Jaroslaw

Duplo and Lego tracks compatible

We have quite a bit of Duplo track, and thinking about whether it's worth to invest in more of it (it's cheap) because eventually (kids are two and three years old) we will upgrade to the Lego sets. I know that the connection points do not match, but is the gauge the same? Any suggestions?

I have never seen anyone using Duplo tracks in a System layout. You will surely have problems mixing System and Duplo tracks.

If you make a Duplo track it might be possible to construct a System train powered by Power Functions, that will run on these tracks. But it will probably take a good nights thinking and some trials before it will work.

Every now and then, this and other Duplo-capatibility questions arise. While I think this would be difficult, I could see why you might want to use some of your Duplo track stockpile. Personally, I don't think it would look very good as the Duplo track (from an image in my head) seems much too large for the standard LEGO-scale trains.

We have quite a bit of Duplo track, and thinking about whether it's worth to invest in more of it (it's cheap) because eventually (kids are two and three years old) we will upgrade to the Lego sets. I know that the connection points do not match, but is the gauge the same? Any suggestions?

I think the gauge is not the same.

They are (sort of). I was able to make dual gauge track by placing a old gray 4.5v rail on the side of a 9v track to make a dual gauge of 4 studs and 5 studs. Flanged duplo wheels are able to run on the 5stud. I don't think curves are possible.There might be a way of reverse( dual gauge with duplo on the bottom). I haven't tried that (yet).

Edited by Unitron6991

They are (sort of). I was able to make dual gauge track by placing a old gray 4.5v rail on the side of a 9v track to make a dual gauge of 4 studs and 5 studs. Flanged duplo wheels are able to run on the 5stud. I don't think curves are possible.There might be a way of reverse( dual gauge with duplo on the bottom). I haven't tried that (yet).

I found that the gauge is different. Surprisingly, Duplo is narrower! It's about 3cm across, and Lego is 3.78cm. Mixed gauge track would seem quite neat, as I've seen some set-ups like this in real life (going from Poland to the Ukraine's wider gauge).

There are also trains between Portugal and Spain that adjust to the gauge difference between the two countries by having adjustable wheel spans. That might be viable with some Technics engineering too!

In any case, it turns out that Lego track is twice as expensive on amazon as on the Lego website. Amazing.