mdoupe

Creationary -- what is this a picture of?

Don't know if it's specifically European, but it's a mailbox.

Don't know if it's specifically European, but it's a mailbox.

I've never seen one like it. A google image search for "mailbox" turned up a picture very similar to the creationary card... But not on page 1. :)

Thanks!

I don't know if I'm speaking on behalf of all Australians but I'd call it a letter box, ie the one you have outside your place for deliveries, as opposed to a mail box that are located around the place in cities and towns to put your outward mail into.

This is not what I'd typically draw if asked to draw a letter/mail box - but I suppose if you live in city apartments they do often look like this. Certainly not common in suburbia.

I don't know if I'm speaking on behalf of all Australians but I'd call it a letter box, ie the one you have outside your place for deliveries, as opposed to a mail box that are located around the place in cities and towns to put your outward mail into.

I'd say letter box or mail box. Usually letter, unless I was saying "I'll just go and get the mail (from the mail box)". The other thing you're referring to (Australia Post box thing) I would call a post box. Funnily enough they are a similar shape to this image in question!

IT IS a mailbox. The symbol, men, the symbol...

6362-1.jpg

Here there is online litterature on the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mailbox , and a lot of images

PS Before any other provincial one here maybe may think is a Danish symbol I report that it's the international symbol, the herald's horn.

Edited by Plastic Nurak

IT IS a mailbox. The symbol, men, the symbol...

Yes, but in Sweden some letterboxes have that symbol on them :wink:

So IT IS either a mailbox (most likely to be honest) OR a letterbox. :wacko:

But I agree it's a very Billund-centric image since US mailboxes and letterboxes looks different

Yes, but in Sweden some letterboxes have that symbol on them :wink:

So IT IS either a mailbox (most likely to be honest) OR a letterbox. :wacko:

Actually in Switzerland the Post Boxes (outgoing mail) in the mountains have this icon. And then they became popular for people to have these as Letter Boxes (incoming mail).

Sorry - for me it is obviously a outgoing mail box in a small alpine village. Just green, not yellow (for Swiss Post).

Just to add what I know. These are on most houses in my area. They are at the bottom of driveways up to a house usually in a pillar. Ingoing mail is placed in it for the owner to collect whenever they want.

In proper English, these are called Letter Boxes. The bugle symbol (or versions of it) are fairly common around the world as a postal service emblem and green is a fairly common colour for them too.

626475-400x400.jpg

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs