159 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Like having the Crutiatis Curse performed on me
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Like having taken Felix Felicis

And I had just convinced myself not to get this set. :tongue:

Wonderful review, I'll have to check in with the wallet to see if I can pick this one up.

~G

You sold me. I'm buying this set. The mini-figs do the trick. Your check is in the mail.

Got it today and finished building it just a while ago. This really is a great set!

Thanks for the review, Cloney! Got me thinking about some details I didn't paid much attention to.

I'm mostly impressed by the number of "normal" parts that this set contains. Many PoP-coloured bricks, log bricks in both brown and dark brown, plenty of dark red slopes and other good stuff. Stickers are both good and bad to me, but in this set I wanted to use them all, though it's a future question if I'll be able to come up with a good use for them in MOCing.

It's one thing I don't agree with you in your review. I think the old Ginny-minifig is really good! I've used that head in a lot of MOCs and really like it. And it's not really fair to compare her to the new version, I think :wink:

I absolutely BUSTED up during my college class when I saw the picture about lovers always finding a way :p

Edited by aaronptrck

I don't know why, but I'm not really fond of the two new hairtypes (black curly and orange long)

Other than that, this set is really lovely! Nice colour scheme and some great parts (decorated tiles, ...) :thumbup:

Don't know if I'll buy it though.. maybe I'll just order some specific parts on Bricklink. :classic:

i'm a boy, and i'm not an adult, so i think this set does sell to the target age group and to both boys and girls. i LOVE the figures, and although i'm thrilled that they made bellatrix and fenrir, i would have liked it more if they'd included more of the weasley children. I love the outfits, but i think that onthe parts of the outfits that show skin the skin is quite yellowish. I also think they could have added another room into the roof bit of the kitchen. Plus, WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO REVIEW THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS?!

i'm a boy, and i'm not an adult, so i think this set does sell to the target age group and to both boys and girls. i LOVE the figures, and although i'm thrilled that they made bellatrix and fenrir, i would have liked it more if they'd included more of the weasley children. I love the outfits, but i think that onthe parts of the outfits that show skin the skin is quite yellowish. I also think they could have added another room into the roof bit of the kitchen. Plus, WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO REVIEW THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS?!

If you're a boy, you shouldn't be on this forum, right?

A fine review indeed, Clone-o-Patra, although I must say I miss that you decided against a photo of the parts spread... that's one element of a review that I depend on most in deciding to buy a set :wink:.

I agree with the others that the minifigures here are fantastic, and I particularly like the Bellatrix figure. While I'm not a HP fan (don't have a single set), this round of sets may change that. We'll see. Huge downside, as always seems to be the case in newer sets, is the sticker sheet. TLG didn't even make the stove piece printed. For all the quality we've seen in the figures, they keep getting cheaper on the printed part front. :thumbdown::thumbdown::sing:

Edited by Blackicep8ntball

Fantastic review, Clone O'Patra. I agree with everything you say, now I'll just have to get my hands on it :tongue: ... But from the excellent pictures judging this set is indeed the best one of the entire LEGO Harry Potter theme (until now, I can only hope). I just like everything about it: the great exterior, the detailed interior with lovely stickers, the nice colour scheme, the animals and even the attempt of designing a swamp (two dark tan bushes!).

But of course, the figures are the absolute highlight of this set! They are just perfect, and so detailed! They match their film counterparts very well. I think Bellatrix :wub: is my favorite one, and as close second Ginny. I have to nitpick: they should have given Molly an angry face. Really angry. So we could recreate the scene where Molly and Bellatrix duel with each other, with of course Bella's scared face. "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU ...!"

I can't wait to make a comparison of this set... with my own Burrow. :look: I've also been thinking to compare all of the new sets with their older versions, but it seem you're doing this also, Clone O'Patra, so I'm looking forward to it! :wink:

Thank you for the nice review. :thumbup::classic:

I already wanted this set and now I want it so much more.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :tongue: For the Nice Review! This will be the first set of the new ones which I'm going to buy!

Edited by It All Ends Here

TLG didn't even make the stove piece printed. For all the quality we've seen in the figures, they keep getting cheaper on the printed part front.

I don't understand what you (and many others) really have against stickers in this case. All of the stickers in this set go on completely flat surfaces, so they are not a pain to apply and the result is exactly the same as if the part had come printed. I agree that sticker usage on sloping parts can be a pain in Star Wars sets these days, but on flat pieces it is no problem. Why do you hate it so much?

I've also been thinking to compare all of the new sets with their older versions, but it seem you're doing this also, Clone O'Patra, so I'm looking forward to it! :wink:

Alas, if I had the older Hagrid's Huts I would compare them, but I do not. All I am going to compare is the minifigures, since minifigures are my favorite part of LEGO sets anyway. By all means goa head and make some comparisons; I would love to see how the different versions hold up against each other. My philosophy about reviewing is: never get discouraged that somebody else has already reviewed a set, or says they want to. If you want to review that set too, and especially if you have a lot to say about it, go ahead and post your own review!

The reviewer seems to have an unhealthy infatuation with an (unattractive) fourteen year old actress. Which is particularly alarming, seeing as how this is supposed to be a site for AFOLS.

The reviewer seems to have an unhealthy infatuation with an (unattractive) fourteen year old actress. Which is particularly alarming, seeing as how this is supposed to be a site for AFOLS.

*huh*

I think you have a lot of imagination to be able to come up with such idea (a good thing to have as a LEGO builder but not preferable when using it like this). Besides, you don't got your facts right: Bonnie Wright who's playing Ginny is 19 years old (born 1991) so she's even welcome on Eurobricks if she want. Also, the review isn't once referring to the actress. The obsession is all about the minifig, a love that many of us AFOLs can realte to :wub:

Also, the review isn't once referring to the actress.

To be fair, I do say that the minifigure is "a true and beautiful representation of Bonnie Wright," but that is not describing Bonnie Wright, it is describing the minifigure.

It is not very healthy of you, lefty, to make baseless accusations, especially when you even get your facts wrong. What's more, there is absolutely no reason for you to bring in your own opinions about an actor or actress here; that kind of discussion goes in Culture and Multimedia, if anywhere at all. Thanks, and perhaps you yourself can post more like an AFOL next time.

To be fair, I do say that the minifigure is "a true and beautiful representation of Bonnie Wright," but that is not describing Bonnie Wright, it is describing the minifigure.

:blush: Looks like I didn't read the review as good as I thought. I guess a second time won't hurt. :tongue:

Clonks, what a fantastic review of a series I didn't even know was out yet. This makes me quite excited for the new HP stuff to hit the store shelves. I may have to get a few to get me some HP figs. Thursday review like usual is full of detail and nothing has been left out.

Smashing job, thanks for the review.

I don't understand what you (and many others) really have against stickers in this case. All of the stickers in this set go on completely flat surfaces, so they are not a pain to apply and the result is exactly the same as if the part had come printed. I agree that sticker usage on sloping parts can be a pain in Star Wars sets these days, but on flat pieces it is no problem. Why do you hate it so much?

A fair question :classic:. To be honest, part of it is just being an oldtimer. When I was a kid, sets typically didn't have stickers, and when they did, they were typically cheap, paper stickers. We grew fond of having printed parts, and cringed when a hated sticker sheet fell out of the box. Stickers tended to wear off over time, pick up dirt and dust, and generally looked cheaper than printed parts. We also hated the stickers that spanned multiple parts, making the piece either useless for other builds or useless for building the original set again. Stickers were (and still are) just a pain to put on well.

Now, I will say that recently, the stickers are much higher quality; moreover, I haven't seen the "multiple parts" stickers in a while. However, even the new stickers present a lot of the old problems: they're no fun to put on, pick up dust and peel after time, are difficult to take off and re-apply if you don't get it right the first time, and they just make the sets look cheaper than printed parts (I've even had non-Lego fans comment on the cheap look of stickers). Printed parts are just far more desireable in my opinion.

You're right that the Star Wars sets tend to have the most difficult stickers to put on (i.e. the cockpit stickers on the Arc-170), but I've yet to experience any sticker that was super easy.

I do acknowledge one benefit that stickers have over printed parts: if you want the part without the decoration, you can just take the sticker off. There are a few parts where this is convenient; however, IMO the other downsides just outweigh this advantage.

I recognize that this is just one view out of many. Perhaps it makes more sense if you think about disappointed you'd be if you found out that minifig torsos would no longer be printed, they were going to stickers. :classic: I think that's the feeling I have towards stickers generally.

Anyway, hope this didn't hijack your topic too much!

Edited by Blackicep8ntball

However, even the new stickers present a lot of the old problems: they're no fun to put on, pick up dust and peel after time, are difficult to take off and re-apply if you don't get it right the first time, and they just make the sets look cheaper than printed parts (I've even had non-Lego fans comment on the cheap look of stickers). Printed parts are just far more desireable in my opinion.

I do agree with you here, I have some sets that have had their stickers applied for some time and it really starts to show. I just think that overall people are exhibiting more hate for stickers than is reasonable. After all, is it really worth TLG's while to print a clock and a little table and a stove that will probably only ever be used in this one set anyway?

The wood boards, are a different matter though, as are the large pieces in the Castle and Hagrid's Hut that get "stonework" stickers. Since there are so many of each of these pieces, LEGO really should've printed them and I dislike that they did not.

Excellent review! Makes me want to pick this kit up.

The mini-figs are cool and I like that it has lot's of accessories.

Question, not a huge fan of the movies (I've only seen the 1st 2 awhile back) but tell me...the fireplace that you can teleport from...is that a part of the house or in the film it's separate from the home and outside on the grounds?

Question, not a huge fan of the movies (I've only seen the 1st 2 awhile back) but tell me...the fireplace that you can teleport from...is that a part of the house or in the film it's separate from the home and outside on the grounds?

It's a normal fireplace, right in the house. LEGO just couldn't fit it in I suppose so they made it huge and separate.

I absolutely BUSTED up during my college class when I saw the picture about lovers always finding a way :p

Tsk tsk...shouldn't you be paying attention in class and not perusing these lovely boards. :tongue:

Edited by Legocrazy81

Thanks for the great review Clone O'Patra, you've just helped me decide which of the new Harry Potter sets to prioritise. And yes, damn you Lego for making me like something Harry Potter related, I feel so unclean now...