Sign in to follow this  
ApophisV

Review: unnamed exclusive Pirates set (& no set number)

Hell, I fighted long and hard for this exclusive set (even if it was a kinda lingual fight!), so here is the review!

puzzle_01.jpg

This set comes in a poly pag which is NOT showing any set number or any other identification! This directly made me feel bad about the set even before opening it, and as you will see later on my first impression should be confirmed! *n*

Here is a picture of all contents:

puzzle_02.jpg

Packaging:

It also comes with a blue backboard, which is completely useless because of its instability!

-> 0 bananas out of 10 for this nonsense

Stickers:

Good news is: it does NOT come with stickers! ( *y* ) But now the bad news: You are supposed to DRAW the details yourself with pens on the model!!! Sorry TLC, but are we going back to stone age?

-> - 8 out of 10 herrings

Part count:

The part count is rather small, if you consider the backboard, the frame and the pens as parts there is an overall part count of 37 wich isn't too much IMO.

-> 1 out of 10 small cannon balls

Detailing:

puzzle_06.jpg

Since it is not colored at the beginning this set already has a massive lack of details! Furthermore some of the black lines at the top are missing which both makes it look unrealistic and also adds some difficulty to it while painting!

-> 0 out of 10 peglegs

Coloring:

puzzle_07.jpg

Ignoring the fact that it comes in black and white the coloring after building this set is completely wrong. The black seems to be a dark grey, while there is a blue pen included instead of a grey one to paint the hook and the saber. The orange beard is simply red. Also the brown is newbrown instead of the classic tone. (This last point won't influence the rating because it's a subjective point I personally dislike, just thought I should mention it!)

-> 0 out of 10 coal pieces

Swoosh Factor:

Before seperating the pieces from each other it IS possible to swoosh the set around, though there are lots of sets which got a better Swoosh Factor! After seperating it is completely impossible to swoosh the build set around!

-> 2 out of 10 eyepatches

OVERALL RATING:

Summarizing of the partially ratings:

-> 0 bananas out of 10

-> - 8 out of 10 herrings

-> 1 out of 10 small cannon balls

-> 0 out of 10 peglegs

-> 0 out of 10 coal pieces

-> 2 out of 10 eyepatches

==> This set is worth half a small cannon ball and an eyepatch, though the guy who sold it to you owes you 4 herrings!

Gallery after moderation

Hehe, excellent review! I think we finally found a pirate set Phes doesn't have :-P

Excellent job coloring by the way ;-)

Great Review there Apo ;-)

I know the long wait you had to suffer, but the polybag was really worth it apart the swoosh factor X-D

Its nice to have an exclusive pirate set !! Lets hope for new ones next year in Germany !!

Btw you forgot an imporetant part of the review: scaling !! That MF is really way out o scale compared to a regular MF X-D

The fun thing is that this pirate set was given in the Castle area of the park in the Rotisserie restaurant hehe Go figure *wacko*

Post On !!

*yoda*

Yep. Definitely don't have this "set" if you could call it that. I wouldn't consider this a set due to its lack of LEGO pieces. Calling this a set is like calling the pirate merchandise in that LEGO Land Windsor store a set.

Where did you acquire this piratical wonder from Mr Apo?

Awesome review Apo, can't wait for this set to hit the shelves in Belgium :-P . Another minor is that there is no printing on the polybag, talking about budget-cutting TLC... :-/ .

Nice review... but has lego ever given a set no. to an item without legp pieces?

God Bless,

Nathan

Well I sure did laugh...Small cannonballs, thats great. Just my kind of humor, I could have had this review for breakfast. Good job Apo! smiles to you *sweet* :-) :-$ :'-) :-D X-D

most impressive! Tell me, Apo, I can clearly see there's no instruction book included! How did you assemble this set? did you find the instructions on line? X-D

No set number eh? Maybe it's a Kabaya set, or whatever it's name is!

i think it's a fake though! Look at the pirate's only hand! Is that how a minifig holds his sword? I don't think so! looks like you've been cheated by Megablocks! X-D

Great rewiew - it really sums up want I felt to when I first bought it!

One thing though - I

I'm not sure that this is a fake as there is a lot of Pirate LEGO memorabilia ranging from stick-on-tattoos to pyjamas that is authentic, but I am wondering

a) How old is this puzzle?

b) Where it was obtained from?

c) Was there any more packaging aside from the plastic bag in the picture?

a) How old is this puzzle?

Probably less than a month?! There is NO indicaion of the product date on it!

Legoland restaurant Kids Meal gift.

c) Was there any more packaging aside from the plastic bag in the picture?

Nope.

Legoland restaurant Kids Meal gift.

Was this obtained from the Legoland restaurant within the past month? Or did you just obtain it within the past month?

If its a recent item there must be more of them somewhere!

That's interesting. I wouldn't consider it a Lego set though, anymore then I might consider a colouring book a set.

Even though you were frustrated about needing to colour it in yourself Apo, just think of what a great artist your becoming. :-P

Was this obtained from the Legoland restaurant within the past month? Or did you just obtain it within the past month?

I can't tell you anything except that I got it last weekend with my meal. They had lots of those polybags lying around there and if I remember correctly KhoRne had one lying next to his meal too...

We were! Aredhel, Master Yoda and some others were with us, last weekend at the Event! ;-)

Egad! Where was I? Ahhh... That's right... Hungover and groaning...

But what of Armada Yoda, Miss Aredhel and some others... Did the not recieve a polybag containing piractical goodies? Or do the polybags contain various different themed puzzles within?

Egad! Where was I? Ahhh... That's right... Hungover and groaning...

But what of Armada Yoda, Miss Aredhel and some others... Did the not recieve a polybag containing piractical goodies? Or do the polybags contain various different themed puzzles within?

Actually most of them had enough money left so they were able to afford a normal meal while my leftover money was just enough to buy a Kids Meal... :-$

Phes, don't tell me you actually want one of these!

I would say I'd pick one up for you, but that is not the usual restaurant we frequent when taking the kids to legoland (as season ticket holders only get 10%, not 25% off there). Not that I'm a cheapskate you understand.

Anyway I am debating taking 'jofsson' to windsor today, in the pouring rain, as sne has asked me to pick him up yet more train carrages

Jof

That's very kind of you Mr Jof, however I'm more curious rather than interested in owning one. I find it very interesting how many non LEGO Pirate LEGO products are actually in existence. In the past month I've seen this puzzle, pyjamas and tattoos which I never realised existed until now.

That's very kind of you Mr Jof, however I'm more curious rather than interested in owning one. I find it very interesting how many non LEGO Pirate LEGO products are actually in existence. In the past month I've seen this puzzle, pyjamas and tattoos which I never realised existed until now.

I am now in possession of a BNIB mint example.

So if you are an avid collector who must have an example of all pirate products, let me know.

I can also confirm that another set exists in this range, however it is a 'clickit' version, and hence not really lego. (Its a shame its not belville, as I would have sent it to jonfett).

I can also add to the review that in addition to the pieces not being compatible to other sets, similar sets cannot be combined to make larger creations or dare I say it MOCs

Jof

i dont understand why anyone would want this. this is not a pirate set its a silly childrens puzzle to get them to buy meals at the restaurant. maybe if they included a small pirate set with the meals it would be more worth while.

i dont understand why anyone would want this. this is not a pirate set its a silly childrens puzzle to get them to buy meals at the restaurant. maybe if they included a small pirate set with the meals it would be more worth while.

No, you are looking at it the wrong way round.

They alway have a toy with kids meals at legoland. Its is a cheapskate cop out replacement for some of the real lego toys they used to include. (OK at the end of last year it was minifig keyrings) but in the past we have had

Mini Ties - This was one of the best!

Lego Racers

4+ Pirates

Designer dinosaur

Paramedic

Strange catapult

Fireman

Johnny thunder keyrings.

So you can understand why there is a fair amount of sarcasm in the inital review & my comments on having one available for mr phes!

Don't get me started on the creeping sellout at legoland windsor with the introduction of non lego rides (jcb diggers) & the rise of

tn_7290-1_jpg.jpg

I've always wondered where this set was available. Mr Jof, you have educated in my area of expertise so therefore you are a genius!