For the next Allround Car Competition, the theme is "All But Four", meaning all contestants have to make an RC-vehicule with any number of wheels exept 4. Since building light is a good technique to make a fast car, I chose the minimum number of wheels with which is was possible to make an RC-car: 3.

To give it good driving capabilities, I wanted to include the following:
* Make it as light as possible
* Differential for smooth cornering
* Good steering-lock for good manouvrability
* Return-to-centre steering for comfortable controll

1283888365m_DISPLAY.jpg

And to give it just a bit extra than just an RC-vehicule, I included a working V4-engine. It also has front & rear-lights.

For the return-to-centre steering, this part was used. It has an internal spring, which returns an axle to neutral position. An M-motor was used. Different gear-setup were tested to find the one with the best steering-lock/Return-to-neutral performance. Te result is a very manouvrable trike.

For propulsion, I chose an XL-motor. It's speed was increased by a factor 2 in a drivetrain comparable to my E.R.T.W.D.. It is quite fast, while still having some power to drive over some obstacles.

Again, I made full building instructions so all you Trike-lovers can build your own. The instructions can be downloaded on my website www.jurgenstechniccorner.com. I made some nice renders from the ML-Cad model:

1283889321m_DISPLAY.jpg

1283889316m_DISPLAY.jpg

12838891413_DISPLAY.jpg

12838891728_DISPLAY.jpg

12838898463_DISPLAY.jpg

12838898574_DISPLAY.jpg Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

Now this is awesome! You sure amde a great challenge for other builders :classic: One tip, replace knob gears with nomral bewel gears, because the knob gears are quite jerky, you will gain with nomral bewel ones.

A beauty and with an original steering mechanism to boot. Love it!

Edited by Jetro

Now this is awesome! You sure amde a great challenge for other builders :classic: One tip, replace knob gears with nomral bewel gears, because the knob gears are quite jerky, you will gain with nomral bewel ones.

Ok, I replaced the knob-gears with normal bevel gears, but the performanche didn't improve. Now I even switched back to knob-gears, because the bevel gears had the tendency to skip sometimes, which deccreases performance a bit. And I really don't like skipping gears. And the knob-gears did't have that problem in this model.

Ok, I replaced the knob-gears with normal bevel gears, but the performanche didn't improve. Now I even switched back to knob-gears, because the bevel gears had the tendency to skip sometimes, which deccreases performance a bit. And I really don't like skipping gears. And the knob-gears did't have that problem in this model.

Okay, I just thought it might help :thumbup:

Great Trike! I like the cornering it does!

One thought: Isn't it crunching gears when you do the wheelie? Doesn't the differential cry a bit when you revers the XL Motor?

fW

Truly amazing, as the rest of your designs.

I asked this before, but it didn't work out :)

Can you provide a list of parts in a text file with the corresponding part numbers?

The picture based list is very hard to match against what I have available, especially with the more complex parts which apparently I don't have :)

Can you provide a list of parts in a text file with the corresponding part numbers?

The picture based list is very hard to match against what I have available, especially with the more complex parts which apparently I don't have :)

The picture based list is output by LPub automatically, so it doesn't require any extra work for him to make it. A text based list would be a lot of effort on Jurgen's part. If you want more detail, I recommend downloading the LDraw file and exporting your own parts list from either MLCAD or LDView. Both will have part numbers attached, although these part numbers do not always match the numbers in Bricklink.

Okay, I just thought it might help :thumbup:

And your help is much appreciated, that's why I tried it. In different setups it might work better eg when I use the new gear-boxes from the new 8043 excavator.

Great Trike! I like the cornering it does!

One thought: Isn't it crunching gears when you do the wheelie? Doesn't the differential cry a bit when you revers the XL Motor?

fW

It drives quite smooth, no gears are skipping even when I drive it forewards-back-forewards quickly.

Truly amazing, as the rest of your designs.

I asked this before, but it didn't work out :)

As Blakbird mentioned, making a Bricklink-parts-list is a lot of work. And making good-looking instructions already takes a lot of time to make (more time than designing the model in this case) which delays future MOC-projects.

The parts-list image from the instructions were made smaller to fit on the page. I could provide you with a much larger and clearer image from the parts list if you want. You can mail me at Jurgenstechniccorner -a- hotmail.com (replace -a- with @ ).

The original MLCad/LDraw-file can be downloaded from my corresponding MOC-page.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

This looks great. It's like an upgraded 8857. :thumbup:

Yes, it looks a bit like the 8857, but I don't have that set and it wasn't an inspiration source, so it's pure coincidence.

That thing handles well, love the wheelies and the tight, return the centre steering. Not quite sure about the colour scheme but it looks alot of fun to play with.

Edited by allanp