Sign in to follow this  
Buddha Bricks

PF without IR

I have not yet found the answer to this question, so here it is (quick question).

Using PF to motorize a train, if i don't want to use the IR remote, would it be possible to use only motor+battery with a on/off switch ?

Thanks!

The rechargable battery box has a built in speed regulator which you could use. just turn off the battery box, set it, then go.

otherwise, your train will go too fast.

I have not yet found the answer to this question, so here it is (quick question).

Using PF to motorize a train, if i don't want to use the IR remote, would it be possible to use only motor+battery with a on/off switch ?

Thanks!

You could use the rechargeable battery (LiPo, #8878) and set the power output dial (PWM) to whatever power setting is appropriate for your layout, lets say 3 or 4 (corresponding to the setting you would on the PF receiver. That thing costs $50 though; on the other hand it is - well - rechargeabledefault_sadnew.gif . Recharging works very well with any regulated 12V DC source for sure, so you would not need to buy the LEGO charger.

Regards,

Thorsten

The rechargable battery box has a built in speed regulator which you could use. just turn off the battery box, set it, then go.

otherwise, your train will go too fast.

... darn, you were three minutes in advance, sorry for the duplicate entry below!

I didn't know. Now that's a kewl feature :thumbup: TLG!

Now all this brings up more questions about the battery pack. The pack is a lipo 7.4v, the same type and voltage as i use for my RC cars. But obviously, the batteries i use for RCing don't have an integrated regulator...

This is an example of a LiPo for RC cars.

As you know the LEGO lipo batt is quite expensive, so how hard (or easy) would it be to rig these to fit with the LEGO plugs.

Also i use a IMAX B6-AC to change and balance lipo cells, has anyone ever hooked-up a LEGO lipo pack to a standard lipo charger ? I guess the balancer circuit needs to be plugged also.

If anyone knows how to achieve this please share your experiences. Thanks

Now all this brings up more questions about the battery pack. The pack is a lipo 7.4v, the same type and voltage as i use for my RC cars. But obviously, the batteries i use for RCing don't have an integrated regulator...

This is an example of a LiPo for RC cars.

As you know the LEGO lipo batt is quite expensive, so how hard (or easy) would it be to rig these to fit with the LEGO plugs.

Also i use a IMAX B6-AC to change and balance lipo cells, has anyone ever hooked-up a LEGO lipo pack to a standard lipo charger ? I guess the balancer circuit needs to be plugged also.

If anyone knows how to achieve this please share your experiences. Thanks

Wow that price for the 1000mAh LiPo is very attractive!

However, adding all the "extra electronics" required would be too much of a hassle: The LEGO LiPo has a nice case, the PWM controlled output, the fixed 7.4V source ouptput, the PF terminal, an on off push button, along with a rather wide input charging voltage range. But maybe others have more experience, maybe Mark could comment on this?

Regards,

Thorsten

There were also some rumors in this forum that the LEGO LiPo may become cheaper after Xmas.

There were also some rumors in this forum that the LEGO LiPo may become cheaper after Xmas.

Let hope so...

Another good option would be the battery box with nimh rechargeables yet it seems fairly larger and looks clumsy too. Am i right ?

Let hope so...

Another good option would be the battery box with nimh rechargeables yet it seems fairly larger and looks clumsy too. Am i right ?

Hope is always good ...

... and yes the AA PF box is an option but it is also more challenging to get in into a train. As fas as I am concerned (I run several of my 6 (ok, plus handrails) wide trains with RCX PBricks on board, so they have to go upright into the train. That means you have to "lower" them somehow otherwise the height of the train when you put them upright on train base plate completely violates the scale. (If you want an idea here is an instruction for such a train). With the AA PF battery box it appears to be fairly easy to accomplish such "lowering". I guess this this here may illustrate what I am talking about.

Best regards,

Thorsten