Sign in to follow this  
BeKindRewind

MOC: Nativity

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The moment I saw the first images of PoP way back when and saw the awesome camels, I thought of only one MOC in particular...a nativity scene. Now, I've seen some really good nativity scenes around on Brickshelf and I think even here, but I thought I'd add my own to the mix. I had two goals: make it big enough to include all the main characters but not so big that it becomes burdensome to display. I wanted it to sit along side the other TLG Christmas scenes (like the Toyshop) and fit in size-wise.

So without further ado, here it is...

1nativity.jpg

And a close up of Jesus, Mary and Joseph...

2jesus_mary_joseph.jpg

The angel on top (I didn't like any wings I tried to make so I stuck with a cape. I figure if Superman flies with a cape, then angels can, too.)

3angel.jpg

The shepherds come in from the west (with one sheep lagging behind)...

4shepherds.jpg

I cannot take credit for the sheep directly. I didn't copy anyone in particular but I'm pretty sure I've seen this design somewhere before. So if you designed them, then I applaud you and give you credit.

Next the wisemen from the east. The first sheds a few tears of joy, but the last guy seems a little TOO happy...

5wisemen.jpg

Next is the scene without the people. I was tempted to throw in a pig as well to round out the farm animals, then I remembered that pork wasn't high on most Hebrews' diets. The rooster is directly from MMV. I'm most proud of the rafters and how they came out. I hope the pictures do them justice...

6just_the_stable.jpg

7close_up.jpg

Lastly the two sides including a scorpion that wants to look on, too...

8left_side.jpg

9right_side.jpg

And there's my nativity scene. I hope you all like it. It's my first MOC so please be gentle with the suggestions (though they are all welcome). I wasn't sure if I should post it under "Historical" as it happened 2000 years ago or "Other Lego Themes" as it's more of a Christmas scene, so if it gets moved I'd understand.

I really think that TLG could make a lot of money by making their own nativity set. They make a lot of sets for Christmas anyway and I don't think it would look out of place. I think they would sell well, but maybe they don't want to sell something so overtly religious.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Wow! that looks great! I love the design of the manger, it looks like it came right from the Bible! Keep up the great work!

Hello!

It's a lovely scene you're showing to us here! :classic:

You've used the colours cleverly so they work together in a harmonic way and provide the rigtht look for the environment you surrounded it with. The many small details give life to the diorama and make it a pleasure to look at. :classic:

Christmas is coming! :wink:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Wonderful! I was thinking about making a nativity set from Lego for a Christmas display at my house, and this gives me a lot of great ideas. It looks really nice and is a great rendition of the scene.

Thanks for doing this MOC BeKindRewind, thanks for giving EB a truly early Christmas spirit! :sweet:

That is indeed a very great reation, you got all the elements right, from the stable, animals, to the Holy Family, shepherds, the Three Kings, and even the Angel. Can't find any fault, just great! :thumbup:

Well done, this is a beautiful rendition! I may just try this for our families Christmas this year, if you don't mind :classic:

Thanks all for the kind comments. Baylego and Fires-storm, make sure you post your MOCs if you make them. I would love to see what you guys do with the theme.

I'm working on my own Nativity for Christmas - although I'm going to be slower and it's going to be bigger! (The Inn (full to bursting, naturally, as there's no room) and some fields with the shepherds in.)

Sadly, no PoP sets, so I don't have any camels for the wise men... they can arrive on foot or horseback if I don't get any in time.

I love the tiling on the roof! However, I'm not sure about a few minifigures faces... is there any reason to have an embaressed angel? And given that Mary's meant to be young, it looks like there's a disturbing age gap between her and Joseph... eh, maybe I just have something against that face since I bought the Kingdoms battlepacks and ended up with what seemed like ten thousand of it. :tongue:

But yeah, in conclusion, that'd be an awesome decoration or ornament for christmas!

Excellent MOC there 'BeKindRewind' and just to remind us all that Christmas is only 3 months and 2 days away ! :wink:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Yes, but if you want to get technical, it wasn't a stable, it was the lower floor of a peasant house.

For the nativity scene people expect to see, this is brilliant.

I like it... I like the roof, especially, and I love the sheep (not in that way!)

When I saw the crib someone posted last week I thought immediately of a nativity scene, it's really awesome...

I don't have any cows or camels though, but then that's what Bricklink of for.

For all those wondering about the "historical truth" of my nativity, I have spent enough time in Sunday school to know that, no, many of the aspects of the "traditional" nativity set-up are false. It wasn't a barn. The wisemen showed up probably two years later. And technically the Bible never mentions camels. The wisemen probably showed up on horses if they were truly wise (camels being so unruly :grin: ). Speaking of horses, the Bible mentions a donkey in the stable and not a horse (but there is no Lego donkey thus my white steed). So I will leave the truly historical sets to the Bible scholars out there (actually I've seen some good historical ones on Brickshelf already).

To Bingo Little: The angel is actually supposed to be singing. It's the head from the carolers in the Winter Toy Shop. Again the rosy cheeks aren't historical either as most scholars think Jesus was born around April. :laugh:

Edited by BeKindRewind