Wowplayer

Space set for 2011

Right now there is a bit of speculation about whether or not we will get a new space theme next year to replace Space Police 3.

Lets pretend that its been confirmed that we will indeed be getting a new Space theme in 2011. (I'm not going to listen to you guys that say we aren't getting one, let me dream a little pls :laugh: ). So, what do you think it will be? What do you want it to be? Give me a theme. Tell me about it. Make up a set list to go along with this new theme.

Blacktron 2 or Ice Planet 2002 is probably my most favorite space theme to date. So I'd like to see a continuation of one of those.

As for sets the theme would have to include:

A space base approx $80-100 (I would love one even larger, but I'll be more realistic)

A large ship like Galactic enforcer or Deep Freeze Defender (my favorite space ship)

A mid-size ship like the Rebel Hunter (my favorite mid-sized ship)

and a few smaller sets.

What do you guys want?

Edited by Wowplayer

i think that that "space theme" will be a city subtheme, out in april.

pm me for detials

i think that that "space theme" will be a city subtheme, out in april.

pm me for detials

I'm aware of the new City Space Port sets coming out next year. THOSE DON'T COUNT...lol :tongue:

I guess I should have been more specific. I want to know what you guys want as far as Futuristic Deep Space Theme goes. I'm not a fan of town/city sets.

I'd be happy with any sci-fi space theme in 2011. So far it looks like we'll only get some space port type stuff. :thumbdown:

I'd be happy with any sci-fi space theme in 2011. So far it looks like we'll only get some space port type stuff. :thumbdown:

There's still the summer rotation. That's not taken into account by the leaked retailers catalog, just the winter and spring '11 sets

I would like to see a near future space theme.

Here's the things that can be practically guaranteed about a new Space theme:

• It will feature two factions in the same theme. Single-faction themes ended in the 90s, for good reason-- it doesn't make sense to force kids to collect more than one theme to enjoy the sets to their fullest, particularly if one of the themes was "last year" and lacks the same freshness as the current faction/theme.
    Since Space Police III seems to be ending, my original dreams can't truly be realized, but I still feel that the image I'll post on the bottom of my post may be the closest we could have possibly gotten to a Blacktron theme.
  • Besides impulse sets, all of the sets will also feature both factions. Kids like being able to simulate conflicts immediately after they get a set out of the box.
  • The factions will include a "good guy" faction and a "bad guy" faction. While it's the buyer's decision who they feel should "win" in the end, there will be one faction that's presented as good and upstanding, and another that's portrayed as roguish. Compare Atlantis (human explorers vs. fishy mutants), Power Miners (human miners vs. monsters), Agents (humans vs. cyborgs and other "themed" villains), and Space Police III (humans vs. alien "gangsters"). Even one of the World Racers factions was decidedly "rougher and gruffer", while the other had a greater sense of cleanness and refinement.
  • The conflict between the factions will probably be semi-violent. This is natural for human-vs.-human conflict in any context besides a civil sport or competition. It also makes for much more exciting play, since rather than just interacting verbally or mentally (i.e. competing to do the same task without crossing paths with one another), there will be physical interaction-- a perfect way to implement action features.
    This is probably one of the reasons hospitals have not been prevalent in LEGO city. Even fire stations, garbage trucks, and train stations can have a clear, physical task to accomplish. Hospitals, on the other hand, involve doing subtle physical tasks to fight a next-to-invisible enemy (disease or injury, which can't be easily depicted with LEGO parts). While an ambulance has at least the "race against time" variety of conflict, a hospital lacks that sort of movement quality.

Anyway, the image I promised, which basically sums up what sort of Space theme I was anticipating before it was suggested that Space Police III was ending. I never really expected this theme, but always thought it would be a great direction for Space Police III to take.

space_police_code_black_small.jpg

I missed both of the original Blacktron themes, but acquired the parts to many sets from yard sales and gained a great appreciation for their role as spies and villains through Internet exposure. I still feel they're one of the greatest antagonists in the Space theme, at least for combat with the Space Police. The space gang from SPIII comes close with its decidedly more urban, gritty presence as a real-world analogue, but with Blacktron, a huge piracy and spy network (either iteration), the stakes fel far higher.

Spyrius was more within my time, and I preferred its aesthetic to either iteration of Blacktron. The fact that the sets basically were one of two designs-- flying saucers and aliens-- made them feel a lot better out of the context of other Space themes (feeling like the ideal generic Sci-Fi villains). However, Blacktron was better set up for interaction with the Space Police, and if Space Police III were to continue it's pretty clear who their greatest foes ought to have been.

If there can be no Blacktron/Space Police....then Ice Planet, Spyrius, Unitron, Exploriens or even something original I'd be interested in.

What sets I'd like to see:

Large base.

Large ship.

Mid-size ship.

Ground vehicle or mecha/walker.

Smaller sets (fighters, robots, rovers, scooters etc).

While I'm still holding out hope for SP III to continue in some form by the summer ,(prays hard), if it doesn't, then I would love to have another brand new futuristic style theme take it's place. By reading some of the posts through the various threads, I'm seeing alot of folks asking for some type of civilian based group, and I'm totally good with that. After all, my cops need someone to protect besides themselves.

It is a given there will be no deep space theme (unless Star wars counts) for the first half of 2011. But I am hopeful about the second half.

My dream theme would be "Spyrius vs. Ice Planet 2" Bonus points if the Spyrius have mechs and the Ice planet sets use new trans orange instead of neon orange :)

Blacktron 2 or Ice Planet 2002 is probably my most favorite space theme to date. So I'd like to see a continuation of one of those.

Space for 2011 is City Space and Star Wars. That's what I think. :tongue:

I'm hoping we get Ice Planet in 2012, could even call it Ice Planet 2012, a sequel theme. :classic:

I'd like to see a sort of merging of Power miners and space. Asteroid ore mining *snappy theme title pending*. Basically you've got some deep space guys trying to find copper coloured ore (which is valuable for earth for some reason or other) in an asteroid field. they have a satellite crew base near a hyperspace jump point. crews and ore cargo journey from deep space to earth through hyperspace unless there's ore pirates around who are also from earth but are a ruthless mercenary band who steal the ore for sale to the highest bidder. the pirates have spikey cloaked vehicles that elude sensor detection. with no alien foes this is man pitted in battle against man far out where a miner must keep his wits about him to survive and pirates lie in wait in the deep shadows of the asteroid field..... or something along those lines.

Impulse:

Explosives team: 2 space suited minifigs, hover sled, dynamite in silver, printed screen with countdown display, reel of string fuse wire, detonator remotes.

Ore pirate: space suited Pirate minifig with space walk jetpack, gun, hovering ore transport crate.

Small sets:

Mining crew: space suited crew foreman and 2 miners with crew rover buggy, laser chisels, crowbars and metallic copper rock crytals.

Drill skiff: slimline hover vehicle with small articulated drill arm, sensor probe arm, computer and 2 space suited minifigs.

Deep core drill mole: tubular vehicle on tracks with drill head nose, cockpit and ore transport bay, shovels, metallic copper rock crystals, one minifig in overalls and one space suited.

Ore Pirate attack craft: 6 wheeled buggy/tank vehicle, laser cannons, stolen ore storage, metallic copper rock crytals, taser guns and two space suited pirates.

Medium sets:

Mining crew shuttle: transport shuttle ship, detachable opening cargo pod, gun turret, vertical/horizontal tilting engines, cockpit, detachable crew pod, 1 pilot and 3 crew minifigs. rock asteroid.

Asteroid mining base: Think along the lines of the arctic base sets with hut like structures and corridor tubes between huts. medical bay. explosives store. a huge vertical drill stack with control station. a small one man buggy and ore transport sleds. 1 medic and 3 crew minifigs. raised crater baseplate (revised for more rock texture and studded points on crater rim.)

Ore pirate clipper: spaceship bristling with weapons and sensor arrays, detachable 2 man cockpit, detachable hold for ore storage and wheeled craft. Pirate captain, two pirates, 1 double agent pirate/miner, Captains pet tarantula, Guns and tasers. rock asteroids.

Large sets:

Orbital space station: circular rotating space dock for ships with crew quarters, control room, ore cargo pod storage, armoury, gym, escape pods. rock asteroids.

Hyperspace jump ring: big round segmented hoop with techy greebling and trans purple perimeter lights. fibre optics and light brick, ore transport pod hyperspace shuttle with detachable pods and two man cockpit, metallic copper rock crystals, rock asteroids.

Edited by Brickenhead-town-dweller

Space for 2011 is City Space and Star Wars. That's what I think. :tongue:

I'm hoping we get Ice Planet in 2012, could even call it Ice Planet 2012, a sequel theme. :classic:

Or we could combine City Space and Star Wars to make our own Sci-Fi Space theme. :wink:

Although I still wish for something like Ice Planet or Spyrius. :wub:

I'd like to see SPIII continue, but if it doesn't, I'd like to see something a bit polar to it, where the police are the militant bad guys and the good guys are scruffy plucky smugglers and such. Oh wait, they have that... It's called Star Wars. Oh well.

I would like to see some kind of Space Pirates though. They don't have to be the good guys. As someone else said, the good guys could be some upstanding legitimate agency, like ore mining on asteroids, or ice miners for a system that has plenty of comets, but little potable water on the planet(s). Or you could turn it around and make the space pirates lovable good scoundrels who, in the spirit of Robin Hood, fight the ever trendy evil conglomerate corporation who gouges the little guy with monopolized high prices.

To get back to Space Police III, I think the idea of space gangsters is one of the coolest Lego ideas ever. I wish they'd thought of it when I was a kid. Two of my favorite sets are the Limo and the space chase one that has a muscle car looking spaceship. And the police vehicles they have chasing them are really fun too. On par with the inventiveness of the Atlantis sets, which I also like.

I'd like to see a sort of merging of Power miners and space. Asteroid ore mining *snappy theme title pending*. Basically you've got some deep space guys trying to find copper coloured ore (which is valuable for earth for some reason or other) in an asteroid field. they have a satellite crew base near a hyperspace jump point. crews and ore cargo journey from deep space to earth through hyperspace unless there's ore pirates around who are also from earth but are a ruthless mercenary band who steal the ore for sale to the highest bidder. the pirates have spikey cloaked vehicles that elude sensor detection. with no alien foes this is man pitted in battle against man far out where a miner must keep his wits about him to survive and pirates lie in wait in the deep shadows of the asteroid field..... or something along those lines.

Impulse:

Explosives team: 2 space suited minifigs, hover sled, dynamite in silver, printed screen with countdown display, reel of string fuse wire, detonator remotes.

Ore pirate: space suited Pirate minifig with space walk jetpack, gun, hovering ore transport crate.

Small sets:

Mining crew: space suited crew foreman and 2 miners with crew rover buggy, laser chisels, crowbars and metallic copper rock crytals.

Drill skiff: slimline hover vehicle with small articulated drill arm, sensor probe arm, computer and 2 space suited minifigs.

Deep core drill mole: tubular vehicle on tracks with drill head nose, cockpit and ore transport bay, shovels, metallic copper rock crystals, one minifig in overalls and one space suited.

Ore Pirate attack craft: 6 wheeled buggy/tank vehicle, laser cannons, stolen ore storage, metallic copper rock crytals, taser guns and two space suited pirates.

Medium sets:

Mining crew shuttle: transport shuttle ship, detachable opening cargo pod, gun turret, vertical/horizontal tilting engines, cockpit, detachable crew pod, 1 pilot and 3 crew minifigs. rock asteroid.

Asteroid mining base: Think along the lines of the arctic base sets with hut like structures and corridor tubes between huts. medical bay. explosives store. a huge vertical drill stack with control station. a small one man buggy and ore transport sleds. 1 medic and 3 crew minifigs. raised crater baseplate (revised for more rock texture and studded points on crater rim.)

Ore pirate clipper: spaceship bristling with weapons and sensor arrays, detachable 2 man cockpit, detachable hold for ore storage and wheeled craft. Pirate captain, two pirates, 1 double agent pirate/miner, Captains pet tarantula, Guns and tasers. rock asteroids.

Large sets:

Orbital space station: circular rotating space dock for ships with crew quarters, control room, ore cargo pod storage, armoury, gym, escape pods. rock asteroids.

Hyperspace jump ring: big round segmented hoop with techy greebling and trans purple perimeter lights. fibre optics and light brick, ore transport pod hyperspace shuttle with detachable pods and two man cockpit, metallic copper rock crystals, rock asteroids.

Excellent ideas, I would buy every single set.

Some SP3 army builders would be cool, I'd like to be able to buy one kit and get a few blacktron torsos/assorted weapons, maybe a new face print or two.

Kinda like brickheads idea only more like this....

After exploring far out foreign planets scientists have discovered a far off planet with a livable atmosphere (so the suits don't need to cover their entire bodies) and ore worth large amounts due to their ability to generate electric energy for long periods of time.

Good guys- Civilized people with nice suits and new equipment like lasers drills and a silver, lt gray, white color scheme and similar uniforms with a company logo on it, breathing apparatus and tools.

Bad guys-Crooked sub-pirates with huge black crude looking drills and cruel weapons. Their color scheme would be black and dk gray with hints of yellow caution tape and lime green canisters of fuel and . The figures would be cyrates (Cyborg pirates) instead of a hook they'd have a pickax/drill instead of eye patches they'd have cyber eyes but they still have pirate styled hats and the "drones" would have gasmasks covering their faces. Each figure would have a different outfit with black, brown, gray clothing.

Impulses

Ore pirate- A pirate (Fog) with dirty overalls, a toolbelt, rusty tools and stained clothes. A gasmask and black bandana and two airtanks on his back and legs with kneepad printing and a belt.He'd come with a drill with handlebars and a bazooka.

miner-A nice detailed torso with a control panel on his chest and a large company logo on his back with tubes to give the idea of a breathing apparatus, and a white construction helmet and leg print with tube like knees. He would come with a laser cannon on a stand.

Small sets($10)

hover speeder- A company miner with a small vehicle that mainly consists of a cockpit with one thruster on each side pointing down. And it also comes with a pirate with a bazooka (Probably Tremor)

The shredder- A small vehicle with several buzzsaws in the front an enclosed cockpit and treads. It would come with Buzz and a company miner with a CM spaceman gun.

Medium sets ($30)

Laser transport- A four wheeled vehicle with the shape of a semi truck only instead of a container is has a laser canon on the back with a seat for a fig and it turns 360 degrees and the wheels have minor suspension. It would also have a small pirate barricade with black barbed wire and a yellow sign with some type of skull on it. It would come with two company miners and one pirate (Gazer)

Miner mech- A spider like robot with a circle of lasers on a positionable robot arm coming of the bottom. It would have an inclosed cockpit and a rover that comes out the back. It would come with one pirate in a small arachnoid vehicle (Hack) and one miner.

Slime pump- A small mining pump with a trans green container and lots of hoses and tubes. The main function would be that the pump would be oil derrick shaped so when you spun a handle it would make the pump to rock back and forth causing the pump to go up and down giving the illusion that it's extracting slime from the alien planet. It would have a slime cannon and It would come with two pirates (Sludge and slash) and one company miner.

the extinguisher- A large bulky spikey black vehicle with huge tires and lots of chains there would be a large two pronged light gray greebly weapon on the top with caution tape on the inside of the prongs and a rollcage cockpit and two huge floodlights. There would be a crank on the back that would lower and raise the weapon and there would be a small crane on the back. It would come with two pirates (Gazer and Hack) and a miner.

Large/medium sets ($50-$70)

harbinger- A large drill (new molds) with tons of spikes and black barbed wire, hoses and tubes and armor. It would have medium sized lime green fuel containers on the sides and caution tape scattered around the model. It would come with three pirates (Sparks, Fog and fidget)and two company miners in a small laser drilling unit.

Miner base of operations- A large set with a garage for a small scout and a huge caged off rock with crystals on it and a large transparent drill borrowing into it. There would be a meeting room with chairs and a TV and there would be turret on top. There would be a pirate half-track with a machine gun on top and a cargo hold for stolen goods. It would come with two pirates (Fog and Slash) and three miners.

*I'll post villain character descriptions and large set ideas later.*

Edited by ComputerBug

I wanna see this:

#1 A futuristic version of Lego City corner

#2 A space port, possibly Moon City

#3 A police station of space, hospital of space, Fire station of space, Moon city hall default_sceptic.gif

#4 A new Moon City monorail system, upgraded for 2011

#5 A line of future buildings such as houses and buildings

#6 A school of the moon

#7 A line of cool veichles such as cars and buses, except upgraded for space.

#8 A Transport station of the moon.

#9 Outskirts like Moon Buggys and an observatory

#10 A Bank that is futuristic with robots everywhere and that has a statue by it.

#11 Mini sets that we can have, like extra stop lights and signs so we do not have to buy BIG sets for little segments

That about covers it. default_classic.gif

PLZ MAKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Space Police has been cancelled for 2011 default_cry4.gifdefault_sadnew.gifdefault_hmpfbad.gifpirate_thumbdown.gif

Boo! Space Mafia is one of the coolest things they've ever done.

Boo! Space Mafia is one of the coolest things they've ever done.

But the question arises: what more could they have done to make another wave of Space Police Sets feel fresh and original? They'd already brought in the ringleader of the space crooks, as well as a set of Space Police Central. While I'd have loved another wave where they face off against a re-imagined Blacktron spy network, your comment is perfect evidence of why that wouldn't be the best decision-- people are just as attached to the "bad guy" faction of Space Police III as they are to the "good guy" faction-- the actual police. Bringing in a new set of bad guys could stand to alienate (no pun intended) a significant portion of the fanbase.

LEGO has to keep their themes fresh. That's why they cycle through City subthemes rather than having perennial subthemes like Police and Fire released concurrently. That's also why LEGO rarely had a Space subtheme in the late 80s and early 90s last longer than one or two years (and why, on the few instances that a subtheme was repeated as with Space Police and Blacktron, the theme would be drastically reimagined). Sometimes it's just best to appreciate these things while they last and hope that the design brilliance of whichever theme you liked will be continued in other themes by the same designers.

Anyone seen this yet (posted up on Brickset)?

http://www.flickr.co...ton/5139679688/

Two very tasty looking Space minifigs in there!

Can anyone say new Space helmet in black and trans-yellow visor?

Blacktron Ho!

Cheers,

K

I know-- that fig is definitely on my must-get list. Pity that among other AFOLs he seems to be among the most-hated figs from Series 3 (from what I gather, LEGO's not allowed to use the peg-leg piece for anything other than a wooden peg-leg or something, and it's cheap of them to not come up with a brand-new specialized part for everything).