Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Port Adventure

A few of you asked me about my signature as well as background images in a pic review of the Emperor's Ship, so I thought I would share a few images of what I call Port Adventure. This MOC was more a display of adventure sets that fit in nicely with the desert/ Nile Adventure theme.

From left to right, image one of five: the station. Adventurers can park their jeeps before purchasing a ticket to see the desert by train, boat, or bi-plane.

moc1.jpg

Image two depicting the small adventure bi-plane:

moc2.jpg

Image three with the River Expedition boat, among my favorite of the adventurer ships. A green passenger car can be seen in the background:

moc3.jpg

Image four shows Mike's Swamp Boat, a cargo car of the Adventure train and a bit of the Sphinx:

moc4.jpg

And lastly, image five with the Sphinx and the Tomb of Anubis:

moc5.jpg

A mural depicting the whole scene:

mural.jpg

I planned to make Port Adventure (aka Adventure Harbor) part of a story/contest. I've since wrecked the MOC, but it was fun building complete with dock and train depot. A nice display of some of these great Desert Adventure sets.

A nice eye catching MOC with some good theme loyalty to boot :-) I love the way a single station serves travel by car,boat,plane, and train... a hot air ballon would round it out nicely and perhaps a camel...

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

Ah very cool. Thanks for posting pics. :-) Like Norro said, I like that this station can be used for almost all the Adventures' forms of tranportation.

I think my favorite part is the dock; all those brown tiles make it look very neat.

nice touch by placing the MOC on a blue shinny surface !!! great placment and presentation as usual. and you used my favorite two adventurers sets anubis and the sphinx... great choices !!!

i saw a couple MOCs similar to this in concept on ebay last year... the builder had taken official LEGO release of popular (and large) pirate sets and added on to them. i remember seeing a black seas barracuda, imperial trading post, enchanted island, and others. each had been composed exactly as LEGO produced them, but they added on a significant number of pieces, expanding on the concept. in some cases adding on double or triple the amount of pieces !!!

this is an interesting way of MOC building, something i never would have thought of. and i like it !!! it gives the builder an extra chanllenge, because the additions have to blend seamlessly with the custom areas !!!

i wish i would have saved pictures of the sets the ebay seller had for sale... they were pretty good, and interesting, none the less. i even remember a black version of eldorado fortress for the pirates !!!

again, i liked seeing this brickster !!!

- brickminer

I enjoy building these old sets, then displaying them as part of larger scenes. I posted this before, and I'm going off topic, but here's a similar concept with Castle and Pirate Legends:

water.jpg

town2.jpg

To add some detail without the use of Lego, the Christmas Village sets sometime work. I think the blue "water" that you see in both displays works well. I recently went to order some blue base plates from LSAH and discovered that they no longer make them. So I used this blue plastic village water instead. This water also seems to photograph well.

A mural depicting the whole scene:

mural.jpg

A mural? Hmmmmm... If you got rid of the iridescence then you'd have something that resembled a nice stone etching. I recommend making the image grey scale to rid the colours because at present it looks like you've just ran a simple emboss filter over it. Am I'm nitpicking too much?

A mural? Hmmmmm... If you got rid of the iridescence then you'd have something that resembled a nice stone etching. I recommend making the image grey scale to rid the colours because at present it looks like you've just ran a simple emboss filter over it. Am I'm nitpicking too much?

Yes, you are. This post isn't about the mural anyway. It's about the display. I just threw the mural in as a bonus.

moc2.jpg

The Brickster, what are you using for the water? Is it blue glass or metal? Whatever it is, it looks very effective in these images. If it always turns out like this then you should use it for all MOCs involving large bodies of water.

It's a blue plastic sheet that I purchased for a Christmas village/port display. It does seem to work well for these port scenes and photographs well. I wanted blue baseplates, but Lego SAH no longer sells them.

In terms of using the blue plastic as a base backdrop I'd say it would work much better than the 32 x 32 blue base plate. Of course if you actually wanted to build something on top of it then the base plate is the better choice for structural integrity.

"Port Adventure" named because its intended for Adventurer related purposes? Or is there another reason floating around there?

No. Port Adventure just because it's a desert port where adventurers can catch a train, boat, or sea plane to venture into the realms of Adventure.

A lot of thought has gone into the name to be sure!

Besides the "mural", you wouldn't happened to have a larger non embossed panaramic picture of Port Adventure by any chance?

I took about 4-5 shots of the port to capture all the sections, but when I went to put them together, they didn't come out very well (angles and shots didn't line up well). So to answer your question, I have a larger panoramic view, but it's not good. That's why I ended up embossing it.

My single shots of the whole port didn't come out well either. My camera does better close-up shots than distant.

Were you considering plugging it in to the Pirate Avatar Workshop to make it look better? If so, don't worry about it. The image isn't that good and I've already destroyed it.

The thought never crossed my mind... I was just curious... Tripods are wonderful inventions I've discovered.

I've got one, just don't use it often. - it's more a hinderance. I'll post a few additional images if I find a fairly good one.

moc5.jpg

I could help but notice the horrible and despicable two piece palm trees that the Adventurers theme introduced. Why did they do it? Its abysmal!

Hmmmm... I'm not so sure about this. :-D I've got two of the suckers and I didn't even realise they existed until they arrived. I wondered why they were so cheap and upon opening the package I was quite shocked. They're ugly things compared to their precedacessors....

Even if it is a cheaper piece (without multiple truck pieces), I still like it and wouldn't mind a few more.

In addition to the single palm (green leaf) piece which I think is hardly noticeable compared to having four palm sections, the trunk of the cheaper (inferior) tree is one piece. The better palms have sections that you can make taller or shorter including a separate base.

Even if it is a cheaper piece (without multiple truck pieces), I still like it and wouldn't mind a few more.

You mean you misspelled "trunk"?