Sign in to follow this  
Legomaster34

MoC:Hogwarts

I thought I would post my version of the 2007 Hogwarts. Now, keep in mind that I only have the Flying Lesson set and I don't have any tan or sand green. Also keep in mind that this is designed to play with, not to look good.

Hogwarts closed:hogwarts_1.png

Opened: hogwarts_2.png

Interior: hogwarts_3.png

Gryffindor common room: hogwarts_4.jpg

The Gryffindor common room features an opening bed:closed openedwhich can hold Harry's trunk. There is even a fireplace to keep the students warm on cold winter nights.

I am already working on a revision of this room that will attach onto the side of this Hogwarts, or the 2010 version via friction pins.

Dumbledore's Office: hogwarts_9.jpg

Dumbledore's Office features many different things the old wizard has collected over the years. Including magical crystals on one of the back tables. He has a telescope looking out one of the windows. Of course Fawkes the phoenix is resting on his perch, and Gryffindor's sword is up on the wall. Let's not forget about the professor's desk, with his bottle of ink and his quill. He even has some goblets and a scroll on his desk.

If you look on the front view of the castle you will see the four house colors on headlight bricks, one of them holds up the sword. :tongue:

Edited by Legomaster34

Please resize your Pics, I thought my screen was going to implode :tongue:.

A bit to multi-coloured for my liking and the design is poor. However, I am sure if you get the right colours and change the design it would be good. The rest of it is just :sceptic:

Take a look at some of our Harry Potter Mocists like Matn for some inspiration. :thumbup:

Edited by Burman

Considering you have one set, you did well to recreate it with the limited amount of bricks available, and I like how you've managed to substitute for certain things, like the Parrot as Fawkes, and the sheet ghost as a HP ghost. :thumbup:

Great effort, but I suggest investing in a few more sets.

Hmm, a valiant effort if your collection of bricks is really that limited, but I would highly suggest that you look at how others build to really learn the ropes. I don't know how old you are, but if you're in this forum, you should be old enough to stop building like a child (throwing bricks together no matter what color or shape they are) and step into the world of AFOLs (actually thinking what you're building).

Also keep in mind that this is designed to play with, not to look good.

It's obvious you chose practicality over looks, but remember that those two aren't mutually exclusive. You can have both great design and great playability in one creation. :wink:

Here is a handy tutorial on re-sizing images. It helps our members with slower connections and graphics drivers!

A clever effort, and with less colours it could even look like one of the "classic" set designs of the past. If gathering parts in the right colour is an issur, take a look at bricklink to collect exactly what you need.

Considering you have one set, you did well to recreate it with the limited amount of bricks available, and I like how you've managed to substitute for certain things, like the Parrot as Fawkes, and the sheet ghost as a HP ghost. :thumbup:

Great effort, but I suggest investing in a few more sets.

Thank you, the parrot acually works pretty good since the Fawkes mold is an exclusive piece to the Dumbledore's Office set.I only got into the LEGO Harry Potter theme around 2008, and I used most of my LEGO money on BIONICLE. But now that BIONICLE is over :cry_sad: that frees up my money for Harry Potter.

Hmm, a valiant effort if your collection of bricks is really that limited, but I would highly suggest that you look at how others build to really learn the ropes. I don't know how old you are, but if you're in this forum, you should be old enough to stop building like a child (throwing bricks together no matter what color or shape they are) and step into the world of AFOLs (actually thinking what you're building).

It's obvious you chose practicality over looks, but remember that those two aren't mutually exclusive. You can have both great design and great playability in one creation. :wink:

I do have a lot of bricks, not many new ones though, but I like to have many different creations built at one time, so my brick selection becomes very limited very quickly. Another contributing factor to the look is that this is more of a side project, designed to keep me entertained until I can get the new 2010 Hogwarts. Usually I do think about what I build, but as I said, I didn't put too much thought into this build.

Here is a handy tutorial on re-sizing images. It helps our members with slower connections and graphics drivers!

A clever effort, and with less colours it could even look like one of the "classic" set designs of the past. If gathering parts in the right colour is an issur, take a look at bricklink to collect exactly what you need.

I didn't know how big the pictures really were, I have a pretty fast computer, but thank you for telling me that because I never would have thought of that on my own.

I wasn't aware until now that there was a website for just LEGO elements, I will have to keep that website in mind next time I need specific colors.

Edited by Legomaster34

I think you did a pretty decent job on this MOC considering the obvious limited parts that you have. I like how you focused on the playability despite the rather colorful finish. Given more parts, I'm sure you would have made a more realistic version aesthetics-wise. But there's always a next time, and you could always improve on your creations. :classic:

You did indeed a decent job without LEGO Harry Potter parts. But isn't so hard to make something that could resemble Hogwarts, I still remember I did it myself when I only had the Final Task set back in 2001. I used all the light and dark grey I could find in my collection to make castles, with some splashes of black. Hogwarts doesn't have to be tan, it can be grey, but this mixture of colours isn't really appealing to the eye. But it works as a playset. You said you didn't put much thought in this, next time put in some thought and only when you yourself are satisfied, upload it. :wink:

Edited by Matn

Please do not revive one year old topics if you don't have anything to add to the discussion. Thank you.