Ondra

2011 LEGO Cars 2 Discussion

Sweet, thanks for that! Escape At Sea looks neat, and the Big Ben looks pretty good too, even though it has a very JackStone-ish <insert that tiresome argument> feel to it.

I think it will include a small aircraft carrier with those Cars expression on it, with another 2 Cars characters in it. Looks like a spy warfare to me.

:oh3: How did you know?!

Just wanted to share that in the Cars animation for the LEGO home page, you can see how Lightning McQueen is built. It's pretty complex, at least for a set that size-- I'm impressed! Tiny Turbos never did anything quite that devious SNOT-wise.

I already mentioned that a page ago. :sceptic: And some TTs actually did utilize SNOT.

Still, out of all of these I still find the Tokyo Pitstop most enticing because it contains the cutest cars and is relatively cheap.

Agreed, even though Flo's Cafe is pretty good too with all the characters that it contains. :thumbup:

I wonder why LEGO feels so bent on always have a 1:1 pic these days, here, they've used a wheel for each set.

Not all of them. Some have a flag or flick missile or magnifying glass. :laugh:

Hi Guys!

I didn't read trough the whole topic, so i beg your excuse if i am sharing info that is already there!

I found these pics, I guess they're from the first batch of sets from this series.

You can see the sets on the following address: shop.bohobby.com

The sets are being sold in Bulgaria. What amazes me is, that they're nowhere to be found in shop.lego.com, and some of them still lack photos in brickset.

That's a first! :D

Dunno if they're available anywhere else?

I meant to post the other day! I read the release date for these is May 15th or 16th. I need to find the source! Can anyone else confirm this??

Anyways, thanks for the link le60head.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but, 8426, Escape at Sea is pictured in your link le60head.

cars_2.jpg

Jamie

Edited by jamie75

I found these pics, I guess they're from the first batch of sets from this series.

You can see the sets on the following address: shop.bohobby.com

Interesting, been wanting to see the range. I like Flo's, but I've got to say the UltBuild Lightning McQueen is disappointing to me.

Just wanted to share that in the Cars animation for the LEGO home page, you can see how Lightning McQueen is built. It's pretty complex, at least for a set that size-- I'm impressed! Tiny Turbos never did anything quite that devious SNOT-wise.

Actually, you'd be surprised by what techniques they sometimes put into the TTs. They've gained an unfortunate <insert that tiresome argument> reputation and that's why everybody assumes they're just five parts.

I read the release date for these is May 15th or 16th. I need to find the source! Can anyone else confirm this??

It was on one of those LEGO store advertisement sheets. I've seen it posted around EB a bit, but I don't have the link myself. In any case, it said either May 16 or 18, it was a bit unclear.

Here's the link. The number is unfortunately too small to make out whether it's a 6 or an 8 after the 1.

Guys, I wasn't trying to bash the Tiny Turbos. I have several of them due to my long-time Brickmaster subscription, and they are generally pretty amazing and creative for their size. But I've never seen this sort of technique used on them (using side-mounted jumper plates to attach the central anti-studs on a larger plate or tile). To be fair, that's probably in part because the 2x4 tile didn't exist for most of the time the Tiny Turbos were being released. But overall, I find this technique pretty unique to the Cars sets.

Guys, I wasn't trying to bash the Tiny Turbos. I have several of them due to my long-time Brickmaster subscription, and they are generally pretty amazing and creative for their size. But I've never seen this sort of technique used on them (using side-mounted jumper plates to attach the central anti-studs on a larger plate or tile). To be fair, that's probably in part because the 2x4 tile didn't exist for most of the time the Tiny Turbos were being released. But overall, I find this technique pretty unique to the Cars sets.

It's not unique, tons of other TTs have used it. But, if your TTs come from Brickmaster, you're missing something - they're lower quality, and I'm not talking about the plastic, they're not as full of parts and the designs are worse. I'm not accusing ya of anything, I'm just saying, you should buy the good quality ones and see what it's all about. Also, the ones that come in the larger "playsets" are even better quality.

It's not unique, tons of other TTs have used it. But, if your TTs come from Brickmaster, you're missing something - they're lower quality, and I'm not talking about the plastic, they're not as full of parts and the designs are worse. I'm not accusing ya of anything, I'm just saying, you should buy the good quality ones and see what it's all about. Also, the ones that come in the larger "playsets" are even better quality.

Keep in mind I've also built a number of Tiny Turbos on LDD, so I'm not coming from a background of only knowing the Brickmaster ones. Interesting to hear that this same technique was used, though-- I guess I didn't notice it for the same reason it took me so long to figure out Lightning McQueen used the same technique!

Here's the link. The number is unfortunately too small to make out whether it's a 6 or an 8 after the 1.

This is a much bigger pic (and therefore clearer). It clearly says the 16th.

Hope this helps!

Some more HR images of some of the new Car's 2 sets!

All pictures link to HR versions 2000+ pxl

8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen

b_8200_box_side_800.jpg

b_8200_detail_1_800.jpg

8201: Classic Mater

b_8201_box_side_800.jpg

c_8201_detail_1_800.jpg

8486 Mack's Team Truck

b_8486_box_side_800.jpg

c_8486_detail_1_800.jpg

8487 Flo's V8 Cafe

b_8487_box_side_800.jpg

c_8487_detail_1_800.jpg

I will have some more soon!

Enjoy for now...... :classic: :classic: :classic:

Edited by grogall

Thank you 'grogall', you have done it again....fantastic pictures and oh, Flo's Cafe is mine....the three mains plus some supporting acts....AWESOME !

Oh, I hope Target staff was right about being aloud to put the sets out early ! :grin:

Fingers crossed ! :grin:

Keep on racing ! :wink:

oh and small pics of

8484 Ultimate Building Lightning McQueen

b_8484_box_side.jpg

c_8484_detail_1.jpg

Enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

8484 Ultimate Building Lightning McQueen....PASS :sceptic:

I don't like it at all, except for little Guido....hello scratch-building again ! :laugh:

Thanks again 'grogall' for the images.

Keep on burning rubber ! :wink:

8484 Ultimate Building Lightning McQueen....PASS :sceptic:

I don't like it at all, except for little Guido....hello scratch-building again ! :laugh:

Thanks again 'grogall' for the images.

Keep on burning rubber ! :wink:

Well, Guido can always be acquired from the pit stop set.

Anyway thanks for the pics grogall! Hope to see more soon. :classic:

By the way, are the sets printed or stickered? I can't seem to tell from the pics. They look printed to me, but I don't want to get my hopes high. :cry_sad:

Edited by Lockon Stratos

Thanks for sharing these hi-res pics grogall! :thumbup: It's nice to see these upcoming Cars sets more up-close.

By the way, are the sets printed or stickered? I can't seem to tell from the pics. They look printed to me, but I don't want to get my hopes high. :cry_sad:

The images look like they're printed, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high, as these might just be enhanced photos for purely presentation purposes only. And considering the lead character Lightning McQueen is nicknamed 'Stickers', well you'll know what to expect... :tongue:

If you look at the bonnet of Ultimate Build Lightning McQueen you can see the edges of a sticker on the large tile piece.

There is also what may be the edge of a sticker on the pump in the V8 Cafe set and on the "Flo's" and "Cafe" signs.

Also evidence of stickering on the large panels on the side of Mack

I suspect we will get a combination of stickers and printing. Printing on things like the cars and parts used in multiple sets (and things hard to sticker like the curved bumper parts) and stickers on things used only in one set like the gas pumps or the panels on Mack

Nice! I missed images of the Bentley set. but I've now seen the other two.

Both of them are very nice. I didn't expect myself to be slowly gravitating towards collecting most of the sets in this theme, like what happened with Toy Story. I haven't even seen the movies either. :tongue:

I'm thinking of getting the V8 Cafe and the Spy Jet... they've suddenly become very appealing indeed.

Thanks for sharing these hi-res pics grogall! :thumbup: It's nice to see these upcoming Cars sets more up-close.

The images look like they're printed, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high, as these might just be enhanced photos for purely presentation purposes only. And considering the lead character Lightning McQueen is nicknamed 'Stickers', well you'll know what to expect... :tongue:

Some of the more specialized parts are definitely printed... you can see this in the designer videos on the website (and you couldn't possibly have stickers on some of the parts' contours, anyway). Others are stickered-- in Grogall's high-res images of Flo's V8 Cafe you can tell this about some of the 2x4 tiles on the cafe itself, as well as in Ultimate Build Lightning McQueen as mentioned by jonwil.

Isnt there a Luigi and Guido set?

Yes, the Tokyo Pitstop. It's a $15 price range set; quite a steal for two of the cutest looking characters.

FBTB reports that some of the sets are available on Amazon.com, but they list as "currently unavailable" to me.

61Q8q26GkYL._AA1000_.jpg