Sign in to follow this  
Duke

HMS Puffin

now this ship looks very fine, the only thing missing is the headrails.. but even like this it's beautiful

She is a beautiful Ship! But im not quite sure of this ships origin. Is it redcoat or is it bluecoat? *huh*

i've often seen this bluecoats Vs redcoats battle... and other times french against english. is it something like french are bluecoats and english redcoats? (just 'cause i'm choosing the final flag for my ship)

i've often seen this bluecoats Vs redcoats battle... and other times french against english. is it something like french are bluecoats and english redcoats? (just 'cause i'm choosing the final flag for my ship)

This ship is british and has blackcoats on it, but you're correct, usually Redcoats are English and Bluecoats are French.

But it's whatever you like. There are also people who put Bluecoats on british ships.

As the kind Admiral Croissant has pointed out, not everything fits into redcoats or bluecoats :pir-classic:

This ship fits into my imagined Cornish faction as a part of the British Empire around 1800. This is represented in the ensign and black uniforms.

Thanks for the further comments, i'll definitely have a go at some headrails in the next couple of days. Any suggestion of what might be the best colour for them?

Good updates!

The curve in the middle of the ship looks much better now and I like the red up front as well. Still love the figure head and I like the black flag in the back as well.

Some other thoughts if I may:

Head rails (in red?)- there are several cool techniques I have seen for those that might be worth trying out and maybe some fancier railings on the deck would be an improvement-

I wonder if making the black tiling that runs from the bow to the stern in the middle red might look really sharp.

Lastly, I wonder if a more decorative, big arching curved brick along the stairs on the stern down to the middle would make the transition along the stairs, from the poop deck down to the midsection look better. Do you have any of this piece in red? 6060.gif I would try that piece where you have the smaller curved red brick and round brick by the stairs. I think that might look really sharp and smooth the transition back there.

The ship is looking better with every improvement!

Ok, another update. I've added headrails in red and changed the tiling to be red all over. I had had it like this in some earlier stage of the build and changed my mind but actually I think it is an improvement.

dsc01084.jpg

dsc01085.jpg

dsc01086.jpg

@ZCerberus, I unfortunately don't have any of those pieces, though I did see you used them in your earlier construction of the Phantom Mk II and thought they looked good. I'll put them on my bricklink wanted list and try and pick a couple up next time I order something.

ohhh....

I do like the red tiles. It ties together nicely.

As for the headrails... I am wondering if the rail is a little low... either way you now need another headrail that is a little higher than the first with the pair connected. That would look really sharp.

This ship is looking better all the time!

I agree with Zcerberus, the headrails are a bit low. Placing the ends just below the bird figurehead would make the headrails splendid! A second headrail like Zcerberus said would also really stand out.

I really like to see how this ship is progressing. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Right! Finally got around to photographing the redone headrails. I've also added some more crew and a ships boat on the centre of the deck.

dsc01088.jpg

dsc01091.jpg

dsc01093.jpg

Can I call her finished yet? :pir-classic:

Edited by Duke

Can I can her finished yet? :pir-classic:

You can, but you can still improve it a tiny bit. Usually the bow of the 'lifeboat' is in the same direction of the bow of the ship.

The headrails are almost perfect, but you can also try to make it more like this and see how it looks:

headrails.jpg

Good luck!

Some more good improvements. I like how it is coming along.

The Admiral makes a good suggestion to add some cross beam type supports to connect the upper and lower headrails. Don't let his name fool you, he knows his ships as well as his baked delights.

Fear the MIGHTY Puffin!

Edited by ZCerberus

Great ship, cool crew, though you should really add rigging, try doing what I do and use pre-made lego official rigging, or just use a load of plastic ladder parts.

Once again, great ship!!!

Edited by Mesjax

duke you have done a good job on this and i was hoping you could help me make a similar sip for my flagship for the time being :pir_laugh2: is that ok?

I'm glad you like the ship. I'd be happy to give you some comments on your ship building if you make a progress thread for a similar ship. I used the technique which is in Captain Green(Blue) Hair's tutorial so I would recommend starting with that as a basis. There are certainly better ship builders out there than me :pir-classic:

Since this has been bumped, I should say that I have bought a couple more midsections in redbrown so as to be able to make a longer ship. After I complete my current land based MOC I might think about starting again with a bigger ship.