Sign in to follow this  
Devastator

Battle of Hoth

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello everyone! I would like to introduce my new MOC - battle of Hoth diorama. I signed in to this site in 2007 but this creation is the first thing I'm posting here.

The inspiration came from marshal banana's phtostream on Flickr. I took his snowspeeder and 'P-Tower' models as a basis and created my own variants of those. The base is quite different: it is larger and made by using standard building techniques with some SNOT.

Let's go straight to the pictures. Here is the overall view.

bc9db2945f4b.jpg

As you can see, the diorama includes a trench with some rebel troopers trying to hold off the enemy, a tauntaun, an Imperial probe droid crashsite, some terrain details such as an elevation with 1.4 FD P-Tower laser cannon standing over it and a T-47 Snowspeeder flying over the battlefield.

Lets take a look at the model from different angles.

4c647a8e034c.jpg

A transparent stand mounted over rocky terrain provides support for the speeder. There are some very old yellowed parts: I had to use them due to to the insufficience of white parts.

f0357889b843.jpg

Top view. You can see a crashed Imperial probot in the left lower corner. In trench there are compact power generator, power converters ans feeding cables attached to the weaponry.

a11a2bd6eeb7.jpg

Here is the trench. Energy generator can be seen.

e446cc406f7a.jpg

E-WEB heavy repeating blaster.

3c556805eb56.jpg

1.4. FD P-Tower delivering firepower against Imperial targets.

df9baf2a294f.jpg

P-Tower separate views.

9e321cb7c36a.jpg

999c3b57ed34.jpg

Now let's take a closer look at the Snowspeeder. In the background there is 'Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels' (in Russian).

08dd75187c54.jpg

I borrowed the idea of using different-coloured plates to recreate heterogeneity of speeder's surface from marshal banana's version of it.

5b0bdae1c72e.jpg

c1221de31429.jpg

Rear view. SNOT radiator grill. There is no working tow cable mechanism in my model.

857a2f960e74.jpg

Underside view. There are movable 'air brakes' (things near the black grill).

bd301bf4e4be.jpg

Cockpit opens to reveal pilot and gunner.

debe007eb389.jpg

Cockpit view. Pilot's seat.

564f29604522.jpg

Gunner's station.

1ea79f90b4f5.jpg

'Exploded' views. Construction distinctive features.

45a411e1c022.jpg

4473f1678af2.jpg

And finally, some funny shots:

A careless skier has gone through time and space to appear in a quite unusual place.

466786024ad6.jpg

Yeti attacks!

651cfbe0992a.jpg

Hope you enjoyed watching this. Thank you for your attention :classic:

Wow this is fantastic especially the snow speeder :sweet: So much more accurate than TLGs try :classic:

EDIT: Do you have some instructions :cry_happy:

Edited by Darth Jar Jar

Very nice! Very nice indeed! I'm really impressed with the level of detail put into this, especially in the trench. I also love the realistic snow banks. Even though you've been here for such a long time, you haven't posted much, so welcome to the boards!

Wow, great dio! :thumbup:

The back of the Speeder is very good, and I don't mind the fades white bricks, it looks more realistic that way!

Any plans of more like this?

Excellent MOC with an AWESOME snow speeder 'Devastator' ! *oh2*

Such detail I don't think I have seen on a speeder like this - too COOL ! :grin:

As yoda might say, bricking......you must.....bricking.....you will ! :yoda:

Really great vignette. The snow looks really good, nice usage of cheese slopes.

The snowspeeder only adds to an already good looking scene.

Great work!

Pretty good Hoth diorama Devastator. I like the fact the you left some stone formations uncovered with snow, which makes this a bit different from other Hoth MOCs that I've seen. I see you have put in there all the necessary elements for a good Battle of Hoth scene, so nice job! :thumbup:

Very nice. I think the ground has too much grey, but that's all the criticism I can come up with. That Snowspeeder is a work of art! :thumbup:

Very nice extensive use of slope bricks to give a "rough" feel to the scenery. The body of the Atgar cannon looks a bit too compact compared to the real one but the dish section looks amazing. I just don't understand where you got the idea to put those cylindrical structures on the sides (attached by binoculars - what are those?)

As for the snowspeeder...

The first thing I noticed is that the slope in the front is a whopping 6 studs long. It should definitely be less than that; even on LEGO's rendition it was at most 4 studs out. I think the reason you felt the need to enlarge the front is because the rear portion is too small compared to the rest of the model; there should be a vast platform to the rear of the gunner's viewport. See the studio model below:

kg_expo_snowspeeder_orange-038.jpg

I think many of us here are aware by now that many of the diagrams in the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels are quite inaccurate (for example, the AT-ST, the Tantive IV, and the Imperial Star Destroyer). This is a perfect example of why movie screenshots and studio models prove most reliable.

However, I think what you've done with the interior of the snowspeeder is simply amazing. The amount of detail you've crammed into that small space is staggering. And the grilles in the rear are captured more or less perfectly.

I like that you've used both the new cap molds as well as the older pilot helmets for the Hoth troopers, looks very nice.

Whoah, thats a lot of pics! Sorry, I don't exactly uave the fastest Internet service. The base and P-tower look very good, but as fallenangel said, it's a little too long, and not to be hypercritical, but it's also a little blocky compared to, say, the Larry Lars model. Overall, though, it's mch better than anything TLG has ever done.

Excellent work, one thing that is unique to this MOC to other hoth MOCs that you only featured one side of the fight... unique, good work! :thumbup:

Hello!

It's a very good little diorama, providing the right feeling of the movie. I like the snow techniques you used with the wedges and slopes, it always works well. :classic: The floating snowspeeder is a major point of interest in the diorama. Not only the stand is good due to be transparent, but the speeder itself is also very accurate. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Nice star wars hoth moc! I really like the style of the snowspeeder and the detail on the inside looks like its right from the movie.

Good Job!

Amazing little Dio Devastator! :wub::thumbup:

Im really liking the Snowspeeder, much more accurate than the TLG ones, but I still like them. The Tower is beautiful! Spot on again!

The little extra's are nice funny additions. :laugh:

Great job!

CF

Yes I like the scene it's a great capture. The original design of the snowspeeder is from Larry Lars and not mine.

As others mentioned to improve the snowspeeder I would shorten the nose and pick an other windscreen - the angle should be the same.

Beside of that it's really well done!

Cheers! MB

wow thats so good! I like how its very small and concise will a lot of detail. I think this is better than big with little detail (or better big and detailed :tongue: ) anyhow, I like the detailed snowspeeder most of all.