4840 The Burrow  

159 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Like having the Crutiatis Curse performed on me
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Like having taken Felix Felicis

Harry Potter being re-born really surprised me. I never thought it would happen after that one wimpy OotP set. But, when it did happen, I jumped immediately and made a pre-order. Usually I start my reviews with a nice title pic, complete with type. This time, with time being pretty pressed, I'll just open it up with one of the most beautiful minifigures LEGO has released, ever: The Ginnyfigure.

5028857792_c57e663151_b.jpg

Set Title: The Burrow

Set #: 4840

Theme: Harry Potter

Movie Connections: Mainly Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Pieces: 568

Minifigures: 6

Year of Release: 2010

Price at Release: USD $60, GBP 60, EUR 70, CAD 80

Buy It? Inventory? Bricklink LEGO

INTRODUCTION

Even before pictures came out for the new Harry Potter line, I remember reading a description of a new Ginny figure with perfect hair, written by someone who had been at the UK Toy Fair. That sounded good to me. Then pics came out, and it was clear in my mind that this was the best of the new line, and possibly of all the Harry Potter sets LEGO has ever released. This set has four figures that had never been released in LEGO form before, tons of accessories, and a cool-looking house. What's more, the price is quite reasonable. What could be wrong?

It's not always a good thing to go in with high expectations, because you might end up disappointed. So, the question is, how does this set hold up in real life? All you have to do is read on…

BOX

Most LEGO boxes are very bright, giving off a happy, toy-ish feel. Of course the toy-ish feel still exists here (it's LEGO, after all), but this box is quite dark. Some evil looking characters surrounded by fire attacking a happy-looking house? That is not something usual for a LEGO set.

5028252627_1a3c3f4f76_b.jpg

The back of the box has a much happier, feel, showing off all the "play features" (who knew sitting on a bed was a play feature?), and no longer including any fiery doom. I love that pasted-on parchment theme of these new HP sets.

5028868566_98f4c13649_b.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

The instructions are pretty normal, being spread over two somewhat mangled booklets. I find it odd that neither of the booklets has a page advertising the six new sets; they only advertise the video game.

5028869554_6c9e7efa34_b.jpg

There's a slightly creepy and intense picture of the trio faded into some of the pages that have slower steps. I'm not sure I appreciate that.

5028869846_cf2c70d90c_b.jpg

Sorry, no spread of pieces in a review of a larger set. I'm not so into setting it all up. Instead, I'll dive right into the figures, which are one of the major highlights of this set.

STICKERS

These days, a DSS isn't a DSS just because it is a sticker sheet, it's a DSS because it's freaking warped! Why can't LEGO solve this problem? Still, this one isn't too warped, and these stickers are awesome. I don't mind that they're stickers at all since they really enhance the set (and there are no stickers on weird slopey pieces or over multiple bricks).

5028242399_aa2875f76b_b.jpg

MINIFIGURES

The minifigures that come with the Burrow are simply awesome. So many new prints, and all usable within a City and many other themes if you don't mind fleshies.

Parents

Introducing Ma and Pa Weasley. Arthur and Molly have never been made into figures before, and LEGO did a fine job on them. Dad's face is a bit too smiley I think, but I can live with it. Those torsos make up for his overly cheery demeanor.

5028238795_39a3007345_b.jpg

The parents do not have reversible heads, but their torsos do wrap around to the back. Simply beautiful.

5028855858_576f8c427e_b.jpg

Bad Guys

Oh man, more figs to die for! The torsos are wonderfully detailed and gothic, while the hair and the faces are super too! Fenrir is just so well-detailed with so many little hairy lines on his face. Bellatrix looks a little bit strange, and not quite like Helena Bonham Carter's pouty performance. Her face suffers from being a little too cartoony for the character, but it still gives off some sense of Bellatrix. Both of their hair pieces are great additions to the world of LEGO hair.

5028239491_37bc377b7b_b.jpg

Both of the bad guys have reversible heads, even though I don't think they need them. Bellatrix really doesn't get scared very often, so I'm not sure what is up with that alternate expression. I think a more solemn face would've been better. Fenrir doesn't need a closed-mouth face, but of course I wouldn't refuse it.

5028856554_90ee42a5a0_b.jpg

Only Bellatrix has a back print, but that's fine. Since Fenrir is just in a jacket, he certainly doesn't need one.

5028240051_328eba36f9_b.jpg

The Kids

And here's where we get to my favorite figure. As many of you know, there is an ongoing discussion about Harry's face. All I'll say here about that is yes, he looks a little young, or maybe just too happy. The Harry head introduced in GoF sets is better, but it doesn't have the details in subtle colors. This one isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Then there's Ginny. The subtlety of her smile. Those tiny freckles. The dark red jeans and sweater. Soooo fantastic. I'll get back to her in more detail below.

5028240281_94edd99061_b.jpg

They too have alternate faces, both grumpy. Perhaps Harry isn't actually such a good kisser. Harry's intense face works for him at any age I'd say, while Ginny looks delightfully pissed off. We've never got many pissed figures before.

5028857324_c1cbe96e1c_b.jpg

Both have back prints as well. Harry's is pretty unimposing, but you have to love those little dotted patterns on Ginny's sweaters. I'm getting detail overload with these figs!

5028240811_009f0b1af2_b.jpg

Ginny

Although you may not remember it, this isn't the first Ginny minifigure. This is, however, the first Ginnyfigure, a true and beautiful representation of Bonnie Wright. Can you even believe LEGO would release that old? She has freckles on top of her nose! It's so crappy I'm gonna die!

5028241767_e102b3f865_b.jpg

Who's Missing?

Ok, so this is the Burrow. … The Burrow! Isn't that where Ron lives? Where's Ron!? Honestly, I don't mind too much that Ron wasn't included. You can find him in two other sets, and this set already has so many new and awesome figures. Some people will probably have an issue with Ron's absence here (and maybe in the Castle too), but I suggest buying Hagrid's Hut anyway. I may tell you why if I get to reviewing that set.

Anyway, here's the Weasley picture. At least all the Weasleys LEGO has ever given us. They really look great all together, with their matching hair colors. Well-designed figs everyone.

5028242109_f633f3cd63_b.jpg

ACCESSORIES

This set is truly a dollhouse, with added little catapults to make boys happy (I guess). I'll get to that idea of a dollhouse a bit more later on, but just looking at the fine accessories and built accessories for this set, you will start to see how true that really is.

Animals

Any good dollhouse needs to have animal buddies for the dolls, which are, in this case, minifigures. These animals are actually characters as well. From left to right: Babe, Hedwig, and Errol, the Weasley's old daft bird (for those who didn't remember). These new owls are so much better than those blank old ones, even though they have an oddly angular mold. The printing makes up for it.

5028242583_dfab5c11e9_b.jpg

Figure Accessories

There are plenty of household items in The Burrow, ranging from printed sock tiles and newspapers to tableware and food. All good for household roleplay.

5028242849_606d0ba456_b.jpg

Furnishings

Obviously these aren't molded accessories, but they are still accessories. Quite nice ones and that. The stack of plates is ingenious!

5028243073_6bb2902506_b.jpg

Ok, so these are technically part of the build, but their here as details to the set, and for play with the figures. Considering these things, you may start to wonder to yourself: "normal LEGO sets don't usually have this many little inanimate, seemingly boring objects. Only sets like the modular buildings and MMV have this level of design." It's very true. That's why this set feels like a dollhouse. And, being stereotypical, girls buy dollhouses. That's quite interesting; a normal-line HP set catered towards girls?

Wands

Of course, for confrontational and other purposes, the set comes with enough wands for everybody but Mrs. Weasley. Why didn't she get a wand? I've already gotten over these wands a long time ago, but they still do really suck. They're far to big! Why couldn't LEGO make a nice, new molded wand piece like is featured int he videogame? But, like I said, I got over long ago…

5028241471_aee76bf0b3_b.jpg

SET

No build pics this time, sorry. I'm not sure who helpful they really are anyway. It's a building; you build it up from the ground.

Swamp

Since this set mainly ties into the films scene in which Bellatrix and Fenrir attack the Burrow, LEGO had to include the swamp. The swamp also provides something for the little boys who expect to fling things around something to do. LEGO even added an extra catapult with red bombs for good measure.

5028858008_0be2dc39a0_b.jpg

Outdoor Fireplace

Not enough houses have outdoor fireplaces these days. Especially not ones that are as tall or taller than the first floor of the house. The fireplace is the Burrow's other "play feature" apart from the tiny catapults. It has some nice little painting on top, and Errol likes to roost there because those flames are very warm.

5028859934_9c75ef75e6_b.jpg

What you do with the fireplace is put a figure in there, yell "Disney World," and flip it over. As the figure plunks out the back, you are greeted with some lovely green floo powder flames, though not really inside the fireplace, since it has also mysteriously evaporated. It works quite well, but is also utterly boring.

5028243811_3dfa7abe87_b.jpg

At least LEGO used this opportunity to throw the fez piece into a third set! For all of you who didn't get the Venice Canal Chase or the Agents 4x4, you can get a fez! (Warning: it makes your figures look bald.)

5028860190_deb32aa479_b.jpg

The Burrow - Full Angles

Ramshackle, eye-catching glory! Yes, it doesn't look quite like the Burrow from the films, but it still gives off a big Burrow vibe. These sets are a mishmash of things anyway, including inspiration from the books. LEGO pulled off the slapped-together look quite nicely, while not creating an eyesore.

5028860682_85b99c0575_b.jpg

Here, straight from the front, you can note the asymmetry even more. I love that! The color scheme and overall look of the set are quite charming, evoking a warm and cozy home. This house is much more visually interesting than LEGO's usual CITY houses.

5028244253_fba71c7561_b.jpg

From the left side you note a lot of the PoP color, and even some PoP arches. LEGO mixed it pretty well; it all looks about the same. Some people may complain that the wood had to be stickered, but really it makes no difference to me. It's much better than if it were blank.

5028244543_0b01dce1aa_b.jpg

There's a lot to see from the back, but I'll note everything in the upcoming closeups. This whole view shows you who jam-packed with detail it is. But not play features, just cool accessories and details.

5028861470_f8d441bf7b_b.jpg

The right side has less PoP sand dark orange, and more wood. Asymmetry going to work!

5028861744_9db2eac0fb_b.jpg

That concludes are long shots of The Burrow. It's a very pleasing exterior because it is so unusual for a LEGO set to look this way. Usually houses look neat and clean, while this one is an awesome mish-mash. Harry Potter is so good for unusual sets that tie into a town setting.

The Burrow - Close Up

The ground floor is so nice! Those jutting-out windows are superb, and I like the sturdiness of the redesigned doors as well. They are more like hunks of wood than the old ones.

5028245681_806c094a96_b.jpg

Babe goes in a little pen right outside the house, so that they don't have to drag him very far once they've slaughtered him. It would make more sense to be adjoined to the kitchen, but this is a fantastical dollhouse anyway, so all of the rooms are mashed together.

5028246265_a5694ed0d3_b.jpg

All-in-one on the ground floor we have the kitchen, living room, dining room, and sitting area. The sitting area with swively chairs is a bit close to the dining room table, but who doesn't love swively chairs? It's all in your mind how you see the rooms.

5028246679_5905fc426a_b.jpg

Let's take a closer look at the different first floor areas, shall we?

Mama's in the kitchen, doing something…

5028247053_a3890d5cab_b.jpg

The kids are awkwardly staring at each other in the living room.

5028247419_72319d13bd_b.jpg

While Dad is cheerily reading about Muggles in Soviet Russia whose Wii plays them.

5028247787_2859ec0381_b.jpg

Let us now travel upstairs and see what is in store for us inside.

5028245323_c8b8f990f4_b.jpg

The real problem with these floors is that they are awfully cramped. All of the details are excellent, but you can barely see them once the roof is on and little light can get in. It is also difficult to put figures in there, since there isn't much room to maneuver with big fingers.

5028865570_94bc7a1f39_b.jpg

Still, the designer put a lot of time into making sure the room looks great, even if you can't see it once it is finished.

5028248699_5d897bf44e_b.jpg

Time for the top floor, which really has very little in it. There's a bed, a lamp, a poster, and an issue of the Quibbler. This one isn't as cramped because there is no depth to it anyway.

5028866164_3a53436de9_b.jpg

Even in cramped spaces, lovers always find a way.

5028250229_62a5f504b0_b.jpg

Overall, this baby is super-well-designed. The minute details are superb. LEGO really needs to make more houses like this: no play features, no gimmicks, just beautifully crafted goodness. Using LEGO to it's full potential. I think they may have started going that way with the newest family city house, but that is still much blander than the Burrow.

The problem is, will boys actually like this set? I know I do, and I'm male, but I of course am not the target age range. Or am I? Did LEGO design this set with AFOLs in mind? It actually seems like they might've, since no AFOL in their right mind should pass this house up.

COMPLETE SET

The catapults are obviously a nod to boyhood, but the swamp actually rounds out the set quite nicely. It reminds you that this isn't just a colorful, creaky house, but actually an intense scene from a brilliant movie (if you want to challenge the high quality of HBP, I'll see you in the Culture & Multimedia forum). Conflict is great, though, and it gives us an excuse to get more bad guys!

5028250851_4336fc6179_b.jpg

Time to fight! Harry practices the Crutiatis curse on Bellatrix, while Fenrir eyes the mouth-watering morsel that is the Ginnyfigure.

5028251159_32f757e5a9_b.jpg

But good guys always win, of course, and the happy couple scores some new greaser outfits.

5028868112_6bfe1df4eb_b.jpg

CONCLUSION

Do you actually want to read any more? You probably skimmed the pics anyway and missed my subtle attempts at humor.

I'll just recap it: glorious figures, beautiful house, terrific set. Will it sell to boys? Who knows. Maybe not the kind of boys that are into Star Wars, but boys who actually like fantasy and magic and things without guns and explosions will eat up this set. So will girls. And so will AFOLs. Here that AFOLs? Go buy it!

RATINGS

Here's the problem with ratings this time: I've already exhaustively lauded all the awesome qualities of 4840 The Burrow. Did you see me say anything negative? Ok, Pa Weasley is too happy, Bella's head isn't quite right, and Harry looks high (perfect for your Felix Felicis MOCs, by the way). But those trifles are not going to make me mark anything down. Nothing at all.

I wanted this set, I bought this set, I absolutely adore this set.

It gets a big ol' 10/10 from yours truly, and I recommend it even more highly than other sets I've given a 10/10 in the past, because this is one baby that you should not pass up. You will regret it, and Bricklink prices will be exorbitant. Trust me. They always are.

This is just the beginning of your favorite patented Cloney-O Harry Potter 2010 reviews. I freaking love Harry Potter, and I'm going to talk about and compare everything I can, Cloney-O style. You can look forward to some comparisons of all three sets of trio figs Hagrid, Malfoy, etc. Until next time.

And piece by piece, our new Harry Potter review collection will soon be complete. Now face the firepower of this fully armed and...nevermind. Great review, I am in love with these figures, and the level of detail (Chuddly Cannons, Quibbler, etc.) is amazing. I can't believe I hesistated to order this set. Good thing I haven't order any of them at all yet. :laugh:

Even if I do skip out on this theme, I must get this set.

Three days to go and all of these sets will be with me. I really love this set and it will be on the top of my list.

I think that this would be in the top 5 harry potter sets ever and a main reason is probably because of the minifigures.

This is a brilliantly diverse set and I will enjoy building it. Thanks for the review. :cry_happy:

Thank you soo much for this review, I'm sold, I have to buy this one.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Thank you so much for this review! I have been waiting a long time for a review of this set!

I think this easily has potential to win a spot as one of the best sets as 2010, as it is all around fantastic. :wub:

I don't remember being so excited for a normal release set in a long time and I think this one might live up to the hype! The parts, the design and details, the figures, the accessories- this is a near perfect set! :wub:

I am eagerly waiting to get this set! Thanks for the thorough review! :classic:

-Derek

Well, I'm sold. Again.

I was going to get this anyway, but now it's become No. 1 priority. Thank you for an excellent review Clone O'Patra, your pictures couldn't be more clear and capturing of the detail in the set.

Do you mind if I ask where you bought this from? I don't think it was mentioned in the review, apologies if it was. I was primarily curious if the HP sets are starting to show up in stores in the U.S. or not.

Wonderful, wonderful review. This set is indeed a must buy. I can't wait to pick this up.

The mini figures are wonderful. Bellatrix's hairpiece has got to be one of the best female hairpieces in all of LEGO. I really need one of her.

Great set.

Do you mind if I ask where you bought this from? I don't think it was mentioned in the review, apologies if it was. I was primarily curious if the HP sets are starting to show up in stores in the U.S. or not.

I ordered it online from LEGO.com on September 2nd. That's why it came when it did. Stores have been told not to put out the sets until October 1, I believe, which is the official release date. Even LEGO stores are not supposed to put them out until then.

Wow! What a stunning review! Really good photographs as well. What is your set-up like/ what camera do you use?

I love the look of this set, no question whatsoever about buying it! I think I'll get the Hogwarts Castle first though, I love the look of that set more.

Thanks for the review, and 1 set left for reviewing!

What is your set-up like/ what camera do you use?

Two incandescent lamps with in-camera white balance, two white poster boards. My camera is the Canon SX110 IS (same as Matn, or at least it used to be).

I urge you to join the Reviewers' Academy if you are interested in taking your reviewing to a higher level.

Thanks everyone for you kind comments so far!

Love it! I'll have to buy this one, if not for just the incredible figures alone!

My only possible complaint about the set is the decision to still use the larger wands instead of brown recolors of the new shorter piece from the Collectible Minifigure Magician.

Awesome! This is the best set of the line. I love all the details, something a lot of other HP sets are/were missing.

I ordered it online from LEGO.com on September 2nd. That's why it came when it did. Stores have been told not to put out the sets until October 1, I believe, which is the official release date. Even LEGO stores are not supposed to put them out until then.

Ok, that's good to know. I won't have to waste a long drive to the nearest TRU for nothing, then. Thank you for the reply! I'm looking forward to your next HP reviews. :thumbup:

Thanks 'Clone O'Patra' for the review - I wasn't considering this set before, but now WOW it's fantastic - printed parts and AWESOME figures - oh, by the way my son saw the head switch between the four and had a little chuckle ! :laugh:

Now I must get this as well as Hagrid's Hut - ouch my wallet ! :wink:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Very nice review and a very nice set! I however don't remember the Weasleys having a pig...but hey, whatever works! I'm a touch irked though, I pre-ordered all 6 but didn't get the alternate instructions for this, anyone have it and can post up a picture?

Super review of a super set! Nicely done, as ever, Cloney!

Like you I can't really find a criticism of this set - so packed full of charm, and gorgeous figures :wub: . I've never bought a Harry Potter set before, but I've been thinking about starting, and having seen your review I now know where to begin.

Edit: I've no idea what Felix Felicis is - some Happy spell? - but I voted for it! :sweet:

Edit: I've no idea what Felix Felicis is - some Happy spell? - but I voted for it! :sweet:

It's lucky potion.

Yes, Felix Felicis is a luck potion that makes the drinker have good luck in everything. In the Half-Blood Prince film, Harry just seems kind of high once he takes it.

Great review :thumbup: . The only reson I want this set is for Fenrir and Bellatrix(heads) they are so evil looking. The $60 price tag is a bit much for just that. This review did make me think about geting it though at it seems to come with som nice parts and the other minifigures look pretty good. :thumbup:

Honestly, I'm surprised how much praise you give this. It's a pretty good set, but not very excellent. Minifigs are not too awesome, the top floor is way too small, the "outside" parts are no, and they are way too many stickers for the kitchen.

Honestly, I'm surprised how much praise you give this. It's a pretty good set, but not very excellent. Minifigs are not too awesome, the top floor is way too small, the "outside" parts are no, and they are way too many stickers for the kitchen.

Everybody has their own opinion.

Spectacular review of what seems to be one amazing set. :sweet: I hope that somehow soon I am lucky enough to get my hands on it.

I didn't think much of it before, but that Fenrir hairpiece is so cool. Reminds me of a Greaser or an old Brylcreem ad. Think it can be used in some awesome MOCs.

This is a great set. It is probably the best of the New Harry Potter Sets. To sad they didn't incllude Ron. :hmpf_bad:

Great set, nice review, and I will definetly pic this up. :classic:

I really want this set. I may even get two, so that I cam have bigger top floors and make the whole thing taller. :laugh: The figures are simply gorgeous, bit I do agree Bella should have had the pout on her reverse side head. I also agree with you on the subject of the Half Blood Prince film, a lot of people dislike the film, but I think it's the best one to date. :wub: