Sign in to follow this  
filospinato

First Post - MOC Scale Droideka

gallery_101_23_281.gif

OK, first post here but have been lurking for a few months. I saw some of the older versions of the Droideka but none sat really well with me so I decided to try my hand at designing my own. This is my first iteration as of last night, hence the off color scheme. I was really looking for something that was the correct scale as the standard LEGO minifig.

Comments? Criticisms? Suggestions? All welcome.

Thanks,

Jake

th_PA100669.jpg

th_PA100671.jpg

First of all, welcome to Eurobricks, or EB as we like to call it!

Secondly, a friendly correction: it should be minifigure-scale Droideka; MOC stands for My Own Creation, so saying 'MOC-scale Droideka' is saying it's to the scale of a creation- which could be any scale. Something to remember in the future. :wink:

Thirdly, this is a great first MOC. It's got the right general shape and size, although it may be a tad bit too tall. The only thing I'm not sure about are the Technic bushings on the arms. Also, (don't worry, 'cause most everyone misses this detail) you left out the armored deflector shield projector plates that fold out to either side of the reactor ball. Other than that, it's a job well done. If you planto redo it, I might also suggest adding more armor, especially on the back plate.

This is a pretty good MOC for your first one, Jake. I like how you built your droideka using your own design and not just modifying the previous versions. It looks good as it is, but I'm pretty sure it'll look even better if you follow Doc's suggestions. Welcome to EB BTW. default_classic.gif

Not bad for your first MOC on EB 'filospinato'. :thumbup:

Yeah, it's only missing it's sheild generators like 'Brickdoctor' said.

Great work and keep on MOCing ! :sweet:

Not bad at all, filospinato!

It's a tad tall and the colours aren't great, but the overall shape is excellent.

Good work! :thumbup:

PS. Welcome to EB!

I like it, it has a very clever design, but it could also use some color changes. Even without the shield generators it looks nice, and welcome to Eurobricks!

Secondly, a friendly correction: it should be minifigure-scale Droideka; MOC stands for My Own Creation, so saying 'MOC-scale Droideka' is saying it's to the scale of a creation- which could be any scale. Something to remember in the future. :wink:

I think he meant: 'First Post- MOC: Scale Droideka'.

Anyway, nice creation filospinato! :thumbup:

The only couple of things I don't like are the colours. If you don't have the parts, it's fine, but I think the head bit (orange torso) should be dark grey. I reckon this would look better in greys than the truly accurate colour scheme.

I wouldn't mind trying to build this myself, so if it's okay, could you add some instructions? Thanks. :sweet:

Very nice, the coloring isn't perfect, but I daare say the design is. Its the prefect minifigs size, and looks great.

Welcome to the forum too!

I think he meant: 'First Post- MOC: Scale Droideka'.

Anyway, nice creation filospinato! :thumbup:

The only couple of things I don't like are the colours. If you don't have the parts, it's fine, but I think the head bit (orange torso) should be dark grey. I reckon this would look better in greys than the truly accurate colour scheme.

I wouldn't mind trying to build this myself, so if it's okay, could you add some instructions? Thanks. :sweet:

Sure thing, and thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions for improvement! I've been mocking up some possibilities for the shield generators and have made it squat a little lower to get it right about minifig height.

I'll post pics of the second iteration tonight or tomorrow with an updated color scheme and some build pics.

Jake

Welcome aboard to this wonderful site! :sweet:

I think you have done a really good job on the droideka You've got the size nicely down, and the color scheme is good. :thumbup:

On the whole nice job, looking forward to seeing more MOCs from you! :sweet:

BTW, introduce yourself Here.

CF

Welcome to Eurobricks. Great MOC! :thumbup:

I think the size is right as it's supposed to be bigger than a minifigure.

Me and hopeso009 (who I havent seen active in a while) have build MOCs of the droideka a while back, if you're interested in other (not TLC) versions.

Well done.

OK, today had some nice sun outside so I snapped a few more pictures of the v1.1 Droideka including a few in various stages of assembly. Still haven't worked much on the color scheme although I think the dark bley/black would work pretty well. I did add the shield generators and back armour plating, what do you think?

th_PA310012.jpg th_PA310022.jpg th_PA310025.jpg th_PA310024.jpg

Build pics

th_PA310026.jpg th_PA310027.jpg th_PA310029.jpg th_PA310030.jpg th_PA310031.jpg

th_PA310032.jpg

Edited by filospinato