Sign in to follow this  
Blake Baer

Fort McHenry

Fabulous MOC Blake Baer, this is beautiful work! I love the complex shape of the fortifications, and the slew of special effects (smoke, water, fire) that you included in your MOC! Very interesting that you chose to depict half a ship, it certainly saves a lot of parts! :pir_laugh2: This is a great way to start here on Eurobricks, welcome! Looking forward to see more from your Tribute to America series. :thumbup:

Looks great! The coastline, the fortresss, the ship, all very well done!

An excellent way to introduce yourself to our community! Welcome! :thumbup:

I'll go ahead and just move this to the MOCforum :pir-wink:

Incredible MOC Blake Baer! There are so many awesome parts to this MOC! :thumbup:

Welcome to Classic-Pirates :pir-classic:

Excellent MOC, and welcome to Eurobricks!

I love your landscaping; it's very refreshing to see such a mix of natural colours in both rock and grass/dirt.

I love the angled portion of the fort - have you thought about ways to get a cleaner join at the bottom in the middle? Perhaps having two angled walls at the base, with 1x2x3 slopes on the end - something like this, only at a tighter angle on the base.

I really like the fire/rubble explosions.

The half-ship is very unique, and I enjoyed the interior (even if it feels a little bare - where are all the gunners and powder monkeys?). I'm not so much a fan of the brick-built sails, but I can understand the look you were going for. The overhanging windows at the back are excellent.

I would complain that the surf follows the shoreline a bit too regularly - in my book, it shouldn't.

I'm interested in the missiles/cannonballs? Are they some sort of transitional projectile, between shells and regular roundshot?

Great MOC, really well done; keep it up! :thumbup:

Thank to you all for the great comments!

Looks great! The coastline, the fortresss, the ship, all very well done!

An excellent way to introduce yourself to our community! Welcome! :thumbup:

I'll go ahead and just move this to the MOCforum :pir-wink:

Thanks! Oh I do appologize for my erroneous placement of this MOC. I am somewhat new here as you can tell :pir-tongue:

I love the angled portion of the fort - have you thought about ways to get a cleaner join at the bottom in the middle? Perhaps having two angled walls at the base, with 1x2x3 slopes on the end - something like this, only at a tighter angle on the base.

The half-ship is very unique, and I enjoyed the interior (even if it feels a little bare - where are all the gunners and powder monkeys?). I'm not so much a fan of the brick-built sails, but I can understand the look you were going for.

I would complain that the surf follows the shoreline a bit too regularly - in my book, it shouldn't.

I'm interested in the missiles/cannonballs? Are they some sort of transitional projectile, between shells and regular roundshot?

Great MOC, really well done; keep it up! :thumbup:

Hey thanks for posting Sly Owl! I have always enjoyed your works.

As far as the bottom of the wall goes I used essentially the same idea. I tried to blend it together as much as possible but unfortunately I did run out of the correct pieces.

Yeah the half ship was very hard to build just because it was all cantilevered. Very wobbly. The inside was somewhat intentionally bare. I wasn't sure how much more( or what) I could put into there besides the ever cliche barrel.

I also agree that the standard SNOT shoreline is rather blockish. I tried to blend it together as much as possible but there is only so much one can do. I even used colored bricks from UV rays in the blue.

Thank you all for the great comments, Blake

Welcome to to the site Blake! :pir-classic:

You've done a really nice job with this, it's always nice to have a good new MOCer on the site. The splashes in the water, the angled walls, and the flag are my favorite parts, but the whole thing is excellent. It definitely has the chaotic feel of a battle.

Nice work, I look forward to seeing more MOCs from you in the future! :thumbup:

Beautiful! everything is great! There is just so much detail put into a single creation. I especially enjoy the flag, it looks very billowy and damaged, great work!

@Slyowl- I think those are the "rockets red glare" from the U.S national anthem

Edited by Admiral Ron

Wonderful fort! I love all the action going on and the fort is made in a great way :thumbup:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

EDIT: You may not know what this image means, it means that your MOC will be on our frontpage soon :pir-wink:

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Great and awesome MOC. I enjoy looking the details.

How long have you been working on it?

I like in special the american flag of the fort, it looks so authentical.

Oh my gosh this is amazing!!! I just love that flag, and that ship cut in half is awesome too!!! :pir-cry_happy:

Very nice MOC! I love almoust every inch of this MOC except those rockets, they seems a bit weird for me. But its still a very nice MOC

Captain Becker

-snip-

I love almoust every inch of this MOC except those rockets, they seems a bit weird for me.

-snip-

I believe those rockets are Congreve Rockets. I have no idea if these rockets were shot from a ship.

War of 1812

-snip-

It was the use of Congreve rockets by the British in the bombardment of Fort McHenry in the U.S. in 1814 that inspired the fifth line of the first verse of the United States National Anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner: "And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air".

I've always wanted to make a Congreve Rocket British unit since I found out about them from Age of Empires III.

How long have you been working on it?

On and off 3 months.

Nicely done. I kinda want to see some detail pics now.

Those are available on the link on the original post. For those of you who like Brickshelf better than MOCpages here is the link there as well. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=445330

I believe those rockets are Congreve Rockets. I have no idea if these rockets were shot from a ship.

I've always wanted to make a Congreve Rocket British unit since I found out about them from Age of Empires III.

Well Done Phred! Age of Empires 3 was the major inspiration for the rockets. And correct they are Congreve rockets. Well done indeed!

I really love this MOC... Historically accurate, and great craftsmanship. I love all of the action being portrayed here, and i bet that half-ship was tough to make... or was it half as hard to build as a full ship :pir_laugh2: HAHAHA... ok maybe Im not as funny as I thought

Nice to see you finally joined mate! As I said on flickr, this really is a great all round build with a nice design for the fort and ship. Keep up the good work, and I hope to see more of your work on here soon!

That's absolutely amazing ! Congratulations ! The bomb bursting in the air and the cannonball smashing the walls are simply incredible.

That's absolutely amazing ! Congratulations ! The bomb bursting in the air and the cannonball smashing the walls are simply incredible.

Please refrain from bumping year old threads to add a one line comment. Often MOC's are no longer put together after that long and the discussion has past.