katch

blockade runner 10019 VS tantive 10198

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hi sorry dont know if this is the right place to ask.. but here goes:

should i spend 2-3 times more on the UCS rebel blockade runner 10019 instead of getting the newer tantive IV 10198/ i have most of the UCS set and am thinking of completing the collection..

i looked through the reviews in this forum and it seems the original is slightly more detailed with impressive engines.. and the description stand..

anyone care to enlighten me? :tongue:

10019 all the time.

It's absolutely gorgeous, and I had a blast building it. Also, it's better than the 10198 in every aspect: the latter looks like a set made for playing, whit loads of custom pieces. Every part of 10019 is made of a load of smaller parts, and the resulting effect is stunning.

I have uploaded some pics of my 10019, to show you what I mean:

P1010461.jpg

P1010460.jpg

P1010467.jpg

Trust me, the 10019 is worth the money you'll spend on it. Just wait for a bargain as I did, there's no need to waste some extra couple hundred dollars/euro now. On bricklink, you can find a MISB one for 500 dollars. Even less if you don't really care about the box's conditions. I saw one with a torn box, but still all pieces sealed in their polybags, for 300 euro.

Edited by kamigawa

Depends really :sweet:

If you're wanting a display model definately go for 10019

If you want a nice set to play with, go for 10198

If you need to save some cash, go with 10198 (or neither :tongue: )

If you're feeling rich, you should get 10019

If you're an insane lego nerd, you should get both :wink::laugh:

Here's a comparison:

compare.jpg

Hope that'll help :classic:

P.S. If you 'lose' your topic, A MOD/Admin may have moved it over to here :wink:

Edited by Legoman

Hi,

At the risk of being a shocking self-publicist, I addressed this question during a recent blog posting. You can read my thoughts at : Gimme Lego Blockade Runner discussion

In summary, I think 10019 UCS Blockade Runner is the clear winner for a number of reasons, although if your only interest is minifig collecting/playing with the set and/or money is a big issue then you might come to a different conclusion.

Cheers,

Dr. D.

PS. Thanks, Legoman - lovely comparison shot !

Edited by drdavewatford

thanks guys!

@dr d for ur blog

@legoman n kamigawa for ur pics

think i'll save up for the original.. its expensive now but it'll even b more expensive next year? will look out for a good deal on ebay maybe.. 'whoever said money can't buy happiness doesnt know where to shop' :yoda:

Ii agree with Legoman, the ucs, willalways be better in almost everyway except figs. Especially if you are collecting them.

If you're an insane lego nerd, you should get both :wink::laugh:

Complety true... :wacko:

The 10019 is my favorite.

Great comparison pictures Legoman :cry_happy::thumbup:

I envy your USC Blockade Runner, both are great but the USC is the winner on resembeling the original.

The UCS set is a real winner. It's one of the few early Star Wars sets that truly doesn't look out of place when you put it next to newer sets with sleeker pieces. It's well worth the money, you won't be disappointed!

Great comparison pictures Legoman :cry_happy::thumbup:

I envy your USC Blockade Runner, both are great but the USC is the winner on resembeling the original.

Well it is UCS, what do you expect? (Okay, don't bring up 10026... :tounge: )

I don't actully own 10019. It's a set I've wanted for a very long time, and never quite got my hands on. My eye is always out for that beauty, I just don't want to break the bank. Heck, I still need to be saving for 10212 and 10215!

BTW, where has this 'USC' term originated from? :wacko: As far as I know, It's supposed to Ultimate Collector's Series :wink:

As for which you should buy, I'll let you decide that for yourself. As for which is better, I think this is really a case where you have to look at the original studio model:

2306721039_4a7ff0b778.jpg?v=0

Compare with the 10019 UCS rendition:

lego-10019-rebel-blockade-runner-large.jpg

A nice comparison image with the newer 10198 exclusive:

p1070081.jpg

Both of them look a little too stocky compared to the actual model for me so I really don't like either of them. However, the newer version obviously has a slimmer feel to it which I think is more true to the elongated look of the original. Of course, this is due more to the main engines on the newer version than anything else -

There is a section between the main engines and what I believe to be a docking point (the cylindrical structure near the rear of the ship) which has been all but omitted in both renditions:

kg_tantive-iv_blockade_runner-050.jpg

10019-35.jpg

p1070105.jpg

Woah those pics are HUGE *huh*

If you'd care to resize them , That'd be quite nice of you :wink:

As for which you should buy, I'll let you decide that for yourself. As for which is better, I think this is really a case where you have to look at the original studio model.

Compare with the 10019 UCS rendition:

ultimate-collector-series.jpg

A nice comparison image with the newer 10198 exclusive:

p1070081.jpg

Both of them look a little too stocky compared to the actual model for me so I really don't like either of them. However, the newer version obviously has a slimmer feel to it which I think is more true to the elongated look of the original. Of course, this is due more to the main engines on the newer version than anything else -

There is a section between the main engines and what I believe to be a docking point (the cylindrical structure near the rear of the ship) which has been all but omitted in both renditions:

kg_tantive-iv_blockade_runner-050.jpg

10019-35.jpg

p1070105.jpg

It's interesting that the 10019 UCS rendition resembles a Micro Machine toy from the '90s:

It's the one on the right. Compare to the Hasbro die-cast rendition to its right, which is more accurate to the original.

I'm actually rather surprised by how popular the UCS version is. I honestly think the newer set is the better of the two, more accurate to the shape of the true Tantive. Also, it has some fun minifigs and features the UCS doesn't have, and it honestly looks fantastic on display. I say save some cash and go with the new one. Another huge plus for me is that the new one has no stickers (sorry - I'm an oldtimer and my sticker-hate is well known :hmpf_bad::wink: )

But either one is nice. Go with whichever you think will make your day :wub:.

@blackicep8ntball u could be right..

@fallenangel, looking at ur pics i realised the newer tantive does seem closer to the movie.. definitely not a slacker as i thought it was..

its not gonna feel so bad if i cant get an original one at a good price.. :tongue:

Woah those pics are HUGE *huh*

If you'd care to resize them , That'd be quite nice of you :wink:

Yeah, whats with all the huge pics :laugh:

Id go for the UCS all the way, but as Cam said, if you want to collect the figs then the 10198 set would be a better buy.

CF

They're not really my pictures (I got them off brickshelf and other photo-sharing sitse) so I can't resize them, sorry.

On second thought, some of the features on the newer version are exaggerated (for example, the turbolaser cannons and the viewport); when you add its squatness into the equation the set looks rather awkard. A modified version of the UCS (basically downsize the engines and stretch the whole ship) is your best bet so here are the instructions. Yeah, building most of the set from your own parts may take a lot of time but it sure beats paying $500 for a boxed set on bricklink. Keep in mind that you will make many of the same mistakes LEGO did if you use the schematics from the Essential Guide.

They're not really my pictures (I got them off brickshelf and other photo-sharing sitse) so I can't resize them, sorry.

On second thought, some of the features on the newer version are exaggerated (for example, the turbolaser cannons and the viewport); when you add its squatness into the equation the set looks rather awkard. A modified version of the UCS (basically downsize the engines and stretch the whole ship) is your best bet so here are the instructions. Yeah, building most of the set from your own parts may take a lot of time but it sure beats paying $500 for a boxed set on bricklink. Keep in mind that you will make many of the same mistakes LEGO did if you use the schematics from the Essential Guide.

wow thanks for the instructions.. true about the exaggerated cannons.. i suppose its more toy like for playability

i'm from singapore.. had wanted to start lego starwars 4 years back (but didnt).. only got into it 2 months ago.. was shocked that prices are 100% up for UCS sets.. but i must say no regrets at all.. i just love them so much.. good thing my wife loves them as well, n we r splitting the costs :tongue: