Sign in to follow this  
Mraz Skintas

Forum creation requests

I think it'd be an interesting idea, but I think it'd take up too much space. From what I've heard, LEGO wants to have 150 stores open in the next few years, which would equal 150 topics here.

It would be nice, though, to have a brief synopsis of each store. Maybe we could do that, and have them all in one thread.

A whole sub-forum isn't necessary, but a topic/index would be very useful.

Thanks, sounds familiar.

A topic in this forum would suffice I think. Are there LEGO store reviews on our site already? :look: I didn't search, I'm being lazy. :blush: Sorry, I'm at work.

There are sporadic reviews, I was hoping to have them in one spot.

This is what prompted my original thought. I did a search, and couldn't find anything hitting on what I was looking for. I know there have been a couple of threads on the various Chicago stores in recent months, but there always seems someone is wondering what is available at store X or store Y. I thought that even a thread specific to Lego Stores, similar to the "Which sets should I buy next" threads, then there would be a central locale for everything, what Big Cam is saying, I think. The only advantage to a further breakdown , is that it would be a quicker find for the specific store. Although I can see how that may not be justified with the number of stores.

I wasn't trying to imply this needed it's own heading on the front page, just a Lego store review under the General, similar to Watto's under the Star Wars heading. Then someone would start a thread for Indianapolis. Ask a question. Or post a review of what they thought of the store on their visit. Quick access (assuming some one has offered their thoughts), prior to you traveling there.

Just trying to simplify a very small corner in the Lego universe. :classic:

I think you just said it yourself, this is a very small post of the LEGO universe.

A forum just fire that would be overkill.

Perhaps something akin to the original idea could be combined into the "Events" forum? Maybe not a subforum, perhaps, but there are often meet-ups arranged at various stores, and obviously the opening of new stores attracts a lot of attention and discussion as to what the store has and so forth.

A lot of the information people want to know about a store can be found there, but also spread through the General Discussion and sometimes other forums. I think people do want to know and would be interested, as there are often questions on what to find on a PaB wall or BaM section in various stores. A "home" for information such as this might reduce multiple topics asking the same questions.

Hi there!

I'm a big fan of the lego games collection Heroica, Minautorus :wub: , Ramses pyramid...

I was just wondering where to discuss about all of them, 'cause I don't really find the appropriate forum for that.

I don't know if this game theme deserve a sub-forum, but just asking.

Have a nice day!

Hi there!

I'm a big fan of the lego games collection Heroica, Minautorus :wub: , Ramses pyramid...

I was just wondering where to discuss about all of them, 'cause I don't really find the appropriate forum for that.

I don't know if this game theme deserve a sub-forum, but just asking.

Have a nice day!

It's under 'special LEGO themes' though is a bit hidden as the title description doesn't say it.

Edited by andhe

So, as Mafia and Role-playing games have gained a ton of popularity, there is now nowhere to discuss Lego wargaming/other Lego gaming. This is a little frustrating for me, as on of the main reasons I buy Lego is to play wargames with the minifigures and pieces, and I am sure others on here play Lego wargames as well. And yet Eurobricks doesn't have a place to discuss Lego wargaming.

So, would a new subforum (for the discussion of Lego wargaming) in the "Special Interests" forum be appropriate?

Thanks for reading,

Dwarf

:laugh: You're misreading the situation completely. I think you're perfectly allowed to discuss wargaming in that forum, but nobody does. The name of the forum was changed for this reason, I believe.

Well, this is what I'm able to tell, anyway.

Edited by CallMePieOrDie

:laugh: You're misreading the situation completely. I think you're perfectly allowed to discuss wargaming in that forum, but nobody does. The name of the forum was changed for this reason, I believe.

Well, this is what I'm able to tell, anyway.

The sub-forum is now specifically labeled "LEGO Mafia and Role-Play Games." Since a forum user is generally guided by the title of the sub-forum, and encouraged to stay on-topic, this title is misleading if the intent is to include all Lego gaming. If the intent was to include all Lego gaming, the title of the forum is inappropriate because it does nothing to help new users to find the appropriate space, and certainly wouldn't help someone who wanted to find Lego wargaming through a search engine. If the admins don't think there is enough of an interest to support a sub-forum on Lego wargaming, that's one thing, but if the intent is for the sub-forum to include all Lego gaming it's entirely mislabeled. As a new user I would have never known to look there unless I read this topic.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think topics such as BrikWars are meant to be discussed in Special Themes. All the LEGO Games (including the Heroica board games) are considered part of Special Themes.

BrikWars, Wargames and stuff like that are originally belongs in this forum. There was a re-naming being done quite sometimes ago. There is not much interest from our community in this aspect. However, if you have any detailed plans or wanting to start anything, I will encourage you to drop a PM to our Games Moderator, Dragonator for advise.

LEGO Boardgaming (official LEGO sets) are discuss in the Special LEGO Themes forum. It is not to be mixed with Brikwars, etc.

In my view, BrikWars and other similar games are a form of role-play anyway. If you want to discuss games of that nature, feel free to make a topic for it in the Games forum. :sweet:

The PAB thread has lots of posts asking "What is at store xxxx?" - and the answer is usually "check brickbuildr"

Brickbuldr is great - and I check it often to see what other stores have and get an idea of what might come to my local store. But it is often way out of date. Perhaps it is tedious to update with what is in each slot at each store. I don't know.

But how about this - a new LEGO Store Reports section here on Eurobricks with a permanent thread for each particular store. There the threads could be updated with what is on the PAB wall whenever members visit their local stores.

For example a store report might look like this:

On my recent trip to the King of Prussia, PA store, I found:

bricks, 1x4 orange

bricks, 1x1 orange & lime green

tiles, 1x4 green & brown

tiles 2x2 yellow

plates, 2x4 brown

white flowers, green stems

trans orange cheese

white horses (!)

etc.

Members are would still be encouraged to post their awesome PAB haul pictures in the existing thread. (I really enjoy that thread :tongue:! )

But since the PAB update format is just a forum posting, the list of what is available on the PAB wall at each store might be easier to keep up to date. And it would be easy to quickly navigate to a given store without having to wade through a single huge thread or search the Buy/Sell/Trade/Finds section.

Just a thought.

-- Bryan

I understand why you want it, but it comes down to volunteers.

Keeping those threads clean of nothing buy proper posts would be a full time job. It sounds good in theory, but it may be more work than you think. Plus if regular members aren't updating the current thread, I wonder if these new threads would be updated?

It's not a bad idea, but I don't really see the demand for a whole new sub- forum , which is basically what would be needed since there are 64 LEGO stores in the US alone.

Those are my initial thoughts.

I see your point about volunteers and keeping the the threads clean.

>> Plus if regular members aren't updating the current thread, I wonder if these new threads would be updated?

My point is not that regular members are not updating the current thread. They certainly are.

It is just nearly impossible to find a *timely* answer to "what does store X have on the wall?"

At one end of the spectrum we have Brickbuildr - which uses a very data-centric approach for tracking the inventory. In order to update, you download an Excel template, fill it out by position, the email it to the site admin. It could be argued that updating does not take a lot of time. But it involves another site, email, waiting for the update etc. Dashing off an informal forum post at Eurobricks seems much easier than that.

On the other end of the spectrum is the PAB Cups:What Did You Get thread. Currently at 41 pages, it is a slightly chaotic, but fun to browse, listing of acquisitions and discussion. However the lack of structure makes it difficult to search. PAB cup listings are posted as images, lists, spreadsheet screenshots, etc. Sometimes the store is listed, sometimes not.

Perhaps the answer is a set of post formatting rules to make searching easier?

It would be easier for the stores to just upload that kind of inventory I think...

This has been previously suggested and the subject discussed here.

At one end of the spectrum we have Brickbuildr - which uses a very data-centric approach for tracking the inventory. In order to update, you download an Excel template, fill it out by position, the email it to the site admin. It could be argued that updating does not take a lot of time. But it involves another site, email, waiting for the update etc. Dashing off an informal forum post at Eurobricks seems much easier than that.

It's a LOT easier than that. You just go to the PAB page for the store you want to update, click the image for the "bucket" you want to update and fill out the form. It's all instant.

It's a LOT easier than that. You just go to the PAB page for the store you want to update, click the image for the "bucket" you want to update and fill out the form. It's all instant.

I guess it just needs more folks to do the updates. I will have to take the template to my store next time I go there.

This has been previously suggested and the subject discussed here.

Thanks. :sweet:

Then kill this topic. Thanks.

I'll merge them instead. :wink:

I'll merge them instead. :wink:

Rick you threw me for a loop, I was reading this thread and I saw posts by me and I was like, wait a minute I didn't post that today.