Sign in to follow this  
Zerobricks

Vector racer

So here is the real model topic

lddscreenshot13.png

For LDD model I had quite some problems. The wheel geometry was quite hard to build (poor hing tool), the rims wouldnt fit in the tyres (they fit in real life, but they arent made for each other) and because normal pins wouldnt fit in pulley wheels I had to use cross pins.

lddscreenshot16.png

After I finished one wheel, I had to redo the whole process, but mirrored! Also there are 3/4 pins where 3L ones should be, where the beam is placed halfway through them (illegal method by LDD, yet used in Lego models).

lddscreenshot17.png

I also found a big, where the connector (colored red) wouldnt fit on top of the yellow brick, which it should (same applys for bushes).

lddscreenshot14.png

Somewhere along the build the chassis shifted slightly, but its not too disturbing.

lddscreenshot15.png

The end result has almost all the parts with excpetion of panels in the rear and wheel rims.

Total LDD build time was arround 3 hours, a good portion spent on wheels.

lddscreenshot18.png

Download model:

Vector racer

Hope you guys like the model!

Edited by Zblj

This is among the best I've seen! :wub:

I mean, what more can you ask for:

1) Great idea

2) Well designed (in LDD partly)

3) Built with physcial bricks

4) Documented with a great video

5) Shared LXF in the best of AFOL spirit

You deserve a medal.

EDIT: Oh, I found out why 3L Pins are illegal nowadays. It's because the ridge on the middle of the pin that would force it to be compressed when placed, and this is not liked at TLG. But I guess you allready knew that.

EDIT2: The bug you found, can you describe it some more please?

The bug doesnt allow the joiner to be placed in the manner like other simillar shaped elements fit. A picture tells a thousand words:

lddscreenshot19.png

You can see, that two elements dont fit as they should.

Edited by Zblj

"For LDD model I had quite some problems. The wheel geometry was quite hard to build (poor hing tool), the rims wouldnt fit in the tyres (they fit in real life, but they arent made for each other) and because normal pins wouldnt fit in pulley wheels I had to use cross pins."

Great and very well-documented work in LDD! My work on the 856 Technic bulldozer is still in progress - and I agree that the hinge-tool is poor!

LDDT

Edited by LDDtechnician

Do these wheels serve any purpose other than being something complex to have fun with while building? Do they provide superior traction, or enhanced control?

Do these wheels serve any purpose other than being something complex to have fun with while building? Do they provide superior traction, or enhanced control?

If

is any indication, it looks like the wheels/motor setup provides a superb level of control and steering options. It's pretty amazing to watch, too. :laugh:

If

is any indication, it looks like the wheels/motor setup provides a superb level of control and steering options. It's pretty amazing to watch, too. :laugh:

That's pretty cool.