-size hole in the hinge).

The demise of standard curves in favour of 32 flexi-track pieces in 7499 is a risk for TLG. Do we want flexi-track any more or less than standard curves? Maybe if we got Indy mine track straights... but I've heard nothing.

Mark

agreed. the flex track does what it is designed to do. its great track, and works! but, i personally dont like it. I do use it. and it helps for sections, like you said, reverse loops etc... but i wish LEGO would come out with smaller track packs... 8 straights, 8 curves... simple and basic.

and yes, the trains are very expensive. but i feel LEGO dose it on purpose. they could come out with just an engine if they wanted.

Its just Trains (as a city extension) can not complete with the star wars line and what else is popular before city and trains... so, i cant see trains until '13 as well

Edited by broomhandle

I, for one, think the "community" would be better served with larger radius tracks instead of "copping out" with "just use flex track."

Yes, I understand LEGO trains are a large gauge, and as such already take up a lot of room to make a basic loop, but I'm not suggesting discontinuing the smaller radius tracks, either.

I, for one, think the "community" would be better served with larger radius tracks instead of "copping out" with "just use flex track."

Yes, I understand LEGO trains are a large gauge, and as such already take up a lot of room to make a basic loop, but I'm not suggesting discontinuing the smaller radius tracks, either.

perhaps a larger radius would help, but if you are building a 'permanent' track on a dedicated baseboard you will be able to make use of the small CSK hole in each flexi section. i am guessing this is to allow the user to screw the tracks into place to hold the curves rigid??? for the less permanent layout on a solid surface ( not on the carpet ) i would expect 'blu-tak' under each section to hold things firmly enough??

Mark

I think flex track needs to have click joints; so when you set it to a curve, it stays at that curve.

As much as i Hate to say this as a 9V fanatic, the plastic track is as good as we'll get, I'm not very happy about the flex track, I for one think that it is noisy when my emerald night goes over them, I think the flex track is only good for short spots that need filling.

agreed. the flex track does what it is designed to do. its great track, and works! but, i personally dont like it. I do use it. and it helps for sections, like you said, reverse loops etc... but i wish LEGO would come out with smaller track packs... 8 straights, 8 curves... simple and basic.

and yes, the trains are very expensive. but i feel LEGO dose it on purpose. they could come out with just an engine if they wanted.

Its just Trains (as a city extension) can not complete with the star wars line and what else is popular before city and trains... so, i cant see trains until '13 as well

I think flex track is good if you need a track to go through your city and make som sharp turns.