legomilk

2011 LEGO Creators News & Discussion

I like it! Looks like it has a working doorbell, interesting. Not digging the brick built dog? Why? Alternate builds are decent looking as well.

A doorbell?!? Oh, how wonderful!! :laugh::classic:

It looks like the set includes a feather element (the kind used in feathered headdresses and so on) for the house's occupant to use as shears for trimming the bushes.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Well,

1) purchase of yellow steering car

2) purchase of the phare

3) sure purchase of the house on the hill

I wonder if the fool on the hill lives in the house on the hill :laugh: .

Days after days...

Lego 5771 Hillside House pic is out:

Wow, that looks great.

I like that they included a minifigure like the in the log cabin set. Also the solar panels to me seem really nice. I think they are a lot better than the ones in 8403 (or maybe that is because I do not like stickers :sceptic: ).

However it seems that there is no baseplate but just the regular plates. I am not convinced that that is good. And also the dog... I think a white version of the new shepherd dog would have been better.

Ok, that's enough negativism. All in all I really like this set and am sure I will get at least one.

Wow, that looks great.

I like that they included a minifigure like the in the log cabin set. Also the solar panels to me seem really nice. I think they are a lot better than the ones in 8403 (or maybe that is because I do not like stickers :sceptic: ).

However it seems that there is no baseplate but just the regular plates. I am not convinced that that is good. And also the dog... I think a white version of the new shepherd dog would have been better.

Ok, that's enough negativism. All in all I really like this set and am sure I will get at least one.

As far as MOCing is concerned, I'd say regular plates are far superior to baseplates. They're more versatile in most cases.

I'm not sure whether or not to expect baseplates to disappear in other themes like they have in Creator this year, but I know I'd miss them. Still, if LEGO could manage to match the effective use of baseplates in sets with the effective use of regular plates, baseplates needn't be missed for long. The only downside is for those of us who already have a collection of baseplates-- integrating them with newer, plate-based sets could be difficult, although still possible.

As far as MOCing is concerned, I'd say regular plates are far superior to baseplates. They're more versatile in most cases.

I'm not sure whether or not to expect baseplates to disappear in other themes like they have in Creator this year, but I know I'd miss them. Still, if LEGO could manage to match the effective use of baseplates in sets with the effective use of regular plates, baseplates needn't be missed for long. The only downside is for those of us who already have a collection of baseplates-- integrating them with newer, plate-based sets could be difficult, although still possible.

One thing I like about baseplates is that they are easier for me to move my buildings around.

One thing I like about baseplates is that they are easier for me to move my buildings around.

I can see how that's the case in some cases. In others, though, I have more trouble moving sets on baseplates around than sets on standard bricks and plates, since baseplates are flexible and may bend causing parts to detach. In a lot of cases, it depends on what's built onto the baseplates or plates. In this case, I'd expect the added thickness of the hill to hold the plates together pretty well. In the case of the Log Cabin it might be a different story; can't say for sure because I don't have the set myself.

If LEGO does transition completely to using standard plates instead of baseplates, something I'd like to see (maybe not in a Creator set, but in other sets if the transition makes it that far) would be the use of this piece for parts that would tend to be smooth on a baseplate like roads and rivers. Its proportions (8x16) work very well with the 16x16 plate introduced this year and used for the Log Cabin's base. And I can picture a number of ways that a road made out of these could offer new opportunities.

One thing that would certainly be a problem is curved roads and rivers. But then again, curved road plates are hard to build with which may explain why so few have appeared in sets that include buildings. And I'm sure LEGO could come up with a solution to that problem if they were to transition to this style.

I'm not all in all saying I'd prefer regular plates and tiles to baseplates, but I can picture a lot of pros and cons to such a change, and it's fun brainstorming the possibilities of such a change.

I don't mind the switch when it comes to the log cabin, because clearly it wouldn't fit in a city setting with the other creator houses. But this, on the other hand for the Hill House, I don't like it because now I'm going to have to buy a green baseplate to put it on to integrate it into myncity because I have all other buildings on baseplates. Plus, like most I have street baseplates.

Also, what's up with adding these bland, plain mini figures? No torso prints on this guy either? Why TLG!? Why!

Edited by Legocrazy81

Huh...

This set is interesting, in a good way. It looks decent enough to be worth it, but I have a couple nitpicks about it fitting in with Lego City. First, it's on a hill, which means it can't go straight into a suburb, as it will be higher up than the rest of the houses. Secondly, the dog doesn't really fit in with the molded dogs we have.

Huh...

This set is interesting, in a good way. It looks decent enough to be worth it, but I have a couple nitpicks about it fitting in with Lego City. First, it's on a hill, which means it can't go straight into a suburb, as it will be higher up than the rest of the houses. Secondly, the dog doesn't really fit in with the molded dogs we have.

The dog is actually OK IMO. It makes for a great terrier of some kind, with its more squared-off look. And its proportions are OK relative to a minifigure. It may be plain, but I don't think it would stand out too garishly unless it was placed right near one of the more specialized molded dogs.

Hills do interfere with use in a regular City layout. However, I'm sure if you bought two of this house (or some basic green slopes) you could remedy that. After all, it's not a very large hill.

I can't wait until we get news about the holiday creator set. I really liked the toy shop and bakery, and I really look forward to adding to the holiday village. I guess we don't even have a set number for it yet. Strange how the wreath and reindeer are known though.

On a related note, I wish they would re-release the holiday train from 2006. I was in my dark age then, and that would have been my introduction to Lego trains.

Strange how the wreath and reindeer are known though.

I didn't know about the reindeer. It's pretty obvious there's going to be a wreath, seeing as both the previous sets had them, though.

Where'd you find out about this stuff anyway? I'm very interested to find out more...

I didn't know about the reindeer. It's pretty obvious there's going to be a wreath, seeing as both the previous sets had them, though.

Where'd you find out about this stuff anyway? I'm very interested to find out more...

I wasn't being clear enough, so there is a misunderstanding. On the first post of this thread is a list and photos of the creator sets. At the end are two polybag sets: one is a tiny wreath and the other is a tiny reindeer. I don't think there is any news yet on the 2011 holiday set.

Edited by Zeya

I wasn't being clear enough, so there is a misunderstanding. On the first post of this thread is a list and photos of the creator sets. At the end are two polybag sets: one is a tiny wreath and the other is a tiny reindeer. I don't think there is any news yet on the 2011 holiday set.

Oh, sorry. I should've realised :blush: .

I'm looking forward to seeing the hillside house's interior. I hope that it is furnished, but I doubt it. I don't get why it wasn't at the toy fair :wacko: .

Anybody else see that video of the lighthouse, it actually lights and rotates like a real lighthouse, so cool. May have to pick that one up.... :blush:

They also have the 5770 Lighthouse Island set available for pre-order with a release date of 1st June 2011, its price is £40.99 and it has 1 minifig and 518 parts in it. :classic:

~buddy~

I've spotted lighthouse 5770 in my local TRU today - Oxford, UK.

In the US as well, California.