Lego Otaku

Is current Prince of Persia discontinued?

Today I notices at 2 different stores (Walmart and Meijer) the entire like of Lego Prince of Persia are on clearance sale 25% off. It almost looks like it's discontinued now. I got 3x sets 7573 for $59 each mostly for parts.

As others have said it isn't discontinued yet...

But man you got a good deal!

It isn't that a great deal I got doubles off everything at the disney store (UK) for 50 to 75% off :cry_happy:

Edited by Darth Jar Jar

I'm sure the line is close to being discontinued since there seems to be no reason to continue it, sadly. This was a case of the LEGO being better than the property it came from.

If this topic continues to be more about prices and locations of availability, I'll eventually move it to B/S/T/F.

There numbers were good on this line, but there's no future for it, I think...

As Shadows said, great sets from a movie that bombed. At least we got a great new color out of it! And it looks like that color will be in other lines. :sweet:

It's a shame that they are going to end it.. i personally love the Prince of Persia line and beleive they could take it further with new characters (king, both brothers) and sets. Hopefully it will come back with a potential sequel. Fingers crossed!

It's a shame that they are going to end it.. i personally love the Prince of Persia line and beleive they could take it further with new characters (king, both brothers) and sets. Hopefully it will come back with a potential sequel. Fingers crossed!

The movie was too terrible to possibly have a sequel. :wacko:

There numbers were good on this line, but there's no future for it, I think...

As Shadows said, great sets from a movie that bombed. At least we got a great new color out of it! And it looks like that color will be in other lines. :sweet:

It really is too bad, I rather liked the movie, I just saw it for the first time last weekend.

Yah, everyone should stop hating on the movie. Sadly, the sets will be discontinued, but we'll probably get POTC next year! :cry_happy:

I don't think they will make a new wave. I'm pretty sure that they made PoP on purpose so since they knew that it was gonna bomb (conspiracy? :tongue: ) just to replace it with PotC next year. I'm sure it's cheaper to license long term (i.e. two years) rather than just one year, considering the Nickelodeon license lasted longer than it should've.

Yah, everyone should stop hating on the movie. Sadly, the sets will be discontinued, but we'll probably get POTC next year! default_cry_happy.gif

We can only hope so!!!

Does anyone else find it odd that TLG is just now producing PotC? I realize the license wasn't obtained when the movies were out, so is there a new movie coming? I'm not complaining; I'm sure this will be a fun theme, but it seems like a somewhat odd choice to me. As for PoP, definitely some cool pieces. Is it the shortest-run licensed theme?

Does anyone else find it odd that TLG is just now producing PotC? I realize the license wasn't obtained when the movies were out, so is there a new movie coming? I'm not complaining; I'm sure this will be a fun theme, but it seems like a somewhat odd choice to me. As for PoP, definitely some cool pieces. Is it the shortest-run licensed theme?

1. Yes, the new PotC movie is called "On Stranger Tides" and will open summer 2011. It's like Lego did with Indiana Jones, a fourth movie came out and they made licensed sets.

2. I think the shortest-run licensed theme could have been Avatar (The Last Airbender) with just two sets in 2006.

Edited by Cerlin

1. Yes, the new PotC movie is called "On Stranger Tides" and will open summer 2011. It's like Lego did with Indiana Jones, a fourth movie came out and they made licensed sets.

2. I think the shortest-run licensed theme could have been Avatar (The Last Airbender) with just two sets in 2006.

Both very interesting pieces of information. Thanks, Cerlin!

And they did it for Toy Story 3.

A new Narnia film is also coming next year, so there is a chance that TLG will look at it and see if there is any potential for it in Lego. So you never know what new themes might be coming(well, excluding PotC).

Lord Embo

A new Narnia film is also coming next year, so there is a chance that TLG will look at it and see if there is any potential for it in Lego. So you never know what new themes might be coming(well, excluding PotC).

Lord Embo

Hmm, that is a prime childrens category for LEGO. I wonder if this would happen.

CS Lewis' Narnia books are thinly veiled christian doctrine. Aslan represents Jesus. Lego won't do anything overtly religious.

Too bad, I was hoping for another round... I really liked the movie and the sets. :sad:

CS Lewis' Narnia books are thinly veiled christian doctrine. Aslan represents Jesus. Lego won't do anything overtly religious.

Also, megabloks already owns the license for Narnia :sad:

Well before either the Prince of Persia movie or the LEGO sets based on it came out, I doubted the theme would be very long-lived. I'm a little sorry to have been right; while I don't think the movie is an enduring classic, I do think it's actually a not-too-bad bit of undemanding fun, and the sets based on it are wonderful. They have lots of long-desired new elements and gorgeous color palettes, interesting builds and action features, and as far as I can tell (I don't have them all yet, though I plan to), they even eschew stickers across the entire theme.

That said, though, if it's true the Indiana Jones line was discontinued or put on hiatus or whatever to make room in LEGO's lineup for Prince of Persia, I'd rather they'd never done PoP at all and had simply kept Indy going instead. Most or all of the new or rare elements (and colors) introduced or resurrected for PoP would also make sense in Indy sets, and it feels a little as though LEGO "chose poorly" with their licenses. They dropped one based on a established, long-running popular franchise (at least one installment of which is a genuine, bonafide great movie classic) and which had already proven quite successful as a LEGO theme, for a brand-new, hopeful movie franchise based on a videogame, which seldom bodes well (even if I personally enjoyed the movie). I'm still hopeful there'll be some sort of "ultimate" Indy set for the series' 30th anniversary next year, but I imagine we'd probably have gotten some sort of sign about it by now if it were going to happen, alas.

Ah, well. I'll still get all the Prince of Persia sets anyway (at least being short-lived means it's a pretty easy theme to collect!).

And they did it for Toy Story 3.

And for Star Wars, for that matter - they didn't make Star Wars sets when the original movies were first out in the '70s and '80s, but they launched the theme when the film series resumed in 1999, and they've been doing Star Wars sets ever since.

With pretty much all of LEGO's licensed themes based on properties with a specific, established narrative (as opposed to things like the early 2000s Disney sets, which were just general scenarios with the characters) that had been running for a long time prior to LEGO getting the license, LEGO launched the themes with sets based upon the already-existing stories and continued with sets based upon the latest releases. This is the pattern they've followed with Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Toy Story (and arguably Cars, though those Duplo sets are pretty generalized), so I'd expect the same for Pirates of the Caribbean.

I bought the three smaller sets back in April and was really pleased with the great parts, figures and overall look. Two weeks ago I got Race against Time and Battle of Alamut on clearance. Alamut is an amazing set. It would be really nice if the theme would go on but after watching the movie I don't think there is much potential for more sets.

Too bad, I was hoping for another round... I really liked the movie and the sets. :sad:

Also, megabloks already owns the license for Narnia :sad:

Does MB still have the license?

Tough to keep track these days, since they seem to jump from company to company in a fairly short period of time. POTC went from MB to LEGO, NASCAR went from MB to K'Nex, Thomas the Tank Engine went from LEGO to MB, 'Cars' went from MB to LEGO (Duplo)...

Anyway...Narnia would be cool LEGO, if for nothing more than parts, etc., just PoP was. I haven't seen the movie of PoP yet but, the sets are GREAT and I wouldn't mind a second wave of them.

Edited by Ogre