Diaaabo

TIE Interceptor

gallery_101_23_281.gif

60342_10150091222718332_771478331_7299968_2183819_n.jpg

After some months without MOCing, here is the first of several projects I am working on; and my first MOC here on EB. Built with parts from 8017 and 8014, based off Wookieepedia, it's only 99% ready. I still have to get different plates for the wings, improve the back of the ship and add some more details.

61118_10150091222753332_771478331_7299969_2235951_n.jpg

Side view with the greebbled wing

61118_10150091222763332_771478331_7299971_6893713_n.jpg

Back view, those dark red tiles will be substituted when I have the right parts to finish it.

61118_10150091222758332_771478331_7299970_1468715_n.jpg

From above: those light bley slopes on the wing connection will be substituted by dark bley; the top of the cockpit will also be modified and more detailed.

And here is the real one:

800px-Tieinter2.jpg

C&C welcomed :)

Edited by KimT

Looking forward to seeing the final version! The only thing that's a major gripe would be the shape of the wings, but I know you plan to change that. The rest of the ship isn't quite as streamlined as I'd like to see, but the design fits in well with the official TIE x1.

Built with parts from 8017 and 8014, based off Wookieepedia, it's only 99% ready.
:classic:

Right now I'm away in my hometown with just a few sets; most of my parts are 120kms away and I can only get to them in October when my classes begin. Then I will finish the model and start my other projects.

The main cockpit area is really good, just the wing desgin is throwing me off. I have an idea on how you could do it, but it would be hard to describe, if I were to build a wing I'll take a pic and show you what I mean

The main cockpit area is really good, just the wing desgin is throwing me off. I have an idea on how you could do it, but it would be hard to describe, if I were to build a wing I'll take a pic and show you what I mean

What do you have in mind? I was thinking of using those big wedge plates like in the official set, with light bley tiles. I'm also probably getting the wing connection design using SNOTed 2x2 round bricks, plus doing the inside of the wings with light bley details.

Not bad Tie you have there 'Diaaabo', I do agree with 'Brickdoctor' the wings towards the front are not right, unless you are going to make this your own Tie creation.

Good work and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Looks great! A really very good MOC for your first one here in EB, Diaaabo. :thumbup: Except for the wings, your MOC resembles the real TIE Interceptor very well. Can't wait for the final version with the fixed wing plates.

Fantastic WIP Diaabo - though I have to admit I wouldn't say it's quite 99% complete.

My major gripe is the fact that you're using these to attach the wings. Personally I don't think this piece very much suits a TIE at all. Look at the connection on the actual studio model. (I know I used the same piece on my own TIE Interceptor, but that was only because I was low on parts.) A better alternative would be to simply attach some 2x2 round bricks to the cockpit with SNOT (running a technic axle through for stability, of course) and attaching plates directly to those. Of course, using this, you would have to rework the connection between the arms and the ball cockpit - I can't help but think these are too thick for the TIE Interceptor - after all, remember that the Interceptor's design resembles the original TIE more closely than any of its film variants.

Which reminds me - the method for mounting the angled panels shouldn't be limited to these. I suggest doing something like this. The panels are connected via this piece. This would also reduce the HUGE gaps in the wings.

There should be guns on the wings - and the raised segments on either side of the guns are oriented in the other direction.

To avoid a blocky cockpit, dump the TIE windshield piece (there's too much transparency anyway - unless you plan to paint the piece) and use this piece as the windshield, and SNOT it around that. Something similar to this technique could work.

A TIE Interceptor, like the TIE fighter, has only two ion engines, as well as a hexagonal rear viewport. (It is not, as LEGO appears to think, the main booster.)

I hope that my suggestions and all the reference pictures I linked to were helpful. Keep at it Diaabo and your TIE interceptor could be the best one on these forums.