Admiral Croissant

20 gun frigate 'Vesta'

May I ask where do you look for the information for the ship?

Edited by hobbes5a

That is a wonderful ship. The colors, the details, the workmanship is all wonderful. I am just blown away.

Great Work. :pir-cry_happy:

Thank you :pir-classic:

May I ask where do you look for the information for the ship?

Mainly books but there are also quite a few useful websites.

This thread contains a lot of useful websites, and I used this book a lot.

Awesome. I just visited "Old Ironsides" in Boston, which has a great little museum. This work would be right at home there!

Thanks. USS Constitution was indeed a big source of inspiration, especially for the sails but also for the rough arrangements.

I'm here with a small but sad update on this frigate. On the other hand it's also quite nice though :pir-classic:

About a month ago I asked a nearby maritime museum if they'd like to put the Vesta on display.

They liked the idea very much, and put it on a glass plate above the stairs:

Vestasmashed2.png

Then, last wednesday, disaster struck. The plate broke and the ship fell down in hundreds of pieces.

Vestasmashed1-1.png

Quite sad, but I had a look at it, and rebuilding seemed like a reasonable option.

Then the newspapers heard about it and I made it to the frontpage of our local newspaper (read by about 90.000 people) :pir-classic:

VestaKrant.png

VestaKrant2.png

Then it also got a small article in the national newspaper:

VestaKrant3.png

And finally I made it to the local television (together with Captain Blackmoor):

vestakrant4.png

(here's a link to the episode, it's in Frisian though)

So that's quite a reasonable compensation :pirate: So perhaps if you've build a nice ship, don't hesitate to call a maritime museum as it can have rather nice consequences :pir-wink:

Congrats on getting your ship in a museum, a newspapaer, and on a TV show! :thumbup: You did get a very reasonable compensation. :pir-laugh:

The plate broke and the ship fell down in hundreds of pieces.

Now that's a real.......i don't have the right words for it :pir-sing: , i would have been devastated.

But hey the publicity is really fantastic and it's a good start to build a new ship, mayby more better than the vesta (if that's possible :pir-look: ).

Quite an adventure you guys had due to the unfortunate destruction of the Vesta.

I'm glad though that you plan to rebuild the ship!

That Frisian is hard to understand :pir_wacko:

The publicity is nice and all but still, I rather keep my Flying Dutchman intact :pir-grin:

Good luck rebuilding the Vesta.

Wow, that is heartbraking to see! :pir-oh3: Not sure that would be compensation for me, but it is cool non the less....

What does the headline of that first article say?

Edited by SuperSirLink

Oh no, bad museum, boo! :pir-sad:

Luckily I understand a bit of Frisian, so I could follow the episode quite nicely. I also heard a bit about it being on radio 538?

It's also good to see you still laughing. Especially you Henk, yeah I saw it! :pir-grin:

Like you said, luckily it is Lego and it can be rebuild.

Funny fact is that rebuilding also often leads to improvements. :pir-wink:

So all the best with that massive task!

Thanks for all the comments!

Oh no, bad museum, boo! :pir-sad:

Why is that? :pirate: Because they don't have enough large seagoing vessel models?

Luckily I understand a bit of Frisian, so I could follow the episode quite nicely. I also heard a bit about it being on radio 538?

Yes they also talked about it on Radio 538 a few times, but they didn't even inform me about that :pir_mad:

Like you said, luckily it is Lego and it can be rebuild.

Funny fact is that rebuilding also often leads to improvements. :pir-wink:

So all the best with that massive task!

Thanks! That's also why I can laugh about it.

I think/hope I can rebuild it quite fast and I've already ordered some bricks to improve it.

I'm going to make headrails with yellow hoses, and I've ordered white arms for a cannon-shooting effect.

That is devastating, although the publicity and fame is fantastic!

The Vesta was a big inspiration for my frigate Athena and now my brig the HMS Gladiator.

I look forward to the rebuilt edition as I'm sure it will be much greater!

=Legonardo=

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I stole- I mean, borrowed- so much stuff from Vesta! This is a day which shall live in infamy!

I shall have Thunderchild fire a salute to her and her gallant crew, and all ships of my fleet shall fly their colors at half mast until she is restored to her former glory.

This is just amezing! The amount of details and the sails makes this MOC perfect! pir_laugh2.gif

That is really too bad. I really was a big fan of your MOC and I would really like to see it rebuilt. Happy for you on all of the publicity. A Lego ship that good deserves it. :pir-classic:

Oh my, what misfortune! But then again what luck! This is really a situation where I'm not sure which is greater. All that pubilicity is incredible! But the whole ship into pieces... I wouldn't take that as easily as you do. My compliments on that! :thumbup:

I only hope the rigging wasn't damaged too much.

I'm going to make headrails with yellow hoses

Need any help with that? After all I'm the first and so far only one to apply that technique succesfully. :pir-grin:

Keep us updated on the repairing process please!

I haven't read of this until now...

No words about what happened.

Hope to see vesta again, in the same shape.. hoses as headrails are nice and realistic, but much less 'lego' and more 'aseptic' than your version.

So how is the Vesta doing these days?

Has the re-construction of this beauty been started?

Good that you came up with this question!

I thought I'd already posted some pictures, but now I find out I haven't.

The Vesta has been reconstructed and it's back in the museum for a few months now.

I've visited the ship once now (in mid-july) and I'm very pleased with the result.

My ship is currently on display on the main floor in the restaurant.

It has a showcase over it and there's a small story about the ship.

So here are some pictures!

vestasneek4.png

vestasneek1.png

vestasneek2.png

A high-res. picture can be found here.

Thanks for watching!

Great to see this ship together again! And why dont you reveal the story to rest of us? You got me itnrested already! :pir-tongue: (As i dont speak dutch)

Captain Becker