Sign in to follow this  
Norro

REVIEW: 6077 Forestmen's River Fortress

Hey all, I just couldn't stay away from the forestmen forever ; )

6077-1.jpg

6077 Forestmen's River Fortress

Year: 1989

Elements: 348

Figs: 6

list Price: $37.50 (USD)

Lugnet score (out of 100): 85

Review # 3

Resources:

-Comments left on Lugnet

-Building instructions and Set inventory from Peeron

The Thoughts of the awe-inspiring Norro:

...in under a word per brick...

One of the true greats. This ranks as one of Lego's finest achievements. The detail, playability, part content, and look are all brilliant. Forget the complications of a band of fugitives having a large tower in the middle of a lake with only a few leaves to disguise it... This set is fun to build and great to play with. The raft is a really nice inclusion and the entrance is so well built you can almost overlook the absence of an interior. With something inside this probably could have challenged for the position of my all time faviourite...

Guest Minifig Comments:

Even on Lugnet they mock me, the brave intrepid crusader who single handedly (and rather heroically I might add) discovered the lair of the fiendish woodsmen and throwing caution to the wind charged in. They were slightly more sporting then people give them credit for, the set aside their bows and just overpowered me... Now I'm sitting in that weird space beside the drawbridge that some set designer said would make a decent dungeon. If you see any crusaders around tell them I'm here...

It's So Great I Must Have It Now:

-On Bricklink

-Or some non-lego specific site no one has ever heard of...

God Bless,

Nathan

Cool review, So how much do they Mock him.

Well when JoJo (of Lugnet and CC fame) describes you as an idiot (see the comments left on Lugnet link) you know it is getting bad... I seem to remember a thread about him way back as well...

God Bless,

Nathan

That makes me want to cry :'-(

I got one MISB for around $60 (USD) a few years back and it was still a brilliant bargin compared to anything on the shelf today...

God Bless,

Nathan

Ed traded me this set. It was the one set I really wanted but never got. I have one now and I don't wonder why I liked it so much in the catalogs. Thanks Ed!

Best forestmen set.

Another nice review.

Very, VERY. Good set. I love the openness of the inside... and the small little jail. To me it almost looks like it was a small church/citadel that was built in a flooded area and than turned into a fortress... but thats just the inside. Outside it looks very much like a watch tower built in a flooded region. So many figures... and such a cool design... how can people not like this set... I've wanted this set for years... maybe one day I'll accept a loss of Nostalgia and trade one of my big UFO sets for this one (my friend wants one of my UFOs and I want this... LOL).

You had to do it did you Mr Norro? Forced at gun point or something? I shall begin the review process later, however now I'm feeling too fatigued to do it properly so it can wait!

You had to do it did you Mr Norro? Forced at gun point or something? I shall begin the review process later, however now I'm feeling too fatigued to do it properly so it can wait!

Yep (really small arrow point, but there were about 50 of them ;-))! This is one great set... and I love FM so much...

God Bless,

Nathan

A unique set. For those that don't have it, or haven't built it, the whole back wall of the fort swings out as a single piece to permit access to the inside of the fort.

Nothing is supplied for the inside of the fort, but that's not a problem really.

While I like this set, it never quite reached the status of the "greats" for me. Dunno why. Good price, rich supply of nice figs, not a useless part in the set. No useless cart that drives up the price point but dosen't really add to the quality of the castle. It has everything that I want in a castle.... yet somehow....

I think if it had brown corner panels like 6079 it would have looked better (the black trees don't do it for me). It just doesn't seem impressive or detailed enough given that it was the crowning achievment (or at least the biggest set) of the Forestmen line. It could have been combined with Forestmen Crossing 6071 to make a a set that truly impresses, with 550 parts. Nothing stopping any from buying both, and doing it themselves, of course.

That makes me want to cry :'-(

$37.5 in 1988 = $62 in 2006.

This is a 350 part set.

I would judge that this is not very different frmo what we would get these days.

The difference, of course, is the quality of this set and the number of good figs, which totally surpasses anything TLC has done with castles in the last 10-15 years.

6077-1.jpg

With a few modifications like exchanging the current foliage with palm tree leaves and replacing the Forest Men with pirates we'd have a wonderful pirate set here!

This set was obviously designed back in the day when The LEGO Company knew what they were doing. Here we see a solid robust fortress built between what appear to be two trees. Do we think this set would have worked as well if the wooden tree components were brown instead of black?

The next thing that stirkes me about this set is mini-figures are plentiful - 5 Forest Men and one Crusader in this not overly huge set. Ahhhhhh! Nostalga strikes me and makes me long the Golden Age of LEGO once more!

$37.5 in 1988 = $62 in 2006.

This is a 350 part set.

I would judge that this is not very different frmo what we would get these days.

The difference, of course, is the quality of this set and the number of good figs, which totally surpasses anything TLC has done with castles in the last 10-15 years.

These days I scrap the bley, then other useless parts and am left with a few good parts... every single one of those 350 is useful to me... so I errat it as equivilant to a 750-1000 piece set of today.

God Bless,

Nathan