Flare

Suntron Speed Fighter

Oooo, I had to comment here as I am working on a Suntron MOC too! (It's about 50%, but a few weeks away.)

Very bold decision to go all* yellow. I... hesitated on mine, it's about 75% yellow, 20% white with 5% trans bright blue highlights / cockpit.

I like the engine, within engine, within engine look. Also props to the minimal weaponry; in regards to the source material, ST I believe was meant as a civilian faction, so some weapons are appropriate for fighters, but not too many.

Critique? Hrm. A playability issue perhaps. Taking off the cockpit breaks the gun on top, no? Also, no interior cockpit? No minifig? If you are going almost all yellow, why the two white pieces? If they are meant to be bold accents, then perhaps they should be in more prominent locations (like a racing stripe).

Overall though, nice job.

Finally, if you are into Flickr, you can add this the Suntron group for more recognition: http://www.flickr.com/groups/lego_suntron/

Critique? Hrm. A playability issue perhaps. Taking off the cockpit breaks the gun on top, no? Also, no interior cockpit? No minifig? If you are going almost all yellow, why the two white pieces? If they are meant to be bold accents, then perhaps they should be in more prominent locations (like a racing stripe).

Hi TheWarden, :wink:

Thanks for your very positive and encouraging comment!

Now about playability... I am a very weird varying builder, sometimes I go for playability and forget the looks, and sometimes I build something for the looks and scrap the playability. This time, I went for its appearance. I don't have any yellow figures so I wanted to avoid any embarassing figures, and also I haven't seen any figures in Crimso's (he is my main inspiration, obviously, as he started the theme!) suntron ships actually...

Your right about the white pieces, maybe I will make a v2 :sweet:

Thanks so much! :classic:

I love this all-yellow ship! Building a ship in a majorly single color is kinda hard to pull-off as it has a tendency to become a bit dull, but you managed to make this ship interesting with the great design and right amount of details. Great job once again Flare! :thumbup:

I love this all-yellow ship! Building a ship in a majorly single color is kinda hard to pull-off as it has a tendency to become a bit dull, but you managed to make this ship interesting with the great design and right amount of details. Great job once again Flare! :thumbup:

Thanks very much, I appreciate it! :laugh:

I love this all-yellow ship! Building a ship in a majorly single color is kinda hard to pull-off as it has a tendency to become a bit dull

I agree with KielDaMan- that's exactly what I felt while building an all-orange carriage

On-topic (and without self-promoting): The design of the ship is neat, although it looks fragile (but agile) I like the engines, the weapons and the yellow-fangs-thingies.

And as for TheWarden's comment:

I think you should put white pieces instead of the 3 yellow pieces (between the white pieces)- it would make a nice racing stripe. (Maybe make the turret white as well)

A yellow Classic-Space minifig would fit here.

Good job, Flare! :thumbup:

Edited by noname

[...]

On-topic (and without self-promoting): The design of the ship is neat, although it looks fragile (but agile) I like the engines, the weapons and the yellow-fangs-thingies.

[...]

I think you should put white pieces instead of the 3 yellow pieces (between the white pieces)- it would make a nice racing stripe. (Maybe make the turret white as well)

[...]

Hey noname, it is actually quite sturdy. Not fragile at all. I still have it mostly kept together so I will try to take all of you guys' advice and make it cooler and better!

Thanks for the advice noname, and everyone! :wink:

Hello!

A quite uncommon colour combination. Very bright and shiny! :classic: The design looks quite detailed with lots of small add-ons everywhere. One thing that I find a bit disturbing is that you used trans-neon orange, trans-orange and trans red. For me personally I think it would look cleaner if you used trans-neon orange for the gun and the engines as well. The 1x1 slope could be replaced by neon 1x2 slopes when removing the yellow 1x4 brick under the cockpit closing and placing a 1x2 brick there making place for the 1x2 slopes. That's just some minor aspect however, and I am picky regarding colour shades. :wink: Another thing I like is the name "SunTron" which represents the colour scheme well! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Very nice 'Flare' and very colourful indeed....I might suggest a hinge for the weapon mounted above the cockpit so the cockpit can open without lossing the gun ! :wink:

Great job designing this anyway and I'm a conformist! 'Flare' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Cool ship, and I'm impressed at how you were able to use that large cockpit piece in such a small vehicle without making it look like a submarine.