4736 Freeing Dobby  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Like confronting Mr. Malfoy
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Like being freed with a stinky sock!

I'm on a kick of flooding Licensed with Harry Potter reviews. And why not! Don't worry, soon enough I'll have run clean out of new HP sets to review, but for now let me turn my attention to…

5090512677_81bdccd673_b.jpg

Set Title: Freeing Dobby

Set #: 4736

Theme: Harry Potter

Film Connections: Chamber of Secrets, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix

Pieces: 73

Minifigures: 3

Year of Release: 2010

Price at Release: USD 11, GBP 10, CAD 15, EUR 14

Buy it? Inventory? LEGO.com Bricklink

INTRODUCTION

Freeing Dobby seemed like an odd choice for this new line of Harry Potter sets, since it is very movie specific, while the other sets aren't, for the most part. Still, I had no reservations about buying it whatsoever, since it seemed like a good set for figures. I'll easily drop $11 for a new Lucius and Dobby. Hey, I paid more than that for a single Luna on Bricklink! But I realize that not everybody is the same way, and some people actually care about what comes in a set besides for the figures.

So, with any luck, I'll show you what you're really getting if you purchase Freeing Dobby…

BOX

There's nothing like shiny cardboard! The front sports a fairly comedic picture, with Dobby blasting Mr. Malfoy into the air. The corridor in the background is some beautiful artwork, but of course it doesn't really fit with the odd archway thing that constitutes the non-figure part of the set.

5090441501_e64f5a8bdf_b.jpg

This is the only new HP set to feature punch-tabs, which I did not punch. The back reveals Lucius' Death Eater mask, as well as illustrating the play feature. Some nice art, as usual.

5090442117_c2a5e925cd_b.jpg

Harry surveys his Hogwarts approved actual size portrait with scorn. "Why would I look that happy," he mutters to himself.

5090442543_0250a91617_o.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

For some reason, LEGO always bothers to fold its booklets neatly in half for small sets. The front shows off more of the corridor painting.

5091040318_ec3856c394_b.jpg

The steps progress pretty slowly, but it's still fast to build because the set is so small to start with. The trio picture that I always like to point out is much less intimidating at the small size.

5091040668_50527b80d8_b.jpg

The parts list doesn't take up very much room, being so short.

5090443567_a14a1bb647_b.jpg

MINIFIGURES

In the film, this scene featured Lucius Malfoy, Harry Potter, and Dobby, so LEGO gives us… Lucius Malfoy, Harry Potter, and Dobby. Nobody got left out, for once. The figures will get their own sections, except for Harry. I exhausted everything I had to say about him in my Hagrid's Hut review.

5091033544_4d798bb1f4_b.jpg

Dobby's dirty sack continues on his back, as does Harry's sweater. No back for Mr. Malfoy, but he's got a cape and some luscious blonde hair anyway. Luscious, get it? Hahahaha… *ahem*

5090436431_243eeb8d74_b.jpg

Dobby

Though you might have thought that both the old and new Dobby head moulds were exactly the same, they are actually a tiny bit different. The old one has extremely disturbing holes in his eyes. I do actually quite like the old torso print, and I think it has a lot of applications, but I must admit that the new one matches the film much better. Dobby himself looks much more realistic in flesh, and his huge orb eyes are eerily exquisite. WARNING: do not touch the eyes, they may rub off easily!

5090437077_e8578c179b_b.jpg

Lucius

Mr. Malfoy is on his third generation, although he was released with two different outfits the first time around. I found it more applicable to show the outfit he came with in the original version of this set.

As you can see, the first two versions (from left) are very similar, and neither very accurate. I like the torso prints themselves, especially the shiny chrome vest on the original, but they don't really match Lucius in the films. The old face sort of matches Lucius' demeanor, but his eyebrows are a little too wonky for my taste. The new one is a drastic improvement. His eyebrows keep the same general expression as the older ones, but are much less severe. His mouth is much more detailed, and those cheek lines add more character to his face. I only wish the one I'd received didn't have its face printed so far down on the head.

5091034832_992f8f2681_b.jpg

Both flesh versions have Death Eater masks on the back of their heads. (Film Connection: Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix) The new one is a better replica of Malfoy's mask in the movies, but the older one looks a little more LEGO-y to me, and I like seeing the eyes through the slits. The problem with the older figure is that it used a dementor cape, which doesn't work for normal-sized figures.

5091035162_9f1b0e573d_b.jpg

The new mask looks a little small with Malfoy's hair attached, but under a hood it looks just fine. They're drastically different, but I like them both. It's a shame I don't have the OotP Death Eater to compare as well. (The figure on the left is my own design)

5091035480_bea9e6a3c6_b.jpg

ACCESSORIES

There are, of course, oversized wands for the wizards. Now, we all know that Lucius has a cane wand, but I never expected LEGO to make it. It's really ok, it probably would've been too big anyway.

5090438337_2ae6ee2f62_b.jpg

A Freeing Dobby scene would not be complete without Riddle's Diary. Harry gives it to Dobby. "But how can Dobby carry it, Harry Potter sir? It is almost as large as Dobby!"

5090440625_fa2398c4fe_b.jpg

"Master has given Dobby a huge printed sock tile!"

5090440939_f3bcc7abfb_b.jpg

SET

Ok, onto the what you actually build. It's a… archway thingy. There are actually some nice pieces worked into this, like two colors of arch, some sand green, a few bley "log" pieces. Still, the model isn't really anything you can compare to something in any film.

5091035938_52d2efb66f_o.jpg

Harry has hidden his golden Snitch on the side of the arch. Honestly, it's the same piece as is used in the Quidditch set. There's also quite a long technic bit with a red bit on the end, but I'll get to what that's all about later.

5091036638_de90116574_o.jpg

From the back you get a full face-full of red technic bit. Not much to see from this angle, except for the fact that LEGO at least worked some nice pieces into this.

5090439067_6b8496f968_o.jpg

The other side features a spider and another broomstick, which LEGO has decided must be included in every Harry Potter set, except the Hogwarts Express. Once you're done freeing Dobby, you can plop Harry onto his broom and start chasing that Snitch.

5091036154_a62a75de5a_o.jpg

PLAY FEATURE

That's in the singular, since there is only one. But hey, considering Hogwarts only has about three, that's not bad!

So how does it work? First, you put a figure (Malfoy) on the jumper plate.

5091036838_e10d1a9615_b.jpg

And then you push the red technic bit, and Malfoy gets zapped. No tampering has been done. He went that far.

5090440277_d97767800f_b.jpg

CONCLUSION

Well, I'm pleased with the figures. Each of them is quite good, and three is a nice number for $11. The arch might not be so interesting for display purposes, and it doesn't relate to anything in the films, but LEGO did a good job of packing it with some interesting parts. Perhaps there aren't so many parts for the price, but it's not like there are too few. I suppose in the old days this set would've been just a few bucks cheaper, but that's really the only flaw. Not a bad buy at all.

RATINGS

Minifigures: 10/10 - All of the right figures included, and they're all well designed. They even threw in a Death Eater mask for Malfoy. Nothing to complain about.

Pieces: 9/10 - The selection is actually more than I would expect from a set this size.

Design: 8/10 - Again, this thing actually looks designed, not just slapped together, although the back is a bit bare, and the gold bit doesn't make sense.

Playability: 8.5/10 - It has a play feature that actually works and is pretty fun a few times. I couldn't expect more.

Price: 7.5/10 - For the amount of pieces, this set really should've been about $9, but I understand that with two exclusive figures (disregarding Diagon Alley) $11 is what is to be expected given current trends.

Overall: 8.6/10 - For anybody craving the figures, just buy it. You won't do better on Bricklink. For anyone else, it's just a tad overpriced, but really not too bad. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Well, hopefully I haven't tired you out to much with all of these HP reviews. If there's anything else you'd like to see in relation to this set, just let me know and I'll try to pull it together. Different angles, more comparisons, etc. I will take everything into account and decide if it's feasible for me to do.

Enjoy!

Nice review once again. I got this set mostly for the great figs too, even though I care about the set itself as well and think that it is inferior to the first version. I'm not regretting it though since it's a good parts pack as you said. I think the arch is supposed to be the one at the end of the hallway in that scene which Malfoy ultimately exits through, but alas it looks nothing like it with the round arches, steps, and broom holder. Oh well, still more accurate to the movie scene than the first version I suppose.

Now,

! :grin:

Excellent review Clone-o-patra, I want to get it more than ever now :sweet:

Nice review!

"Dobby's dirty sack continues on his back"

That sentence had me in stitches though... but that's just my sick imagination :P

:cry_happy: Cool review :classic:

I like it, the set is okay But I really want Dobby, I could be userfull for my Brickfilms :cry_happy:

However, I think you made a mistake, The Quidditch set has punch holes too. well at least mine does, just thought I'd let you know :vader:

However, I think you made a mistake, The Quidditch set has punch holes too. well at least mine does, just thought I'd let you know :vader:

Mine does not; it has the tape. This is probably because I am in the U.S., while you are in Europe.

Great review. I really like the minifigure comparisons. :classic:

I think that this little set it nice to get some uniform torsos and Death Eater masks.

Great review, but I don't really like these small Licensed sets, save the PoP and Indy ones.

Great review, but I don't really like these small Licensed sets, save the PoP and Indy ones.

Then which ones don't you like, just the HP one? The only other one there's been is the Toy Story one, and I think it would be hard to dislike four green figures, but of course you may.

The only other current small Licensed sets are Star Wars ones, but those are in a different category.

I suppose you may be referring to the small Batman sets, which I thought had weak vehicles.

Great review. I really think the only value of this set is Dobby, and the other minifigs. Otherwise, the set is terrible.

Looking forward to picking this up later. :classic:

Great review. :thumbup:

I bought and opened this set. I wasn't very pleased with the built but I am surprised of how Malfoy flew from its standing position. Then again, I am not sure how you are able to integrate the structure into any part of your Hogwarts. Between the first and the current edition, I felt the earlier edition will be much better in that aspect.

However, the minifigures is the exact reason why I am so thrilled about. With all of the key characters present and a sinister looking Lucius and the creepy looking Dobby, made the whole set worth getting. I supposed Licensed sets are all about getting unique special minifigures and these 2 minifigures can only be found in this set.

Thanks for the review this is probably the only HP set im getting due to the fact of its price and mixture of books