Sign in to follow this  
AllanSmith

Hero Factory 2010

Great, thankyou! shame about the socket on Meltdown, but hey it looks like a face anyway so I'm actually kind of satisfied.

Cheers, Will/Rocketbilly

On 7/8/2010 at 12:35 PM, ~~Natalie Breez~~ said:

They ALL use Glatorian heads, sans Meltdown who uses an socket. Von Nebula uses the head backwards, with the + thingy on front.

Thankyou! that's rather an odd solution for Von Nebula but functional I guess. Still, I bet it might look a little odd. He has eyes inthe back of his head!

Will/Rocketbilly

No Lego you cheepos! How dare you turn a Glatorian head backwards! You could have atleast used a Av-Matoran head.

EDIT: Review of Xpload! Linky

Edited by The crazy one

No Lego you cheepos! How dare you turn a Glatorian head backwards! You could have atleast used a Av-Matoran head.

It's like that so you can put the Mantax pincers on.

It's like that so you can put the Mantax pincers on.

And another thing. I just watched a Von Nebula review and he can't move his arms! FAIL

I really like Hero Factory before I get the other heros I'll be getting Thunder and Xplode. The glatorian head is also backwards because it's the only way the use them for a bionicle mask.

Edited by duncan bulk

I just created a solution for Von Nebula's arm, and so it makes it bend, but hopefully look good.

VBBN, do you like Von Nebula on the whole?

Well played, VBBN :thumbup:

My computer just about manages to spontaneously combust if it so much as hears the word "pdf file" so I'm grateful for those instruction scans.

Looking at Meltdown from that angle and missing some of his larger pieces shows that he leaves a lot to be desired. Never mind, it's Lego, I can MOD it. Might buy a Mata Nui Legends set on the cheap for parts for Meltdown.

thanks for all the help, everyone.

Will/Rocketbilly

Edited by Rocketbilly

On 7/8/2010 at 6:18 PM, Rocketbilly said:

Well played, VBBN :thumbup:

My computer just about manages to spontaneously combust if so much as hears the word "pdf file" so I'm grateful for those instruction scans.

Looking at Meltdown from that angle and missing some of his larger pieces shows that he leaves a lot to be desired. Never mind, it's Lego, I can MOD it. Might buy a Mata Nui Legends set on the cheap for parts for Meltdown.

hanks for all the help, everyone.

Will/Rocketbilly

Not going to work, Mata Nui is keet-orange, this fellow isyellow.

meltdown+hf.jpg

Ah. I thought Mata Nui was normal yellow. Now you've reminded me, you're quite correct - it's the titan Mata Nui that's got dashes of yellow that are out of place with the canister counterpart. I was under the impression it was the other way round. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Mata Nui's canister lid yellow too? maybe I've just got dodgy vision :wacko:

Will/Rocketbilly

Ah. I thought Mata Nui was normal yellow. Now you've reminded me, you're quite correct - it's the titan Mata Nui that's got dashes of yellow that are out of place with the canister counterpart. I was under the impression it was the other way round. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Mata Nui's canister lid yellow too? maybe I've just got dodgy vision :wacko:

Will/Rocketbilly

Nope, it's Keet-orange

8989_matanui_01.jpg

Curses! my incompetence must be grating, sorry guys! I really need to take my sunglasses off once in a while!

I even wear them in the bath but that against the point :hmpf: . I must pay more attention to these colours.

Looks like my Bitil's getting maimed then for my mod. Having said that, Bitil's not got that many useful yellow parts for a mod of Meltdown. Oh well, I'll do my best as i can see Meltdown being the only villain I pick up, save for Vapour and one of the larger ones.

Will/Rocketbilly

Looks like my Bitil's getting maimed then for my mod. Having said that, Bitil's not got that many useful yellow parts for a mod of Meltdown. Oh well, I'll do my best as i can see Meltdown being the only villain I pick up, save for Vapour and one of the larger ones.

Will/Rocketbilly

You can also scavenge some Technic parts like I did on a recent MOC;

4775802830_c3d490f3eb.jpg

Just some simple bits from an Aqua raiders set can really boost a design. Don't forget that Meltdown could use some lime green as well, I suggest pulling out a spare Nocturn if you have one. ;]

You can also scavenge some Technic parts like I did on a recent MOC;

Just some simple bits from an Aqua raiders set can really boost a design. Don't forget that Meltdown could use some lime green as well, I suggest pulling out a spare Nocturn if you have one. ;]

Nice MOC(s)! Good ideas too, thanks. I will likely follow your advice. I was considering using lime, and yes, I do have a Noctrun broken down I was stripping the carcass last night actually.

I've been MOCing weapon arms and other such add ons in anticipation of my first Hero Factory sets. If my calculations are correct then the arms should fit, it's just a question of swapping them out when I build my first sets.

I myself intend (well, hope) to get one of each Hero and a second Jimi Stringer and Duncan Bulk so I can do what I do with almost all themes: create my own custom, mostly black character. I can't wait to kit him out with my custom weapon arm. I expect I'll be bale to throw together a silver/orange hero, too which will actually probably end up being fused with the Bulk and Vapour version of Duncan, who I understand uses an orange Mahri tube in his construction which should look pretty slick.

Will/Rocketbilly

Edited by Rocketbilly

Nope, it's Keet-orange

[image]

It's weird to open a topic and see a picture you took pop up like that!

Also, for MOCing, don't be afraid to dip into a bin of yellow system bits. Contrary to a lot of AFOL beliefs, the two styles are perfectly integratable.

Could you possibly get some pictures of Corroder and Meltdown? There are reviews of XPlode and Thunder on YouTube now, although they are pretty low-quality video-wise (like I said they are on YouTube. Ha ha, etc), so the only Hero Factory sets we don't have (fan taken) pictures of are Corroder and Meltdown :)

Also, for MOCing, don't be afraid to dip into a bin of yellow system bits. Contrary to a lot of AFOL beliefs, the two styles are perfectly integratable.

Yeah, I've been considering doing that Darth Vader, but the sad truth is almost all of my yellow is in the form of 2X4 basic bricks from the early 90's which have lost a lot of their shine and general "box fresh" coolness. However I have a few more recent, newer curved slope pieces I'd be tempted to integrate into the MOD.

Sounds silly, but I'd never use System pieces in a Bionicle MOC before (well, with the exception of the odd 1x1 cylinder piece I suppose) but for some reason I think it's acceptable in a Hero Factory MOC. Must have something to do with either the specific pieces have in mind having a similar smooth,clean aesthetic to the the theme in general or I've just gradually been seduced into accepting the practice. After all, there's some great predominantly Bionicle MOCS out there that also make use of System pieces to great effect.

Will/Rocketbilly

On 7/8/2010 at 7:03 PM, Darth Vader said:

Your photography never fails my man

Yeah, the mine mech from power miners Prooves that. Some useful pieces there.

Edited by The crazy one

EDIT: Review of Xpload! Linky

There's absolutely nothing "cheap" about the part choice. An Av-Matoran head would have cost almost exactly the same amount as a Glatorian head; possibly less by a negligible amount because the Glatorian head is a more frequently used mold and is slightly smaller.

This kind of misapplication of the word "cheap" really bothers me, because it assumes LEGO has an ulterior motive behind this sort of decision. Fact is, they don't, it's just the best piece for the job. There's nothing wrong with using a head piece a little creatively on a character who's probably not supposed to remove his helmet anyway.

Chill, I was refering to the fact it is ugly doing that. Nothing to do with cost, and also, like an argument we had earlier, it's my opinion.

Though fair enough, it would have been hard to get those claws around his mouth, so they are forgiven on my part.

from the review, I can see that Xplode's armor and weapon are some really sweet parts. Unfortunately, I'm not personally too keen on his look and I find that the armor only looks good from a certain angle. They could have at least put something on the back part of the three-way pin on his arm- even a bohrok eye- just something to prevent that lazy look to the set. the arms also bug me a bit, but I could live with that.

Thunder, on the other hand looks great! This is another set I don't like the appearance of because of that massive underbite, but overall, the thing looks solid and well armored and has a cool weapon.

Still looking forward to reviews for Corroder and Meltdown, who are the best of the series in my opinion.

I'm not sure which I will get- Corroder looks so feral and raptor-like, but meltdown is the epitome of evil robot plus he has more trans-injected tubes and the biohazard canisters....

Both win for me, but I suppose Meltdown is best for parts. What do you guys think?

I think the reason why TLG used a Glatorian head and not an Avtoran one is so that Nebula's mandibles that are Mantax's claws can be attached to the side of its head.