Who Thinks There Are Mini Linear Actuators?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that there are functional, mini Linear Actuators in the backhoe? Yes or no? This is not a public poll, so your answers will remain anonymous.

• Yes
    • No

looks stationary to me. But may be able to swing side to side with universals or if the controls are close to the actuator.

There is no movement arrow to suggest it can swivel.

I would say they are functional, with the extending part that you see having a threaded hole up the middle of it, inside that, a threaded rod powered by a bevel gear at the back, sort of like an inverse version of the bigger ones. I would think the extending part is plastic due to it's shape at the end requiring many machining operations to produce in steel in a financially feasable way. As the inner, rotating shaft has to connect to a bevel gear, could it be that this is plastic too, or possibly metal with a plastic moulding on the end. I think it woud be very difficult to incorporate a safety clutch at this size but who knows. The two sets hear look ok but I can see a world of trouble with those mini LAs, and since i'm no fan of the current, larger LAs, it might be good for my wallet to avoid sets whose prices are inflated by including mini LAs I don't want. In short, it looks good, but its not for me.

This seems a reasonable possibility for the function of the part. It could be metal though if it were cast. As long as it is a semi-decent casting, it would not require any machining operations and could be made in large batches. No safety clutch is required as long as they do not intend to use these with motors.

I cant't really picture what you're thinking, the actuator seems to be fixed in both ends?

Basically think of it as a liftarm with a variable length. The 8862 backhoe used liftarms for these functions.

It could be metal though if it were cast. As long as it is a semi-decent casting, it would not require any machining operations and could be made in large batches.

That is a possibilty. Whilst it is possible that these are working LAs, any plastic threads of this size would surely deteriorate very quickly even under manual operation, there use hear on the raising of the front bucket possibly being the limits of their use. Cast metal parts would be a good idea if financialy feasable. I guess only time will tell.

I think the Actuators in the Backhoe could actually be working and not just dummies.

http://technicbricks.blogspot.com/2010/09/1h2011-technic-sets-first-images.html

(it says from EuroBricks, so I'm assuming it's that flickr image from before, but I can't seem to view it)

If you blow up that image, there is a 20(?) tooth bevel gear attached to where the main arm actuator is. I think it would sit nicely next to the pneumatic backhoe we had a few years back. =D

edit: actually, on seconds thoughts, the 'actuator' could be hard fixed to the bevel gear where the bevel gear is the centre of rotation...

The Helicopter looks pretty interesting too.

Edited by Benly

They look like mini-LAs to me, judging by the bottom mount point. Very similar to the full-size LAs. It looks to me that the dipper and the bucket of the back arm move in tandem. That could be interesting (perhaps not in a good way).

It's an actuator. There are bevel gears driving it. Look at the 'functions' picture on the box with the arrows indicating the controls and the available movements of the backhoe.

The exhaust stack flips backwards and forwards, likely to a driving ring.

There are finger wheels (probably black bevel gears) on the roof and sides of the backhoe. Might be on both sides (so 3 in total), judging by the number of functions, depends how the outriggers deploy.

Looks like a nice set. Good run of Technic sets in 2010-2011. Wish I had money to spend on these! Maybe I should stop spending it on Town + Trains :sceptic:

Edited by andythenorth

The backhoe is very nice to see.

I see the only important thing for most of us is its functionality :thumbup: . The fact it has to be nice too it's on second side.

Edited by Plastic Nurak

I see the only important thing for most of us is its functionality :thumbup: . The fact it has to be nice too it's on second side.

Seems the images have been redacted... which is no surprise really. The original link on the Technic Bricks site is down as well. Ergo... time to put these mini-actuator dreams to bed until Santa TLG is nice to us and releases more information.

I'm clearly on my own with this opinion though, so hopefully consensus in right!

Haven't had a chance to add my comments here (did so at TBs) but I agree with you - I wish they were mini LA's, but I strongly believe they'll turn out to be just friction parts.

Haven't had a chance to add my comments here (did so at TBs) but I agree with you - I wish they were mini LA's, but I strongly believe they'll turn out to be just friction parts.

It wouldn't be a Technic set in that case. It would be a creator set or similar.

TLG are *not* going to release a model of this size where the only 'technic' mechanism is steering. Nor would they:

- ship a model with 3 or so 'move this' wheels and levers which have no purpose

- ship a model with bevel gears pointlessly attached to friction parts.

These are LAs of some form, or I will also eat a hat :laugh:

No transmission? Meh...the gearbox concept is similar to what weve been seeing lately, but the idea is most similar to what 8480 Space Shuttle had employed. At least it has shocks as the arrows on one of the images indicate the wheels go up and down. Thats one sexy car though...too bad its another red beast.

Edited by LordGalewind

WOW for the design, S*it for the colour

http://img215.images...upercar8070.jpg

//Sorry Siegfried. I was so excited that I forgot abou this. Thank you for the editing.

Anyone else notice (maybe only those that can read and understand Italian) that they are talking about a 4 geared car, sounds like it is controlled in some way, otherwise why you need 4 gears?

Thanks,

Noam

Anyone else notice (maybe only those that can read and understand Italian) that they are talking about a 4 geared car, sounds like it is controlled in some way, otherwise why you need 4 gears?

I think the gear box is going to select which function operates (left door open, right door open, move wing, open hood). Not a transmission for the motor.

Does it look like there is a rear suspension?

I Like the body design.

Steve

Hold the phone now...no stickers, and it still looks nice? Unheard of...it better stay that way TLC.

Yeah, it is the next thing I love about it, since I H.A.T.E. stickers.

The transmission is for the functions... it can be very well seen in the middle of the picture on the left. The position of the gear lever is marked with a number to show which function it operates.

They say 4-speed gearbox is controlled by PF, i.e. it's not simply manual.

From image, I fear a Hand of God only steered car :cry_sad: . What's happened to adherence to reality :wacko: ?

I think that it's meant "driven", not "controlled", since there is just one motor.