Sign in to follow this  
blueandwhite

Its the Burtonmobile!

theaterindex.gif

Well, I finally got around to building my Burtonesque version of the Batmobile. The set version wasn't too shabby, but I wanted something that I could truly call my own. The 1989 Burton Batmobile is simply hard to beat.

batmobile000.jpg_thumb.jpgbatmobile003.jpg_thumb.jpgbatmobile007.jpg_thumb.jpgbatmobile004.jpg_thumb.jpg

The funny thing is, I was worried that somebody else might build a better one before me, making mine look like a complete rip-off. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Still, waiting for my Bricklink order (which was held up in customs) was pure agony.

My Burtonmobile uses almost no advanced construction techniques. There is almost no SNOT, and any other techniques are relatively straight forward. The cockpit slides forward on a Technic rod, allowing for an easy entry for Batman. The car's shape was closely modeled after the original, deviating only slightly. For all intents and purposes, this was intended to be a copy of the Burton car; detail for detail.

Check it out on my MOC Page.

Questions, comments or criticisms are always welcome.

Later.

Very nice job!

I love the overall shape of it, and you did a good job of making it look really sleak and fast.

It makes me want to go buy a batmobile so I can try to build my own. :-)

I like it. A lot. It looks really sleek without any advanced techniques.

Only real criticism wqould be the color, I dislike all the black in the Batman line. But hey, it's supposed to be black ;-)

ecxellent work there my friend! i like how it dosent have the bat-wings at the rear like the official one..i hate those! would give it 4/5 one point goes for not seing the cockpit...would you show us what u did there?

ecxellent work there my friend! i like how it dosent have the bat-wings at the rear like the official one..i hate those! would give it 4/5 one point goes for not seing the cockpit...would you show us what u did there?

Sure.

I'll take some photos tonight and get them up as soon as possible.

Later.

It looks pretty good. I especially like the sliding window. I'd have to personally say that your version owns all other versions I've seen, and you dont usually hear that coming out of my mouth often.

On another note, I would like to tell everyone to stop using mocpages and bshelf and to start using Flickr.

-l2k-

It looks excellent. Clearly superior to the one from TLC.

One question. Why is there such a clear vertical demarcation between the front wheel well and the mid-part of the car, bridged only by the 1x8 tile over it. It is a hard vertical line that breaks the sleek elegance of the whole thing on the side view. Is there no way to bridge this gap, or use pieces that span the gap?

Regardless, truly excellent, and a perfect minifig scale. The sliding roof top is simple but elegant.

One question. Why is there such a clear vertical demarcation between the front wheel well and the mid-part of the car, bridged only by the 1x8 tile over it. It is a hard vertical line that breaks the sleek elegance of the whole thing on the side view. Is there no way to bridge this gap, or use pieces that span the gap?

Regardless, truly excellent, and a perfect minifig scale. The sliding roof top is simple but elegant.

That's just how he got it to "thin" in the middle. I guess he figured it was the best way to go. Honestly, I think it was too.

This is a result of the hinges used to narrow the waste of the car. The actual Burtonmobile narrows near the cockpit. To achieve this, I used 2 hinge plates. The result is accurate to the movie car, however it creates an unavoidable verticle line. Moreover, there is no wedge or brick that could achieve the desired angle. In actuality, the photographs make this line stand out far more than it ordinarily would (heightened contrast).

If you have a suggestion for this problem, I would be greatful.

Thanks.

(Starwars 4J) explained it while I was typing *y*

Later.

Oh, duh. OK. stupid question.

If there was a way to solve this, it would probably involve using curved slopes turned sideways, but I ma not sure they will achieve a nice looking angle.

Possibly 2x2x3 slopes turned sideways would give the right angle. They're also rather common

The angle is far more subtle than that. It was a good idea though.

Later.

Wow!

Looking at my MOC page, I must have really offended somebody. If that's the case, I am truly sorry. It was never my intention.

Honestly, if you find my comments to be arrogant or rude, I must apologize. As is often the case, I tend to get a little over-excited when I finish a new MOC. It was never my intention to slight you or hurt your feelings. I certainly never intended to insult or diminish the work of other builders. Moreover, I don't think my statements suggest anything negative towards those aforementioned fans.

I have seen alot of great Batmobiles (ALOT of Tumblers), but rarely have I seen a LEGO version of the Burton car. I certainly haven't seen one designed to accomodate the current Batman minifigs. Flicker's Batmobiles are great, but they are his own design. There are other good designs out there as well, but most of them seem to be varriations on the Burton car, rather than a direct homage. I certianly didn't mean any malice with my statements

On LUGNET, I stated the following:

"Looking around Brickshelf, I couldn

Meh, don't sweat it. Just cause some dweeb thought he/she saw something doesn't mean it was there. I don't see anything wrong with hte post. I read those reviews and wondered where the heck they were coming from.

Dweebs are best ignored.

I also saw the MOCs they were referring to, and although they are excellent indeed, I prefer yours - for the reasons stated in the review.

Dweebs.

Well, it did sound a bit egotistical, but I don't think anyone from Eurobricks would have left those messages. This is a nice little community (aside of those recent trolls...), and I doubt it would have been done that way. Also, the people left their names...I'm pretty sure we'd know who said that anyway if they were from here.

No need to apologize to us or anyone though. Hell, sometimes I wish I had a lot more self confidance ;-)

Dear Joel,

Hey there! This is Jon Markiewitz - I've been around the batman lego circuit for a while - I recently was able to get some time to come back to some of these forums. Anyways, I've got to say that I really like that "burtonmobile".

Edited by Jonathan_Markiewitz

Dear Joel,

Hey there! This is Jon Markiewitz - I've been around the batman lego circuit for a while - I recently was able to get some time to come back to some of these forums. Anyways, I've got to say that I really like that "burtonmobile".

I don't know if you've seen my work at all, but I've got to say, from one batmobile MOC builder to another, you captured the Keaton Car really, really well. That car is definitely an intricate design to recreate in LEGOs, I know, lol. Great job, and good luck on future projects.

- Jonathan

"Batman: Revenge" - The Batman LEGO Film (2003)

"Captain's Nightmare" - The Star Trek: TNG LEGO Film (2002)

Thank you.

I just bumped into your car the other day. I must say, its quite nice. The inclusion of the "Batmissle" is certainly a great feature. Also, I like the shape of the canopy. Its probably a bit more accurate to the original. I think the addition of the port exhaust system and tail lights would make the car even better!

Still, I was even more impressed by your "Batman Revenge" car. The hint of chrome, and the covered front wheels are awsome. Also, where the wheels may be a bit small on some of your other cars, they seem to work perfectly here. This car is incredibly sleek.

Later.

A really great Batmobile. The profile, fins and slab sides really make this moc. Truly superior to TLC's version !

bfs