Sign in to follow this  
Mraz Skintas

Forum creation requests

What is the procedure for requesting a sub-forum? I'd like to see one just for the technical questions about mindstorm programming in just the lego distributed language. I believe it would be a good addition rather than having to go to one of the social media zoos.

Ed

Mindstorms is in the Technic forum, which is far from a social media zoo.

A topic on programming there would be far more appropriate than a subforum. There frankly aren't that many people with questions along that line.

Edited by rollermonkey

I did not mean in EuroBricks, which I do not consider a social forum, I meant Facebook, google groups, etc. I'd like to see EuroBricks as the Go TO forum.

There are already many (241) topics, that must be searched with a multiple key since "EV3" is not allowed in the search engine.

I was thinking that there might be multiple topics at one time and that a sub-forum would allow them to continue in sequence rather than having multiple responses in one topic. For instance a topic named "Mindstorm Programming" containing responses to sensors, logic, and custom 'my blocks',etc., would be very confusing. Likewise having them scattered through out the Mindstorm forum would (IMHO) hard to find. I'm wondering if the lack of a specific place for programming questions might be limiting the participation.

A break out of Technic and mindstorms might be a good start. Since a search on "Model Team" gives no responses.

Is there a person or place that I can make this as a formal request to the administrators.

Just based on the lack of that sort of discussion currently in the designated Technic/Mindstorms/Model Team forum, I can't imagine that a dedicated sub-forum would be warranted.

You may not be able to search for EV3 specifically, but you can try using the tags function. People can tag their topics with EV3, NXT or Mindstorms or whatnot, and there are a few pages of topics with those tags. I searched on 'elevator', since I happened to know a recent MOC called "space elevator" was tagged with at least one, and clicked the tag for mindstorms. In that list, I could click on tag for NXT for a list of topics tagged so, or the tag for EV3 to get a list of topics with that tag.

Also, the last post in this topic:

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=81075

contains links to many helpful Mindstorms topics at Eurobricks and some external links to other Mindstorms resources.

If none of those fit your needs, make a new topic. If it gets a lot of traffic, then the Technic Mods would make the decision if a Mindstorms sub-forum was warranted.

Edited by rollermonkey

Also, Eurobricks is not exactly a social media zoo, while indeed a forum, we like to maintain a certain standard.

rollermonkey has some great suggestions.

As a rule, something needs to have a lot of activity to warrant even a pinned thread, let alone a subforum!

Peppermint_M

Thanks for the reply.

My original post said ".....rather than having to go to one of the social media zoos." I did not call this form a social media zoo.

This is a good forum. I thought I had a good idea, based on my trying to find information. I felt that 241 posts was a lot of activity.

If that is not the case, so be it.

Again, thanks

Ed

Sadly, those 241 posts (threads?) were across several years, Ed.

There are some folks in the Technic forum that can probably help you if the help you need isn't in those threads, or if you cannot find it. Make a new thread in the Technic forum and ask your questions. We have some very technic-savvy folks who just may be able to answer your questions, or at least better than I can.

And I'm sure that they won't bite.

I keep misreading this as 'forum cremation requests' and thinking, come on, they're not so bad.

except maybe Historic Themes, after all the whining over Nexo Knights, please go right ahead

Hello

I was wondering if we could have a Licensed subforum exclusive for posting MOC's

I sometimes feel that there is a lot going on in the Licensed Forum, and having a Licensed MOC subforum could help.

Similar to the Pirates forum and the Pirates MOCS subforum

So, I bring this suggestion to the staff for your consideration

:classic:

Or, with the recent influx of licensed themes from LEGO IDEAS and Dimensions, a separate forum exclusively for Superheroes.

I sometimes feel that there is a lot going on in the Licensed Forum, and having a Licensed MOC subforum could help.

Thanks for bringing this up Robert8. :thumbup:

This is something that has been mulled over in the past. It is possible something like this could be done in the future, but personally I myself don't see it as an immediate need. There are indeed some postings of builds, but not enough to warrant an entire sub-forum in my opinion, at least not at this time. That said, I will note that the Pirates forum and accompanying sub-forum are a special circumstance, as the Pirates forum was integrated into Eurobricks and as such is structured in a more unique manner.

A more apt comparison might be the Star Wars forum--which like Licensed does not utilize a sub-forum (for individual creations). They "sticky" important topics to the top of the forum (such as 2017 threads) so they do not mix into the MOCs and other posts. The Licensed forum had used the same style, but switched over last year to the "Tower Style" which places links of all the important threads in one singular "sticky". This is the same format used in the Town forum. The switch was made to better accommodate the ever increasing number of Licensed themes--which would have overloaded the 'old' style setup.

Or, with the recent influx of licensed themes from LEGO IDEAS and Dimensions, a separate forum exclusively for Superheroes.

I can say this Sir Gareth, I am almost certain that there will never be a singular Superhero forum or sub-forum! :grin: It's no secret that Superheroes take up the bulk of the discussion in Licensed; so removing/separating out the theme would kill the greater Licensed forum itself. Not gonna happen! :tongue:

In regards to Dimensions, they do not required individual thread creations, let alone sub-forums. Ideas sets do require individual threads (Big Bang Theory, Adventure Time, etc.) but they are not full blown waves either. Dimensions are grouped into one thread as they individually do not warrant a single dedicated thread. Dimensions packs will not get their own thread in Licensed unless they evolve into a full wave or into an individual set that is branded as being something other than just an extension of Dimensions itself.

So for instance there's speculation about Fantastic Beasts sets. There is an upcoming Dimensions pack confirmed for the property; so it will (and is) being discussed in the greater Dimensions thread in Licensed at the moment (because there is not enough 'info' to require an entire thread). If however Fantastic Beasts ends up getting 'traditional' Lego sets later on; then an appropriate dedicated thread will be created for it in Licensed.