Sign in to follow this  
wtorbeyns

Power Functions and Santa Fe: stating the obvious

Maybe you've converted your Santa Fe Super Chief to Power Functions a long time ago; if so, then please skip this thread. What I'm writing below will probably be obvious to you.

I put off converting the Super Chief from 9v to Power Functions for a while, because of the gray 'decorative sides' that were included. These fit the 9v engine, but not the new RC or Power Functions engines. These use a thicker technic axle. The RC 'decorative sides' therefore have a hole for the technic axle, but the gray Super Chief 'decorative sides' do not. In an older thread you will find the following advise:

You have some choices to make it work. I went with number 3, until I can get the parts and try number 2.

* Use the decorative sides from #7897 or #7898, which should work but aren't available in Light Gray (old).

* Use 5-stud Technic axles, which may not go all the way through the wheels on both sides.

* Shave a half-stud length off of each 6-stud axle.

* Drill out the metal pin holes in the old Decorative Sides to accommodate the larger diameter of the Technic axles.

I didn't want to use black sides, I have no 5-stud axles, I didn't want to cut 6-stud axles and I certainly didn't want to drill holes in the gray Super Chief sides.

But today I realized the obvious: I could just use the old 9v engine! No need for replacing it with a newer engine. I could just put in the battery and the IR-receiver and connect them to the old 9v engine with the 8886 'Power Functions Extension Wire'. And it just works.

The Santa Fe and Emerald Night are now running laps together on my all plastic Power Functions track.

Edited by wtorbeyns

I've already converted my Super Chief to power functions, and did so without making any cosmetic changes. I shaved off the #6's for the motor. Then, I was able to fit the battery box inside the train, as well as the IR receiver. The IR receiver sticks up behind the 5 round circle parts on top, and looks really nice. No Light Bluish grey can be seen. Also, I even included an external button for the battery box which doesn't change the appearance of the engine at all. You want to look in the portholes? you'll see the same thing as on the 9V model.

as far as using the old 9v Motor, i'd recommend against it. It lacks the power to pull a full santa fe train without a second motor. the PF motor can pull the full santa fe train and then some.

Edited by Goldenmasamune

as far as using the old 9v Motor, i'd recommend against it. It lacks the power to pull a full santa fe train without a second motor. the PF motor can pull the full santa fe train and then some.

Did you treat the wheel holders with a Stanley knife (see "The long haul" in railbricks #2). The wheels rub against the wheel holders, and you have to make a small cut in the wheel holder to prevent this rubbing.

Without those cuts, I could not pull my Santa Fe train with one 9V motor. But with the cuts, it's a fairly easy load (it's 4 cars, i.e. an engine plus 3 cars).

Did you treat the wheel holders with a Stanley knife (see "The long haul" in railbricks #2). The wheels rub against the wheel holders, and you have to make a small cut in the wheel holder to prevent this rubbing.

Without those cuts, I could not pull my Santa Fe train with one 9V motor. But with the cuts, it's a fairly easy load (it's 4 cars, i.e. an engine plus 3 cars).

I couldn't figure out where to make the cuts at. The parts I have already look like the diagram its telling me to cut. And my santa fe is the engine and 5 cars: Mail, baggage, sleeping, dining, observation.

I couldn't figure out where to make the cuts at. The parts I have already look like the diagram its telling me to cut. And my santa fe is the engine and 5 cars: Mail, baggage, sleeping, dining, observation.

Engine plus 5 SF cars, that surely is too much for one 9V motor.

Engine plus 5 SF cars, that surely is too much for one 9V motor.

which is why i use 1 PF motor. 1 PF motor can handle all 5 santa fe cars packed with minifigs and luggage, as well as several cars after that. If only using santa fe cars, i'm sure 1 PF motor can handle 7-8 with no bad slowdown. possibly more, but i don't have the money to invest in more santa fe cars.