DLuders

Use "Lego Direct" to Buy Lego Technic Parts?

On his Flickr site, Mahjqa (Peer Kreuger) posted the picture below, and wrote that these are "Parts bought from Lego Direct [not "Pick-A-Brick"] -- It cost me a pretty penny, but buying the sets they're in just for the parts would've been even more expensive."

"I don't know if this can be used by people outside of Europe, but you can always call and ask: http://service.lego.com/en-US/Contactus/default.aspx [Change your "Region" at the top-right of that webpage to get the appropriate one for your country]. When calling customer service, just tell them that you want to buy separate parts.

"It's best if you have a list on hand of which parts you need. To get their numbers, check up the inventories in the back of instruction manuals, like these: 8051 Inventory . The code beneath each part holds information on both the part and it's color.

"If you need parts from sets you don't yet have (which is usually the case), you can get the instructions here: http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/BuildingInstructions/default.aspx .

"Be aware that while this is great for new and hard to get parts, it can still be very expensive. The new technic panels go for €0,70 apiece on average. Also, if the part you want hasn't been in production sets for three years, it might not be available."

I remember that at the BrickFest 2009 held in Portland, Oregon, USA, there was a TLG rep that talked about AFOL clubs (Lego User Groups) making mass-orders of parts needed for CLUB creations, but not for individual use. Has anybody else (besides Mahjqa) used the "Lego Direct" service? What do you think? Can anybody post a hyperlink to a website showing how "Lego Direct" really works? Perhaps it's worth a quick telephone call or e-mail to Lego Customer Service to find out....

4956081877_147cafa07e_z.jpg

Edited by DLuders

I did many orders at Lego Direct (30 maybe).

But now, I do not order there anymore. For most of parts, BL prices are much more attractive.

There are some exceptions : if a piece is very rare on BL (for example if it exists in only one model), it will be expensive.

At Lego Direct, the price is the same, whatever the part is rare or not.

But since 2 years, prices have sharply increase at Lego Direct.

I remember that I used to pay 3€ for each pneumatic cylinder. Today, they cost something like 7€.

edit : today, LUG use the BulkLUG. Prices are VERY VERY attractive (you can't even imagine).

But to resort to this BulkLUG, you have to respect very strong conditions. :/

And you have to wait about 5 months to get you parts.

This does not suit to my needs when I'm MOCing.

When I doing a MOC, I do an order (on BL) every week. Or maybe 2 a week.

And I want my parts ASAP.

Edited by Anio

I would like to know more about this too. Has anyone done in it in the US? I have heard of people doing this in Europe but am not sure if it's possible here.

Some specialized parts such as LAs are apparently much cheaper this way than buying them from Lego Education, which is the only other official channel to buy them from.

I remember that at the BrickFest 2009 held in Portland, Oregon, USA, there was a TLG rep that talked about AFOL clubs (Lego User Groups) making mass-orders of parts needed for CLUB creations, but not for individual use.

That is a different program called Lugbulk. I don't think it's related to this.

No Lego direct here, too small country (Slovenia). Wish they had it though, would be great for rare parts!

I know the problem you're facing, in the past I've done some orders at LegoDirect for nicjasno which I send through to Slovenia. (Feel free to contact me if you need parts ;))

Personally I make quite some orders at Lego Direct, especially when new (technic) parts come out I tend to just bulk-order them (at least if they seem to be useful), so I'm sure I have enough of the pieces when I need them. Lately I have just stopped buying sets, with the exception of some models I really like, simply because I would only buy them for parts to MOC with which currently mostly leads to buying more of the pieces I have to much of anyway, and the pieces that are really useful to me aren't in sets in large quantity.

LegoDirect is a perfect solution to this. Of course sometimes prices are quite high, although for newly released parts, prices mostly are even higher on Bricklink, but through LegoDirect you're at least sure you will receive mint pieces, which you can't always know when ordering through Bricklink.

In regards to where LegoDirect is available, basically everywhere, where customer service is available by phone.

I used to always buy parts from Lego direct - problem is there is only a certain number of parts you can buy per phone order, Plus it takes a long time to ship. Bottom line is that when I found Brick Link - I basically stopped ordering Lego direct - unless Bricklink does not have the item I am looking for.

Years ago, I used Lego Direct to order 6 sets of wheels from the 8446 Monster Crane Truck. Back then, the wheels were very cheap. The only downside was that they only accepted checks, so it took a while to get.

However, recently I placed a request for 4 wheels from the 8297 Offroader. They were cheaper than bricklink, and Lego now accepts credit/debit cards for the orders. I haven't gotten around to placing the order yet, but I'll probably do that in the next few days.

Anyways, just my $.02.

Looks like the service is available here after all. I'll need to try it out.

I would not expect the service to be good for large bulk orders of generic parts (Bricklink is the way to go there), but it sounds like a good bet for specialized elements such as pneumatics or LAs. There are many such things that are expensive on Bricklink and not available on PAB.

Yeah, this sounds quite interesting.

Looks like the service is available here after all. I'll need to try it out.

I would not expect the service to be good for large bulk orders of generic parts (Bricklink is the way to go there), but it sounds like a good bet for specialized elements such as pneumatics or LAs. There are many such things that are expensive on Bricklink and not available on PAB.

If you are successful in your purchase here in the U.S. post a comment here and let us know how it went. I might just make a purchase myself....So I am correct to say that first I call Lego Customer Service, then I ask to "order some parts" or should I mention "Lego Direct", and then I proceed to list part ID's.

Years ago, I used Lego Direct to order 6 sets of wheels from the 8446 Monster Crane Truck. Back then, the wheels were very cheap. The only downside was that they only accepted checks, so it took a while to get.

However, recently I placed a request for 4 wheels from the 8297 Offroader. They were cheaper than bricklink, and Lego now accepts credit/debit cards for the orders. I haven't gotten around to placing the order yet, but I'll probably do that in the next few days.

Anyways, just my $.02.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I have been wanting to order the 8297 Offroader for it's steering/suspension components + tires off the web but it is quite expensive. What was the price on the four tires?

I was thinking the same exact thing. I have been wanting to order the 8297 Offroader for it's steering/suspension components + tires off the web but it is quite expensive. What was the price on the four tires?

The wheels (tires and rims) came out to $25.12, which included shipping. I think bricklink was pretty close to that too, but the prices I found on there did not include shipping. I have to re-order the wheels since I didn't respond within 15 days. doh!

I used this link:

http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts/default.aspx

Enter the set you want the parts from, and send in a request. It'll take a few days for them to reply, and once they do reply, they give you 15 days to pay. There is a catch though; LEGO won't let you order a part in quantities more than what was included in the set. So, for example, you can't order 5 wheels from the Offroader set since it only came with 4. Now, I don't see why the customer service rep couldn't just double your order when you call and send you 8, so maybe it is feasible. I'll have to check when I place my order.

I'll resubmit my request for the wheels and see what happens.

Is it also possible to buy small pneumatic cylinder from the education http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=9641-1 set?

I am also highly interested in the light bluish grey panels Mahjqa already bought.

The panels are available on the U.S. LEGO replacement parts page. Look for set 7160 (Drop Ship).

http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts/default.aspx

The pneumatic cylinders weren't on the 9641 parts list. Only the pneumatic valve and T-connector were available. You could still email or call and see if they have it.

Is it also possible to buy small pneumatic cylinder from the education http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=9641-1 set?

I am also highly interested in the light bluish grey panels Mahjqa already bought.

The small pneumatic cylinders are available :) Just give them a call at the customer service. Be warned though, the pneumatic cylinders are pretty expensive! (can't recall the prices, but asked for them before)

In regards to what you can order: Basicly every part in existance, as long as it has been used in a set no older then 3 years and as long as the parts aren't specific to a licenced theme, i.e. star wars figures.

Edited by Dryw Filtiarn

So I just gave it a try and wrote a polite email to them. Thank you guys for all the help and I will keep my fingers crossed for the pneumatic cylinders.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum.

As I saw that someone bought parts directly from Lego, I decided just to give it a try.

The result was that i called the Costumer Service and asked how the whole thing works.

For me it was possible to order a maximum of 15 different parts, 200 of each kind.

You'll need the exact part numbers (can be found in the end of a set's instructions).

But they can also identify the part by telling them the "design-number" which fan-sites as lugnet.com use.

The costs for delivery where 1,80€.

I went on like this:

Just told them the part number, asked if available and to what price.

After that i told if I want to order the part and how often.

As you can imagine such an order will take more time until you'll receive it.

But if you call by phone it should still get along quite fast.

For your information I live in Germany and of course called German Costumer Service

Regards, Chrizzle

@ Chrizzle: Were all of the parts you ordered from Technic sets issued within the past 3 years? What were the Part Numbers for the 15 different parts you ordered from the German Lego Customer Service? If they are willing to supply up to 200 examples of 15 different parts, think of all of the possibilities.... :cry_happy:

So the "15 parts 200 each" is through the phone and the "only parts and quantities from a given set" is through the internet order??? Or is that you are ordering from Germany that has changed the ordering rules???.........I filled out a form on the internet with a quantity of parts of the off roader yesterday and I got an email confirming my order has been received and they will send another one with the bill if I would like to continue with my purchase. Haven't gotten the bill yet but let's hope for the best...P.S. I live in the U.S.A :classic::thumbup:

So the "15 parts 200 each" is through the phone and the "only parts and quantities from a given set" is through the internet order??? Or is that you are ordering from Germany that has changed the ordering rules???.........I filled out a form on the internet with a quantity of parts of the off roader yesterday and I got an email confirming my order has been received and they will send another one with the bill if I would like to continue with my purchase. Haven't gotten the bill yet but let's hope for the best...P.S. I live in the U.S.A :classic::thumbup:

If you order via internet the service should only replace the parts which might be missing in your set, so it's no real "shopping" possibility.

But if you call by telephone you can order "only" this 15 different parts and max. 200times, that's what I was told when I ordered there.

I don't think that there's a difference between German Costumer Service and other countries should be the same everywhere.

@ DLuders:

here's a list with the parts i ordered:

4520872 - turntable used in 8043, 8258, and some other excavator sets

4539880 - "frame" part 7x5 also included in 8258

4540797 - "large frame" 11x5 again appears in 8258

4558692 - completely new part afaik first appeared in 8043 (it's the part for driving the tracks)

4560177 - axle 4L with stop

4540381 - white clutch gear included in 8297 and 8258

4560175 - new kind of pin grey color i saw it first in the race truck set

4558690 - again a part from 8043, it's the gear(grey coloured) driving the two main LA's

4562009 - don't know english expression, it's the steering part (black) like in 8258 for front steering

4540906 - also steering part only shorter included in 8052

soooo that's it ;-)

to my knowledge all of those parts are quite new, but I'm also new to the whole Lego Community and started gathering sets and building only two years ago

with the remote controlled bulldozer ;-), maybe someone knows better how long the parts are already being produced

btw average price was about 1€ per part (but the turntable for example costs already 2,30€ or something)

finally i cant's say if the part numbers differ between the countries but would make no sense for me, so i guess they are the same everywhere!

i hope i could help you!

Well for anybody who happens to be following this post, I followed up on my order for parts from the 8297 Offroader and I was able to purchase quite a significant amount of pieces for a total sum, including shipping, of $55.37 and the pieces will come from Denmark and arrive here in the U.S.A by next weekend. I hope all goes well.:thumbup:

...quite a significant amount of pieces..

Not really. Just under 40 pieces. Well after getting home from school my package arrived in the mail and I am very happy because I was planning on doing my build this weekend. I am unable to post the pictures now but I have them on Brickshelf. Check out my Brickshelf folder which hasn't been updated for a least a year and half, except for these photos, but remember they haven't been checked yet so wait a few days from now and they will be available.:classic::thumbup:

Unfortunately, as I got noticed, I forgot (OOPS...) to order 4 critical pieces... Not much of a problem though because I was going to put in an order for two extra CV joints anyways so I guess I could include there. Besides.. I'll probably use most of this weekend disassembling my previous creation which was magnificent but isn't really the perfect perfect creation. It was nice, don't get me wrong, and I'll probably spend a lot of time capturing it on my camera. Maybe I can make instructions for it but I HIGHLY DOUBT IT considering it is practically three times the size of the 8297 Offroader, ironically thats the set I just bought parts from...:tongue:

If you order via internet the service should only replace the parts which might be missing in your set, so it's no real "shopping" possibility.

But if you call by telephone you can order "only" this 15 different parts and max. 200times, that's what I was told when I ordered there.

I don't think that there's a difference between German Costumer Service and other countries should be the same everywhere.

@ DLuders:

here's a list with the parts i ordered:

4520872 - turntable used in 8043, 8258, and some other excavator sets

4539880 - "frame" part 7x5 also included in 8258

4540797 - "large frame" 11x5 again appears in 8258

4558692 - completely new part afaik first appeared in 8043 (it's the part for driving the tracks)

4560177 - axle 4L with stop

4540381 - white clutch gear included in 8297 and 8258

4560175 - new kind of pin grey color i saw it first in the race truck set

4558690 - again a part from 8043, it's the gear(grey coloured) driving the two main LA's

4562009 - don't know english expression, it's the steering part (black) like in 8258 for front steering

4540906 - also steering part only shorter included in 8052

soooo that's it ;-)

to my knowledge all of those parts are quite new, but I'm also new to the whole Lego Community and started gathering sets and building only two years ago

with the remote controlled bulldozer ;-), maybe someone knows better how long the parts are already being produced

btw average price was about 1€ per part (but the turntable for example costs already 2,30€ or something)

finally i cant's say if the part numbers differ between the countries but would make no sense for me, so i guess they are the same everywhere!

i hope i could help you!

Could you say how much the technic frames you ordered cost @ lego direct, as well as the 4558690 gear?

Edited by S.I

Sorry to bump this old topic, but I just put in a very successful order with "Lego Direct."

How to Order:

In the US, at least, you are supposed to ask for the Replacement Parts department when you call.

As others have mentioned, Lego needs to know the Lego (not Bricklink) part number of the parts you're ordering. Lego also requests that you tell them from which sets the parts originally came. This stipulation is not very important, as they processed my order even though I did not have this information.

The rep I talked to was very friendly and knowledgeable.

What You Pay: Lego did not volunteer a per-part cost breakdown, but my total was $52. Even with zero shipping charges, the 6-month Bricklink average cost is more like $90:

part number desc. qty

4142622 yellow shock absorber 2

4227853 steering gear w/4 ball joint 4

4268659 CV joint 4

4525904 universal joint (new style) 7

4525184 differential (new) style 2

4523398 steering arm 5.5 x 2 8

4538007 axle and pin perpendicular triple 8

4539112 yellow panel 1x5x11 4

4552349 liftarm 3x3 T-shape 6

4552349 liftarm 3x3 T-shape 2

4540797 Technic Liftarm 5x11 frame 3

How Long You Wait: I was told that my parts would arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Bottom Line: Buying through Lego's replacement part service is a great deal for rare parts from recent sets, such as the example above. However, if you need 200 1x5 Technic Axles and 300 Technic pins, Bricklink will likely be cheaper and faster.

Order well! :thumbup:

When I order through Lego Direct, I look up the parts on their website and place the order that way. They send me back an email with the price and reference number, then I just call them up and place the order. Super easy.

A couple days ago, I ordered 4 yellow x-pod lids, and they came to a bit over $8 with shipping. Not bad, especially since nobody on Bricklink had 4 for sale in the US. Several months ago, I ordered 100 black 1x4 racks for a bit over $25 shipped. Nobody on bricklink had 100 black racks in the US either.

I have been very happy with Lego Direct service, and everybody I've talked to has been really nice. :thumbup: