Sign in to follow this  
optimus-convoy

Airline promo biplane

I think someone posted a link to it on bricklink before, but we never saw pictures of the actual plane (Well at least I haven't), so nice find.

It does look like a very nice little plane, the only thing i don't really like is the red on the front.

nice!!! now all we need is an airport to fit this design..like something from the 1930s or 40s...

its an era lego hasnt really got into..at list for buildings..

I know I've seen it before...

I would like to snag one of these. Though I'm not fond of the yellow. Maybe I'll steal the design and rework it with a different color.

Steve

Its really not a new set hehe !! The Desert Biplane came out last year ;-)

I bought it last year in the plane going to Billund for EB's event !!

It has a much better design than any of the two former biplanes TLXC produced !!

What is weird is that this plane is categorised as an "adventurer plane" hehe !! So its the last adventurer set hehe !!

PS1: I shall edit your title to get rid of the word new ;-)

PS2: I shall move this to the future History and Adventure forum

*yoda*

I wrote LSAH last year when I first saw this plane to see if Lego would be releasing it as a regular set. As always, they did not answer my question with a yes/no.

I like it and it's very rare in the US. Bricklink lists the set at $29 or $30 (USD). It's probably a $7-$8 set since it's similar to 7420 Thunder Blazer. I'd love to get one of these.

Nice set, and I hadn't seen it so thanks for posting it... According to Lugnet it is a "Promotional set available on KLM, Air France, Condor, Air Berlin, My Travel, Britannia Nordic, SAS, Maersk Air, Malaysian Airlines MAS, Finnair." It's the fig that really interests me...

God Bless,

Nathan

The fig is just Lucius Malfoy from Knockturn Alley with DkStone legs and an aviator cap.

The head is also available in Dobby's Release. The torso is only available in The Bi-Plane and Knockturn Alley.

Thanks, I don't keep track of the HP sets so I missed that link...

God Bless,

Nathan

Nice set, and I hadn't seen it so thanks for posting it... According to Lugnet it is a "Promotional set available on KLM, Air France, Condor, Air Berlin, My Travel, Britannia Nordic, SAS, Maersk Air, Malaysian Airlines MAS, Finnair." It's the fig that really interests me...

Is that what they mean by "airline promotional set"?

I'm in the US and our airlines don't sell anything, so this is actually kind of weird.

So what is the deal, then; do the airlines sell the set, or do they give it away as a free toy on flights, or what? And why airlines?

And why not here in the USA; some of these sets are really cool and I feel like we're missing out big-time! :P

It's the fig that really interests me...
The fig is just Lucius Malfoy from Knockturn Alley with DkStone legs and an aviator cap.

The head is also available in Dobby's Release. The torso is only available in The Bi-Plane and Knockturn Alley.

i agree, this mini fig rocks... i love that torso, but never really noticed it from the harry potter series. it only caught my attention after seeing it in this set. i guess it was that silly female hair on lucius.

its interesting that LEGO didn't create a new torso for this set. LEGO was known to cross over heads from other themes, but this is one of the very few times that LEGO switched a torso over to another theme. for example, the basic pirate head (with mustash and stubble) doubles as the head for the western sheriff. or the ice planet blonde guy doubles as the western red shirted cowboy... there are tons of examples for heads... but LEGO usually produced new torsos within each theme.

its also interesting to note, that when LEGO kept the same head/torso configuration, and only changed the accessories (headgear, neck/body wear, or even legs) it was assumed that all configurations were the same charcter. for example, ironhook from the pirate theme changed accessories all the time, and even switched from all black legs to a black leg/peg leg combo. but his head and torso always remained the same, therefore always defining that minifig as ironhook. there are plenty of other examples for this too, just too many to mention. so, if we took these same rules and applied them to this minifig, well, i guess we would have a lucius aviator in the adventurers series !!!

- brickminer

I like the colors -very different. The use of brown and yellow is pretty rare, although tan would look good as well. It has the large wheels to, unlike the Orient Adventure planes.

How comptabile do you think this plane is with Adventurers, Brickster? Would you consider using parts of it or including it in an Adventurers MOC?

Is that what they mean by "airline promotional set"?

I'm in the US and our airlines don't sell anything, so this is actually kind of weird.

So what is the deal, then; do the airlines sell the set, or do they give it away as a free toy on flights, or what? And why airlines?

And why not here in the USA; some of these sets are really cool and I feel like we're missing out big-time! :P

They're normally sold as duty-free products on international flights only (hence not in the US) but I picked up this on the way to the US no pic added yet unfortunately. I remember when I was young I was given a small lego helicopter with no fig on a plane for free (seen here) but generosity has decreased somewhat : ( Unfortunately Bricklink is still the answer for most of these sets (there are a few old airline promos I would love...)

God Bless,

Nathan

How comptabile do you think this plane is with Adventurers, Brickster? Would you consider using parts of it or including it in an Adventurers MOC?

I think it fits in nice with both the Egyptian Desert and Orient Expedition themes. The use of yellow, however, is a bit different than tan found in the adventurer sets. But I do think it would compliment the adventurers theme nicely

The problem with all these small planes and adventure sets though, is that they never provide enough pieces to build a larger plane. I've always wanted to make a larger biplane about the size of the Island Hopper or large enough to fit 2-3 figs and adventure cargo. What good are these single seated biplanes for a team of adventurers? I suppose one needs to buy 3-6 of each of these sets to make a larger plane. I have not tried this, but it would be interesting if you could do so with a few of these sets.

They're normally sold as duty-free products on international flights only (hence not in the US) but I picked up this on the way to the US no pic added yet unfortunately. I remember when I was young I was given a small lego helicopter with no fig on a plane for free (seen here) but generosity has decreased somewhat : ( Unfortunately Bricklink is still the answer for most of these sets (there are a few old airline promos I would love...)

Problem is that BrickLink isn't that good of an answer. This set, for example, has 178 pieces, but the cheapest I can find on BL is $29 in the Netherlands, where shipping is probably going to be at least $10 (probably more).

I like the set a lot, but there's no way I'm paying $40 for something that small.

:\

Problem is that BrickLink isn't that good of an answer. This set, for example, has 178 pieces, but the cheapest I can find on BL is $29 in the Netherlands, where shipping is probably going to be at least $10 (probably more).

I like the set a lot, but there's no way I'm paying $40 for something that small.

:\

Hence my use of the word 'unfortunately'... it is still a lot cheaper than flying somewhere to get it ;-)

God Bless,

Nathan

im just curious (cause i don't know), but why is this set considered an adventure set ??? i mean i know bricklink classifies it as so... but is that our only reference... and what is their source ???

i mean, they also call the new grays "light blurish gray" and "dark blurish gray"... i don't see to many other sites using those names... usually its "old gray" or "new gray".

bricklink isn't the industry staple all the time.

- brickminer