• It's OK
    • Not Very Good
    • Awful!
  2. 2. Will you buy this set?

• Absolutely!
    • Maybe
    • Not a Chance!

Hey Guys,

It seems that the Harry Potter sets are pouring over the Netherlands already. I just bought Hagrid's Hut. A perfect set to become my first review.

Before I start, two disclaimers: this is my first Harry Potter set (ever) as I was in my dark ages when the former line was out there. Second, I mainly bought the hut to mod it and insert it in my medieval village. Hence I am mostly parts oriented and not so much about the Harry Potterness of the building.

Let me start with the cast:

img_0262.jpg

We have Aragog, Hagrid, Ron, Hermoine en Harry along with Scabbers and a couple of spider youngsters. The two owls aren't included in the pic, they'll feature in and on the hut later on.

Just the figs:

img_0263.jpg

All but Hagrid have back printing:

img_0264.jpg

All in all this is not bad. Surely, you only get four minifigs, which is rather little given its price. Ron in this form is exclusive to this set (though he is easily assembled by using parts of the other Ron in the Hogwarts Express and the uniform piece). Hagrid is really 'exclusive' if you only look at this year's sets. The added value probably lies in the high amount of animals (rat, three spiders, two owls and dragon whelp).

I like Ron's face, and the hairpiece of the surfer dude is also great.

img_0267.jpg

As requested, here's a picture of Hagrid's face. To my knowledge the face is new and the torso is somewhat new as well. He's clearly a nice chap:

img_0266.jpg

Now about the hut itself. The good thing is that the interior is extremely well built and very very detailed. Every corner of the hut is stuffed with all kinds of extras and details. To mention just a few: there's an axe, a fish drying on the ceiling, a plate and glass, a plant, a letter, a hidden gem, and a baby dragon. Lastly, the light brick used to simulate the cozy fireplace is really a plus. In sum: the interior just looks great and finished. I won't have to do much modding there. :thumbup:

Here you can see the dragon Whelp, the fish, the fireplace with the cauldron and some spices. I also like how the entrance includes the PoP colour. The steps are also nice. As I will show later on, from the outside it looks a bit less impressive.

img_0255.jpg

Now the fireplace has a light brick included. When I first noticed this on the box I was pleasantly surprised. It has the desired effect:

img_0257.jpg

The other side of the house is even better. On the picture below you can also take a look at the grey owl. I like the subtle details like the axe and the tea cup.

img_0258.jpg

Removing the upper side of the 'chair' exposes another compartment. It also shows the plant and a (sticker) painting on the wall. There is also a hidden gem and a letter...

img_0259.jpg

The bad thing is the exterior. The walls look kind of bland, and although TLG included some stickers to spice it up a little, I feel the overall look is still very concrete-like. :hmpf_bad: Probably the stickers of the current Kingdoms line would look better, and even this would be second best as a just little more colour variation in the bricks would greatly improve the exterior.

img_0248.jpg

Here's the exterior folded open:

img_0249.jpg

I like the window, but nevertheless this is a particularly bland part on the side:

img_0250.jpg

The second reason why the exterior looks bad is the roof. It is half green and half bley. I actually dislike both colours, but especially the bley makes the roof and thereby the whole building look rather dull. This is definitely something I will MOD.

From the outside the PoP colours look a bit odd, though the steps and the arch do look good. On this picture you can also get a good look at the great brown owl. :wub:

img_0254.jpg

Lastly, as already mentioned before, I like the parts selection in this set. There are also plenty of extras:

img_0268.jpg

Some other points:

The mushrooms look just fantastic! The printed 'radar' tiles really do the job and give the result very much a Lego feel. :thumbup:

The picture does not really do them justice, but nevertheless:

img_0253.jpg

The new owls versus the old owls: In this set you get a brown and a grey owl. They are absolutely wonderful! The printing is simply superb. The mould is also different than the old one: it is more blocky and less detailed (e.g. the old ones had more feathers), but the printing and the more blocky shape actually make the new owls more lego-like and at the same time more detailed (I have an old white owl, and to be honest, the detailed shape just was hardly noticeable) :wub:

In real life, Aragog is little better than on pictures, as the printed tiles really look nice. However, the 'head' is still too much cramped onto the body. Overall, this is still a rather ugly version of Aragog. Moreover, most of the pieces used to build him are useless for moccing. :sceptic:

Still not okay (look at his forehead :hmpf: ):

img_0261.jpg

My Ratings:

Pieces: 9,5/10 - The set has excellent pieces, such as two owls, two mushrooms, three pumpkins, a light-brick, lots of nice brown pieces, some PoP-coloured and some tan pieces.

Minifigures: 7/10 - Four minifigs is rather little for a set of this price. Only Hagrid is exclusive, but he featured plenty of times in previous years. This set is definitively not a minifigs set.

Build: 8/10 – Nothing spectacular, but given the variety in the two parts of the hut it was certainly not boring and I was amazed with all the details that kept popping up along the building process.

Price: 7,5/10 – I paid 45.35 euros, which is fairly expensive. But it’s Harry Potter, so that is to be expected.

Final product: 8/10 – I’m really in love with the interior and the mushrooms, the pumpkins and the owls. It needs some modding, but it’s a bit like the Kingdoms Black Tower: it does not feel finished, but somehow I love it.

Would I recommend this set?

The set is fairly expensive and does not feel finished, but nevertheless I would say yes. Overall it is certainly good. It is the cheapest set for the owls, which is an advantage, and the interior is excellent. The set includes a good amount of rare and useful pieces and well... the mushrooms and the owls are just great!

Best,

K.

Bonus: this is what happens if you mess with the best sorcerer of her age...

Edited by KristofBD
Fixed title/poll

Thanks for the review! This set's interior is much better than I thought it would be. Overall, this looks like a really cool set. Also, can you please give us a close up of Hagrid's face? It looks like it could be a useful face.

Thanks for the review! This set's interior is much better than I thought it would be. Overall, this looks like a really cool set. Also, can you please give us a close up of Hagrid's face? It looks like it could be a useful face.

Yep it is a nice face. I added a picture in the review.

Best, K.

Thank you for the great review! :wub:

I have the old set from 2004, but I think this one looks too good to pass up. The updated figures look great, especially Hagrid in dark brown and Ron with the skater hair.

The interior looks nice with a lot of little knick knacks, however, the one window does look really weird with the gray frame and gold shutters. :wacko: I will definitely switch it out with a brown piece.

Again, thanks for the review! Now I really want to see a review of the Burrow... :wub:

-Derek

Nice review! I wonder if Hagrid would actually look like that if he shaved :laugh:

As for the set, the interior is awesome, but the exterior could use some work, save the pumpkins and shrooms. Aragog is alright, but as you said, the forehead is too big!

FINALLY!!!! some harry potter reviews!!!! :cry_happy:

This looks like a pretty decent set. Im loving the the degree of detial lego are going to nowadays. :thumbup:

just waiting for someone to reveiw that dang train now!

thanks for the reveiw.

harold.

Good review! I really like Ron's figure. His new face and his new head are both brilliant. I'll get this set at some point, maybe near the end of October, as I first need to buy the big castle!

Thanks for the review. I have been looking forward to this set as I really like the features.

I think the minifigures are great and are must haves. The interior objects are good as well. :classic:

Thanks for the review! I was hoping they would have professor slughorn but I guess not...I surprised LEGO added a lightbrick and the details inside

Thanks for the detailed review KristofBD, lots to like about this set, particularly from my point of view, as I don't own any HP sets. Thanks for taking the time to review this beauty :wub:

I was hoping they would have professor slughorn.

TLG has gone for a broader set appeal I guess, as Slughorn was only in Hagrid's Hut once, as opposed to Harry and crew who are in the hut pretty much every movie.

Thanks for all the nice comments! Actually during the writing of the review I fell more and more in love with the set.

Now I've been modding the hut a bit. I wanted to give the roof the patchy feel as if Hagrid built the hut himself with leftover wood. I decided to keep one of the green bricks just for fun. :tongue: This is the result:

img_0271.jpg

Aragog can also easily be improved by adding to bricks in order to extend the 'head' (I used a simple 2x1 piece and a short 2x2 roof-piece):

img_0272.jpg

In any case, all of this just to let show that this is the kind of set that actually inspires you to work with it. For Castle-lovers like myself it is definitively a useful addition that can feature in any medieval village with just a few modifications.

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Best,

Kristof

Thanks 'KristofBD' for this review :thumbup: , this set is the one my son wants the most this year, but even though I voted GREAT I do agree that the giant spider's head is pretty bad - sorry Lego but you stuffed up....aw well nobody's perfect ! :wink:

The Ron's new head is excellent as to Hagrids, the hut is a great little playset....hence my son will love it.....so Vader and Clutch can come in Hagrid's for a pint or three ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

thanks for reviewing this set!

however, it's clear it could be the weakest set of this new Harry Potter wave... little details in interior/exterior design have always been a flag for the hp sets, and this set have them, specially the mushrooms... but the design just leaks, it doesn't feel as integrated as the first and second Hagrid's Hut (yes, the roof-paper one is far more accurate than this one), being the one from the Prisoner of Azkaban wave the best of the three of them :classic: .

Again, thanks for reviewing this set, but TLC: no thanks :thumbdown: .

p.s. kind of like the new hagrid minifig, anyway, I won't buy this, and what the heck with aragog?! o.O

Great review KristofBD. I completely agree with your point about the exterior, it looks like concrete, not very friendly or hut-like. Still, there are some stunning pieces, and I love the new owl. Fingers crossed that the Australian price isn't too unreasonable...

Lovely review, LEGO did a great job with the new HP faces, especially Hermione and Ron. I do agree with you on the price 45 EUR for this set seems to be a bit out of my budget.

Thanks for the review!

The interior is certainly the best part of this set to me and the new minifgures/owls are lovely. I agree about Aragog, not good at all. The price is too high for me though so I probably won't be getting this anyway.

Very nice review, thanks for sharing KristofBD! I love the small details of this set - the light bricked-fireplace, the owls, and even the printed mushrooms. :thumbup: