I am not sure about the angle, but the wheels on left and right have to be mirrored, so they all prepedicual to center of the vehicle when looking drom the underside.

I am not sure about the angle, but the wheels on left and right have to be mirrored, so they all prepedicual to center of the vehicle when looking drom the underside.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

So it has to be mirrored on the vertical center, what about mirrored on the horizontal center? I would expect that as well - no?

Thanks,

Noam

Hi,

Exactly like I said :)

They all "point" to the center, so they are mirrored horizontally and vertically.

No, tgey all ahve to be like on this picture:

p1150168.jpg

sniggerfardimundus posted 8 pictures on his Flickr photostream about this Mecanum Wheel design. He calls them "omniwheels", but others have correctly identified them as Mecanum Wheels. He shows "exploded" pictures to show how they are made :cry_happy: , and he wrote,

"I've been needing a larger omniwheel than the Metal Grudge that has seen so much attention recently, but I wound up with a wheel that was nearly six studs wide and still had the same rough ride ad the MG. This wheel is a bit heavier, but will fit in a space four studs wide at the rim and five at the hub. The ride is much smoother that the MG or my expanded wheel."

5447042141_a7f0a679b1_b.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Hi I'm new here.

After making an order on bricklink and constructing the wheels I ran into a problem. The small wheels automatically collapse in and rub against the inside dishes. I noticed on the Ldd file that some of the technic connecters are different colors. Does that matter?

I'm new at technic so it might just be something obvious I overlooked.

@ Bioniclefan: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: Did you see Zblj's additional explanation on this post, concerning parts that could not be modeled/included in his LDD .lxf file?

Yes, I did put the tires on the wheels. What I'm having trouble with is that the technic connectors allow the small wheels to move to much and hit other small wheels or the plates with six holes. I noticed on the Ldd file that there's 6 in gray, 4 in black, and one in blue and white, does that have anything to to with it? Mine are all black.

EDIT: Pictures.I circled problem areas.

wheel against wheel

wheel against dish

Edited by Bioniclefan

@ Bioniclefan: Now that you have made Zblj's Mecanum Wheels, what kind of vehicle are you going to mount them on?

Edited by DLuders

I created an account just because of this awesome topic. Now i know its been a while since anyone posted here, but the heck with it. I just ordered parts for 4 of the 2 version wheels, at the semi-reasonable price of $84 from briklink. Heres hoping German customs are efficient.

@ ba12348: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: After you build the wheels and place it on your vehicle, please post your creation so that people can see it!

I plan to, at first it was just going to be a forkift (the mast was a nighmare), but after seeing this <Video> I knew what had to be done.

P.S. as someone who spends all day driving forklifts, I have to wonder why this company ever went out of business

[bUMP]

Look at the SIZE *oh2* of the Lego Mecanum wheels on this Lego Mindstorms creation (from AFOLCon 2012/The Lego Show, as photographed on domhodgson's Flickr photoset):

6999741890_927f758d5c_c.jpg

Pretty cool. I'm guessing it can move in any direction, and the nxt mounted low like that acts as a weight that keeps the motors from going around inside the wheel. Maybe I'm wrong....I dunno. :grin:

:oh3:*huh* .What does it even do?

tim

It can move in any direction. Each wheel has its own motor and Eric (the builder) can make it do some magical things.

[bUMP]

Look at the SIZE *oh2* of the Lego Mecanum wheels on this Lego Mindstorms creation (from AFOLCon 2012/The Lego Show, as photographed on domhodgson's Flickr photoset):

Wow - that is an amazing machine - I'd like to see that in action!

there is a youtube video of the mecanum wheels in action

are there any instructions for the smaller wheels seen on the NXT vehicle??

WOW!!! That video is very impressive! I had never seen anything like this. At first, I could only wonder how it works... I thought that after seeing it in action, I would get a better picture of that... But no, I'm just as perplexed as in the beginning. :grin:

Some other awesome creations in that video by the way. Thanks for the link. :thumbup:

@ VASH321: At the 2:48 portion of

you mentioned above, it says "Improved design from Jernej Kremlj" (who is "ZBLJ" on this forum). His Vector Racer Mecanum wheels are found in his Brickshelf gallery (complete with Lego Digital Designer (LDD) .lxf Building Instructions file). :classic:

His YouTube video shows the

in action:

when you look at this

at 0:27

you see that the kinda look like the third design from ZBLJ but smaller?