Sign in to follow this  
Fires-storm

Arctic Tern

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The Arctic Tern was a plane that popped into my head after seeing a new and wondrous plane built by the incredible JonHall18. I started off as a single-seat sea plane in white and dark red, but started retooling it rapidly until eventually it became a two seated tan and white wonder. In summary of my builders commentary, I freaking love this plane :grin:

Now on to the story.

The Arctic Tern was developed by the Sky Pirates shortly after the war with the Baron started. They needed a good quick maneuvering warbird that could not only keep up with the Baron's best aces, but also go deep into very cold territory to do battle, and what they came up with was the Arctic Tern. A two seater with one cockpit facing the rear for observation and emergency take over purposes, this aircraft is like nothing else in the Sky Pirate arsenal. She is capable of operation at temperatures of up to -50 below farenheit, and can take a turn like a dream. The two men who fly her are some of the best in the business, and are personally responsible for 50 air-to-air kills and countless ground ones on the Arctic front.

Stats:

Speed: 400 MPH

Climb: 390 MPH, due to losing very little speed with twin props and being exceptionally light.

Dive: 410 MPH, again due to being light she doesn't gain much going down.

Armament: Two heavy machine guns, 70 caliber, and one optional rear gun, as well as the possibility of being outfitted with dive bombs, torpedo racks, or normal bombs. She is shown in her scouting phase.

Crew: 2

Armor: Experimental/classified.

Now for pictures:

The front:

5054266017_3d26e459b6_z.jpg

The side, love that profile!:

5054266025_53ba3a16ac_z.jpg

The rear:

5054266027_27b229ac68_z.jpg

And finally a bird's eye view!:

5054266029_c99bb13db5_z.jpg

Forgive me for the white background, as it makes the pictures a bit tough to see, but I did it on purpose to demonstrate the practicality of its color scheme. You can see how in the Arctic this plane would be insanely hard to spot over land, if not utterly disappearing for anyone above.

I hope you enjoy her as much as I do! :laugh:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Very interesting design! I think this is the one I like the most among your airplane MOC series. Lovely smooth and sleek finish and the wing fins and double cockpits are very nice details. default_thumbup.gif We'll miss your airplane MOCs Fires-storm.

Excellent piece of designing 'Fires-Storm', a fusion of many different warbirds, but I can see original BSG Viper in this and a little X-wing too ! :thumbup:

Great work and I'm a conformist! 'Fires-Storm' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Very cool, I like the large dual prop design, it reminds me of some interesting helicopters I've seen lately.

If your leaving, don't stay away too long!

Very interesting design! I think this is the one I like the most among your airplane MOC series. Lovely smooth and sleek finish and the wing fins and double cockpits are very nice details. default_thumbup.gif We'll miss your airplane MOCs Fires-storm.

Thanks, that was the main thing I was going for, sleek yet awesome design :laugh: Glad you like it! :thumbup: Also, don't worry, this isn't the end by far, just this is all the pieces I had left for making planes so I'll make some other mocs until I have a chance to bricklink :classic::thumbup:

Excellent piece of designing 'Fires-Storm', a fusion of many different warbirds, but I can see original BSG Viper in this and a little X-wing too ! :thumbup:

Great work and I'm a conformist! 'Fires-Storm' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Thank you lightningtiger, I'm glad you like it so much! :grin:

Very cool, I like the large dual prop design, it reminds me of some interesting helicopters I've seen lately.

If your leaving, don't stay away too long!

Yes, the dual props are one of my favorite parts, the design was changed three times but I LOVE the end result! And don't worry, I'm not leaving, but because of my piece count I'll be making much smaller mocs now, or digging up old ones I haven't posted for a bit :classic: Thanks for the concern though :classic:

Nice work on the engines! I like that you used those beams. Though the rear needs some covering, it bugs me that I can look inside the wings and stuff. :classic:

Thanks for your comments -zenn, I'm trying to think how to cover that without throwing off the design or showing technic pins :classic:

Thanks for your comments -zenn, I'm trying to think how to cover that without throwing off the design or showing technic pins :classic:

Maybe flexible tubing from technic sets? You can cut them the size you need. Or those half-pins?

Maybe flexible tubing from technic sets? You can cut them the size you need. Or those half-pins?

Thats what I was thinking, most likely those half pins would be best. I won't cut the tubes because I have so few, and they are so dang useful long. Thanks for the tip! :classic::thumbup: