Sign in to follow this  
Nuju Metru

Gothic Chapel MOC

Geez, Aaron, not only do you make an awesome MOC, but you get me to come back on EuroBricks after months of not having done so.

Because even though I've already seen this I couldn't pass up posting here so everyone else knows my feelings, too. =P

So yes, it's awesome. The stain glass is especially awesome. But that's already been said about a hundred times [and rightfully so] by others. I really only have one thing I don't like about this, which has been said before: It's small. Not only in actually being small, but also in terms of thickness -- it seems a little "thin" you could say. I also think that the bell tower could have been changed [if that's even a bell tower?] because right now it almost looks non-cathedral-ish, but rather just a really fancy [and freakin tall] house with those pillar-things on the sides.

But this is a lot better than I could do, that's for sure. Great job again, buddy. I better see more from you, okay?

newso1.png

Well well Andrew, look who decided to show up. XD

Well, the thinness has to do with the architecture of gothic Christian buildings. The gothic architectural style is designed to convey a feel of airiness and lightness, deftness that is belied by the size of the building; its height and its grace are dependent on careful calculations so that it doesn't collapse upon itself. See here; the thickness of the walls (those exterior things are the buttresses) is actually very small. Now, mine isn't a cathedral like that, it's a chapel - so no aisles on the sides. And my buttresses are a bit too narrow. Maybe that's why it looks too thin.

Nonetheless, thank you man, I appreciate the feedback!

-Nuju Metru

Edited by Nuju Metru

Ah, a chapel, well that explains it. For some reason I thought you had said Cathedral, lol.

Ignore that, then. Since it's a chapel the size is fine. But if yo make a cathedral I expect something like this. =P

newso1.png

Ah, a chapel, well that explains it. For some reason I thought you had said Cathedral, lol.

Ignore that, then. Since it's a chapel the size is fine. But if yo make a cathedral I expect something like this. =P

newso1.png

If only, if only I had the pieces...

-Nuju Metru

Great work :thumbup:

This is a beautiful little chapel with loads of attention to detail! Of course the colourful windows draws most attention, but there are so many great things apart from them. I will have to borrow the cheese technique for my (bland) cathedral!

Awesome MOC Nuju Metru, simply awesome. Ordering those 300 plus trans cheese slopes really paid off, the stained windows are gorgeous, and I love how they're so long and narrow, just like a real cathedral. Top stuff!!

Beautiful stain glass work! Love the exterior and interior but would've definitely loved to have scene you interior details...altar, pews, etc. Forgive if it was mentioned before...maybe you're going the way of micro-scale figures?

This is a sweet MOC. I love it if someone carries the architectual beauty of gothic churches over into Lego anyway but yours is outstanding. A frontpaging well deserved :)

Great work :thumbup:

This is a beautiful little chapel with loads of attention to detail! Of course the colourful windows draws most attention, but there are so many great things apart from them. I will have to borrow the cheese technique for my (bland) cathedral!

Glad my ideas were helpful. :classic::)

Awesome MOC Nuju Metru, simply awesome. Ordering those 300 plus trans cheese slopes really paid off, the stained windows are gorgeous, and I love how they're so long and narrow, just like a real cathedral. Top stuff!!

Mhm, I didn't want to make them too broad - both for parts conservation as well as the design element.

AWESOME chapel 'Nuju Metru' and that stainglass design is just fantastic ! :wub:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I definitely plan to - dunno if I'll make something this good again, but I can try!

Amazing creation! I like the "old" (improved) Harry Potter feeling it has. But... where is the door?

Underneath the rose window, there are two sets of doors. However, they don't open... nor did I build stairs going up to them. Ah well.

Beautiful stain glass work! Love the exterior and interior but would've definitely loved to have scene you interior details...altar, pews, etc. Forgive if it was mentioned before...maybe you're going the way of micro-scale figures?

Well, it definitely is a micro-scaled building, so similarly-proportioned figures might be good.

Thanks all for your comments! :sweet:

-Nuju Metru

You were right, the stained glass is a really cool technique.

I love how it opens up all the way to show the inner detail as well.

Oh but this is very nice! :wub:

Those stained glass windows are truely epic, but are they secure?

I love the modularity of the building, it always adds an extra challenge during building, which I really like.

Now it's time for an exceptional landscape surrounding the chapel right? :laugh: At least that would make it totally epic. :wink:

Lovely! Upon first glance I could not tell why you sub-titled it "stunning stained-glass" however once I saw the first image of it, open in all it's shiny glory, I was stunned. The exterior does not match the majesty of the sparkling interior, yet it is not nearly bad. The detail on the inside is incredible. Good work!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

This is lovely! But how did you make the stained glass window pieces click? It looks like there just hanging there, may you explain it? :sceptic:

All of the stained glass parts are held in by pressure. The windows themselves are held together by the inward-pushing forces all around that are supplied by a frame - said frames slide into slots in the build of the wall. To piece them together is somewhat tricky, therefore, but obviously worth the time.

Oh but this is very nice! :wub:

Those stained glass windows are truely epic, but are they secure?

I love the modularity of the building, it always adds an extra challenge during building, which I really like.

Now it's time for an exceptional landscape surrounding the chapel right? :laugh: At least that would make it totally epic. :wink:

Too bad - nature stuff isn't my forte. :tongue:

Lovely! Upon first glance I could not tell why you sub-titled it "stunning stained-glass" however once I saw the first image of it, open in all it's shiny glory, I was stunned. The exterior does not match the majesty of the sparkling interior, yet it is not nearly bad. The detail on the inside is incredible. Good work!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Weird. I kinda felt the other way when I built it... maybe the stained glass lost its effect after a time.

Thanks for your commentary, everyone!

-Nuju Metru

The stained glass windows are brilliant, I'd really like to see some photos taken outdoors with the sun shining through them!

That stainglass design is just fantastic; if only you could make it for minifig scale building, it will be nice :classic:

I know a lot of people have already said it, but let me add my praise for your stained glass. I'm really impressed!

C'est Magnifique...

My first post (even though I registered 2 years ago!)...

As someone who has seen Ste. Chappelle several times, I immediately recognized the inspiration of this wonderful model. You captured the exterior of the model very well... and your inside is a unique use of trans colored parts to do what is actually impossible... to capture the walls of medieval glass that King (St.) Louis IX of France had installed to house Christ's supposed "crown of thorns" reliquary.

When one sees the corrosive nature of time, the fact that Ste. Chappelle exists at all (especially after the French Revolution) is a miracle...

But I must say... Job well done!

Gary Istok

Wonderful creation! Gosh, you sure chose a difficult subject to build, given yr part restriction. I love the fact that you've put in a crypt as well, although i would have tried to indicate where ground level was on the outside of the building - as it is it is a little confusing. I was wondering where you put the main doors until i saw them halfway up the wall! :laugh: The scale of the doors give me a bit of a jolt as well, on casual viewing it seemed to be minifig scale, then when i looked closer i realised that no, the structure is meant to be much bigger than that.

The only other thing i would do is use something other than grey grilles between the windows in the interior, it just doesn't look quite right to me. :sceptic:

Anyway, it looks beautiful and you've done exceedingly well with the subject! The opened out view is my favourite - all that lovely stained glass. :classic:

That a nice piece of work! The glass windows are amazing. But I feel there's missing something: altar, a good big entrance etc.

Good work! :thumbup:

Had no idea this was still getting replies... :P

C'est Magnifique...

My first post (even though I registered 2 years ago!)...

As someone who has seen Ste. Chappelle several times, I immediately recognized the inspiration of this wonderful model. You captured the exterior of the model very well... and your inside is a unique use of trans colored parts to do what is actually impossible... to capture the walls of medieval glass that King (St.) Louis IX of France had installed to house Christ's supposed "crown of thorns" reliquary.

When one sees the corrosive nature of time, the fact that Ste. Chappelle exists at all (especially after the French Revolution) is a miracle...

But I must say... Job well done!

Gary Istok

Thanks! It's good to know that the exterior of my chapel echoes that of Sainte Chapelle - it is after all what I was going for. And yes, I agree on that historical opinion... the ability of beautiful things to endure is incredible.

Wonderful creation! Gosh, you sure chose a difficult subject to build, given yr part restriction. I love the fact that you've put in a crypt as well, although i would have tried to indicate where ground level was on the outside of the building - as it is it is a little confusing. I was wondering where you put the main doors until i saw them halfway up the wall! :laugh: The scale of the doors give me a bit of a jolt as well, on casual viewing it seemed to be minifig scale, then when i looked closer i realised that no, the structure is meant to be much bigger than that.

The only other thing i would do is use something other than grey grilles between the windows in the interior, it just doesn't look quite right to me. :sceptic:

Anyway, it looks beautiful and you've done exceedingly well with the subject! The opened out view is my favourite - all that lovely stained glass. :classic:

Mhm, I really wanted to make clearer that the lower part of the building was actually its foundations, but I couldn't think of a good way to do that - hence the doors half way up the wall, heh.

Grey grilles are plentiful in my boxes. I had to put them all somewhere. :tongue:

-Nuju Metru