Sign in to follow this  
Ogre

Historical theme wishlist

After seeing the totally sweet Spartan in series two and the upcoming AWESOME sunken temple in 'Atlantis' (not to mention the sweeeeet Egyptian theme), it got me thinking about what I'd really like to see LEGO sink their teeth into: GLADIATORS!

Arenas, chariots, DOZENS of different types of gladiators, citizens, senators...it could be only seriously awesome theme.

Whatcha think?

That would be epic and the theme would catch on quick.

you could have Rome as the main theme. Then do Gladiators, Rome v Greek cities, and Rome v the galic tribes as sub themes.

I have wished this theme would be created forever or at least ever since I have been interested in Lego.

Great Idea

Romans... If that would ever happen I'd consider selling my whole Star wars Collection and buy as much as I can...

Romans... If that would ever happen I'd consider selling my whole Star wars Collection and buy as much as I can...

I hear ya! I was kinda thinking the same thing. LOL My 'city' takes up more space but, I'm more emotionally attached to it than to my Star Wars collection, I think.

That's a great and very interesting topic, Ogre! :classic:

For "historic" themes (like this year's Kingdoms theme) (and with the expression "historical" I mean not including any fantasy creatures or too much "useless" action stuff) I'd like to see:

(from top - down: most important - not that important)

Western

Romans

Egypts

Arabian Knights

Aztecs

Mexicans

Indians

Stone Age (Older and/or Newer Stone Age)

Vikings

Let's hope that in 2012 we'll again get a nice and accurate "historical" theme like this year's Kingdoms theme!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

For "historic" themes (like this year's Kingdoms theme) (and with the expression "historical" I mean not including any fantasy creatures or too much "useless" action stuff) I'd like to see:

Western

Romans

Egypts

Arabian Knights

Aztecs

Mexicans

Indians

Vikings

Let's hope that in 2012 we'll again get a nice and accurate "historical" theme like this year's Kingdoms theme!

Klaus-Dieter

I would definitely like to see a return of the 'wild west' theme! I think that was killed-off WAY too soon. Sooo much more could have been done, IMO.

I mostly like ancient, and medieval ages. Not interested in any themes taking place after that though. Well not yet so far.

Ok, I am pretty sure this will never happen, but it is a wishlist, and I can dream can I? :laugh:

But I would like a WW1 theme. With tanks and trenches and all that good stuff. But I agree with Klaus-Dieter, they need to bring back the Wild West theme. I was only a child when it came out but I have a lot of the sets still built to this day (granted with wrong colors, but yeah). I would like Greeks and Romans as well, but I dont really want another Viking theme. I feel that there wasnt much more they could do with that, unless it was a more civilian thing like a Viking Village.

I would love to see an egyptian theme like what Playmobil did and I would really like to see an aztec them. I mean having the temples and fortresses and stuff would be really cool.

I know that the ancients theme for Playmobil has been a big seller so, I don't see why Lego couldn't do something similar. :classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

I'm digging the Pharaoh's Quest line that's coming next year. Looks pretty cool.

I'd also like to see some WWI and WWII sets but, based on LEGO's philosophy, it ain't gonna happen. :sceptic:

I agree that they probably can't do much more with a Viking theme but, I would have preferred it to be more historically accurate, instead of 'fantasy' Vikings.

Roman would be COOL, but to be a realist.....WESTERN....especially gold mining etc., good old guys vs. bad ones - dam claim jumpers ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I think there are high hopes for the return of a western theme; just look at the collectible minifigs!

True, they don't indicate what sets will be released, but they are supposed to be an indication of what Lego thinks is a good part of popular culture. Just the fact that they have made 4 of the 32 that have come out so far as western minifigures, proves to me that the theme is still a very good possibility for the Lego Group.

Having said that I really hope Lego continues the Kingdoms theme with more new sets and new factions; it was the first theme that compelled me to actually build an army, and I would hate to see it discontinued after just one year; I guess no new sets planed for 2011 so far... :tongue:

As far as an ideal historic theme, I would love to see this new adventures theme from 2011 take on a few more regions of the world; notably Greece. :wub: They could call it "Zeus's Quest" and have a whole bunch of temples, hoplites and mythical creatures. Mythology, unlike fantasy, I feel is a lot more historic. I mean, when we think of Ancient Greece we think of Homer's rendition, and not so much the true-to-form history. I feel a Roman theme would have to be historic, but the Greek would just be dull without the mythology.

Lastly, I would really be amazed and pleasantly surprised if Lego released a theme like Kingdoms but several hundred years in the future, (either colonial or Napoleonic time) They could call it "Empires" and have a whole bunch of generic nations and men in uniform in a late 18th century getup, with muskets. Knowing Lego like I do, it probably won't happen, but one can dream! :wink:

As far as an ideal historic theme, I would love to see this new adventures theme from 2011 take on a few more regions of the world; notably Greece. :wub: They could call it "Zeus's Quest" and have a whole bunch of temples, hoplites and mythical creatures. Mythology, unlike fantasy, I feel is a lot more historic. I mean, when we think of Ancient Greece we think of Homer's rendition, and not so much the true-to-form history. I feel a Roman theme would have to be historic, but the Greek would just be dull without the mythology.

Lastly, I would really be amazed and pleasantly surprised if Lego released a theme like Kingdoms but several hundred years in the future, (either colonial or Napoleonic time) They could call it "Empires" and have a whole bunch of generic nations and men in uniform in a late 18th century getup, with muskets. Knowing Lego like I do, it probably won't happen, but one can dream! :wink:

I really like those ideas. Hopefully LEGO is paying attention and likes them, too. :classic:

Western

Romans

Egypts

Arabian Knights

Aztecs

Mexicans

Indians

Vikings

Klaus-Dieter

A return of Western is better than 80% of other themes LEGO has released, just not my cup of tea. Probably not exotic enough for me.

My top are:

Ancient India

Ancient China

Ancient Greece

Ancient Egypt

Ancient Rome

Ancient Babylon

Others Ancient historical civilizations that LEGO could make a go of AND I'd be interested in buying are: Persians, Incas, Mayan, Aztec, Japan, Cambodia, Zulu, Israel, Mongolian, Assyrian, Tibet, Phoenicians, and Hittites.

We'll see in 2012 if TLG thinks as I do and comes out with either a Greek theme...in time for the 2012 Olympics or a Mayan theme...in time for the 2012 Mayan calender hype. :thumbup:

Please let weastern come back, my fort legoardo is soo lonly as i have none of the other sets from that theme.

plus the 6 man army of blue cowboys is always out numbered by my masses of knights and pirates

I'd really much like the japan theme come back, but this time with a mixture of both military and civilian sets, like a Shogun's palace or a village for example. Would be great, since we get some pretty useful collectible figs for the Edo-age, like the Ninja in 1, the Samurai and the Sumo in 3 and the Geisha in series 4. I liked the old line very much, but I don't have many sets from this line. And, like I said, some non-military sets would be quite nice. :classic:

Of course a Roman theme would be great as well, especially with Germanics, Carthaginians, Gauls, Britons and so on.

Also great would be a imperialism-related theme, including Indian, Chinese and African landscapes and French, British, American, Russian, German and Japanese troops and Sepoys, Boxers, African tribes and Boers. Although this would never happen :laugh:

And a new WW theme was great. Boy, I love historical Lego. :classic:

Edited by Peanuts

For years - even decades - I have had a big wish for an Egyptian theme. I know there there is a second theme now containing Egyptian inspired elements, but to someone who has a big interest in egyptology, unfortunately it seems a little... silly. I don't ask for an exact copy of Egypt, but with a little more accurancy to how it actually looked like, and please, no living mummies (it's not a horrormovie). If you look at e.g. pirates or castle, it's seems more accurate.

Models could include pyramids, a sphinx, temples, fortresses, palaces, villages. If the combined with a Greek or Roman theme, the lighthouse at Pharos or library of Alexandria could be a model.

Those were the words of my very first reply on this interesting forum :classic:

I think TLC should realise how much people love the historical minifigs from the Collectable minifigs series, first of all the Spartan, but also Elf (I know..), Muskateer, Samurai, Pharaoh. I guess the Gladiator and the Royal Guard will also get much attention.

I really think that a Roman theme has lots of potential, and kids would love it. Playmobil was pretty successfull with their Roman/Egypt theme, and TLC should look beyond the same old good vs bad scheme - they should give us quality playsets like PoP with Romans. That would be absolutely beautiful. I would see myself sink a lot of money into this, and I wouldn't be alone. They shouldn't give up just cause PoP was not selling well. Romans have much more potential than a strange video game movie. Imagination, that is! They know they sell the imagination, not the licence. (or they better should..)

Just my 2 cent.

i'd love a more modern theme, maybe WWII or some kind of modern warfare thing, but due to TLC's aversion to tanks or really any combat based on the real world that doesn't include swords this will obviously never happen.

greece has a ton of potential. the battle of troy, the 300 spartans, mythology. there could be zeus, achilles, ulysses, etc.

i would really get into a theme like that if done well.

ancient middle america has potential too. kind of a revisit of the islanders but with more correct aztec, maya, and inca architecture. it could include spanish explorers too.

some european stuff like the battle of agincourt, the wars of the roses, napoleonic wars, etc.

and finally renaissance. some nice florentine and roman renaissance possibilities, you could have da vinci, michalangelo, and machiavelli minfigs!

or if tlc insists on licensing everything then they could go for assassin's creed. that would have some good opportunity for renaissance and crusade settings with some really nice minifigs.

yeah none of that will ever happen. :cry_sad:

Edited by Rhodes81

Ancient India

Ancient China

Japan

I want to echo these three from AncientCiv's list. I would love to see some sets themed around these areas. Some wonderful subjects with rich ideas for Lego to use. :sweet: