WhiteFang

Eurobricks Collectable LEGO Minifigures Series 2 Building Contest

IMPORTANT NOTICE

After much consideration, I will like the participants not to make use of the fiction minifigure to be used for their entry such as black minifigure or neutral minifigure is not allowed. Furthermore I have added rules to raise the standard of photography of participants' entries. Thanks.

Rules added/amended for Category A and B [updated on first post]

# No clone brands or custom parts including decals, stickers, cut outs unless it's official TLG stickers.

# No placeholder minifigure (Series 2) can be used to reflect the actual position in the entry.

# No webcam or handphone camera images can be used for the submitted entry. It must be taken in a clean and decent background with enough brightness to show the beauty of your entry.

I was planning on giving people advice. Is that OK?

Yes, it's possible to give advice and you could probably do it here.

Can we post or vignettes separately to get feedback and building advices?

No, then in the first place, I don't need to create the entries topics for each category.

I am going to do some clean up on Category A and Category B submitted entries. It's getting messy in there...

1) Removed EB member, legowill1 submitted blank WIP entry.

2) Removed EB member, legowill1 Category B entry. [Failed because of placeholder minifigure and poor photography]

3) GeneralTalon is given "Pending" status. Please read my comments in your submitted entry.

4) James Markham is given "Pending status. Please read my comments in your submitted entry.

5) Cusm is given "Pending" status. Please read my comments in your submitted entry.

absolutelylez, may I know why 3 of your images are all different in terms of lightning? :look:

WhiteFang, I've updated my pictures on my entry in category A. Please check if they are "legal".

OK, I'm going to give advice to y'all that have made yo entries already! Don't worry I'll be doing this for everyone who enters in the contest! I'm being honest, so i hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings!

fires-storm: I like the nice feel that the printed pieces give. But other than that, I think you could have made another level. There's still a lot of time. :wink:

Yoshi648: I must admit, that spewing water technique is quite satisfying. Other than that, there's not too much going for it.

GeneralTalon: You create a "ruins" fell quite nicely actually. But i think if you made it all dark/light gray, it would be even better. Also, get rid of the black fig if you want to qualify. :wink:

ceronight: You have some interesting little workout wachines there... A bit of advise would be to get rid of the technic beams in the walls, because wall with holes in them just wouldn't make sense. :laugh:

Dan Church: I was actually think about making a chair for the lifeguard, but you did it for me! :laugh: You pull it off nicely and it's all smooth and lovely. :thumbup:

cralegoboy: The idea of the melting which is great, but this vignette doesn't back it off. Just a plain floor with a minifig on it. :sceptic:

Duke: You use interesting techniques for snakes as ropes and using a duplo block, but something just doesn't stand out too much for me. I guess I kinda expected more from a MOC expert. :sceptic:

noname: It's pretty good for a quick MOC. The only thing I can say is that the ceiling is a little low.

absolutelylez: Well, it's certainly full of colors!

Rufus:I like your I idea and I know it's hard to make sloped plates, but dontcha thinks it's a little too steep? :laugh: Pretty good.

That's all for now folks. I'll be reviewing them by the tens. I hope I haven't offended anyone, I strive only to help you!

ceronight: You have some interesting little workout wachines there... A bit of advise would be to get rid of the technic beams in the walls, because wall with holes in them just wouldn't make sense. :laugh:

Thanks for the advice I was going to re-do the wall soon and might add another floor...I hope you mean 'interesting' in a good way!

Can't wait to see yours

I have reposted my entry per the amended rules, no figure stand in and I found my digital camera, although it appears to be on it's last leg.

OK, I'm going to give advice to y'all that have made yo entries already! Don't worry I'll be doing this for everyone who enters in the contest! I'm being honest, so i hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings!

fires-storm: I like the nice feel that the printed pieces give. But other than that, I think you could have made another level. There's still a lot of time. :wink:

Thanks, I actually did add another level to it before, but I took it off and decided to focus all my energy on the throne with a nice background that a pharaoh would like :classic: I'm pretty pleased with it as is, but thanks for the tips :thumbup:

The rules for Category B make it clear that an original, unadultered Series 1 minifig must be used. Is there any requirement to use that fig's accessories, and, for that matter, can a Series 1 minifig appear with different accessories (obviously excluding new accessories introduced in Series 2).

The rules for Category B make it clear that an original, unadultered Series 1 minifig must be used.

That is part of the rule. Did someone ask that question?

Is there any requirement to use that fig's accessories, and, for that matter, can a Series 1 minifig appear with different accessories (obviously excluding new accessories introduced in Series 2).

Yes, it can be done. There is no issue. Only the minifigure series 1 needs to stay original.

cralegoboy: The idea of the melting which is great, but this vignette doesn't back it off. Just a plain floor with a minifig on it. :sceptic:

That's all for now folks. I'll be reviewing them by the tens. I hope I haven't offended anyone, I strive only to help you!

I know, I've been working on that :wink:

I'm not offended either; if we listen to the community, then we have a better chance of winning, since it'll be the community voting :wink:.

Here's my entry!

Theme: The Gym(Town)

Minifigure: Weightlifter

Just imaging the weight lifter enviously watching the robot lift all that weight while he struggles with 100 lbs on the back bench press.

So, Enjoy!

dscf4108.jpg

You cheat!!

Your not allowed to use series 2 parts!

You used surfers body!

You cheat!!

Your not allowed to use series 2 parts!

You used surfers body!

Before I am going to refer anything to the rule book, I need to warn you first. Do not write in such unpleasant and impolite manner. Saying others is a "cheat" is very disrespectful. I give all participants the benefit of doubt and a chance to improve on their entry. Some of the participants have received many of my PMs to request them to improve on their entry. I am not blind but if you think I miss anything, you can raise your concern in this discussion topic in a polite manner. Furthermore, no discussion is allowed inside the respective categories topics.

As for Dan Church, I will check with him personally on his contest entry.

Thanks.

Before I am going to refer anything to the rule book, I need to warn you first. Do not write in such unpleasant and impolite manner. Saying others is a "cheat" is very disrespectful. I give all participants the benefit of doubt and a chance to improve on their entry. Some of the participants have received many of my PMs to request them to improve on their entry. I am not blind but if you think I miss anything, you can raise your concern in this discussion topic in a polite manner. Furthermore, no discussion is allowed inside the respective categories topics.

As for Dan Church, I will check with him personally on his contest entry.

Thanks.

I think he's talking about how he used the surfer muscle torso.

I'm almost done with one of my entries, but I have to ask two questions.

1. Do we have to use only TLC rubber bands? It's more a problem of availability. (it's hard to get any unless you take it out of one of your sets).

2. Can we make a video if we want to show a play feature? (like a trap door, ect.)

I am going to do some clean up on Category A and Category B submitted entries. It's getting messy in there...

1) Removed EB member, legowill1 submitted blank WIP entry.

2) Removed EB member, legowill1 Category B entry. [Failed because of placeholder minifigure and poor photography]

3) GeneralTalon is given "Pending" status. Please read my comments in your submitted entry.

4) James Markham is given "Pending status. Please read my comments in your submitted entry.

5) Cusm is given "Pending" status. Please read my comments in your submitted entry.

absolutelylez, may I know why 3 of your images are all different in terms of lightning? :look:

Problems with my flash. I think all three are still quite okay though nevertheless?

Well, I have some advices and comments to give too:

Category A:

Fires-storm- Your vignette is good, but I think that you should add a bit of gold and gems to the vignette, or maybe a spider and a spiderweb.

Yoshi648- The broken fire hydrant is great, but add a mudguard to the front of the car (if you have another one).

GeneralTalon- I think there's no need to change the gray-colors, bu maybe make it less random- dark bley on the bottom and dark grey on the top (or vice versa).

ceroknight- The gym equipment looks great, but if you can, try to stick to one color and no holes in the walls (yellow would be good). If you can, try to make the floor tiled.

Dan Church- Nice vignette. I like the landscaping and the chair!

cralegoboy- The idea is great, but try to make brown or dark brown tiles, and an old, grey (not bley) dampened wall. (And maybe a spiderweb). Two 1x1 red plates would work better as shoes, because then you'll be able to change to position of the legs.

Duke- I like the vignette, and unlike ThatGuyWithTheBricks, I have no complain about the snakes and the DUPLO block. Try to build a bit more colorful floor on the inside, and maybe some minifigs.

absolutelylez- I think that the 1x1 transparent parts should be arranged in 2x2 squares of the same color, and not that random. The disco ball looks great.

Rufus- Good work with the landscaping- you made it look realistic. The studs looks like small "hills" of snow, and the tiles looks like a ski-course, but I agree with ThatGuyWithTheBricks, it is a bit too steep, but don't change it.

Cusm- I like your idea. Do you have more dark tan plates? If you do, you can try some landscaping.

Diidy- Great vignette. I like the little accessories you've put there (the table lamp, the suitcase...). The chair and the cage are really neat, but it seems that this explorer has a little pest problems :wink: .

Ewok- The cactus and the skull are good, but the landscaping is a bit dull.

Thor Lund- I didn't see the movie, but I was told about this scene. Good idea! If you can make homogeneous tiling, try some landscaping (look at Dan Church's entry, for example)

Ritz Brick- Take another picture, this time with proper a proper light. The blue pieces looks like they are dark blue, and the white looks like tan :wacko:.

The_Customizer- Nice idea and story, but make the walls and the columns with normal bricks, not with holed bricks.

Lt. de Martinet, Good vignette, and this time a decent, gentle slope. :tongue:

The tree looks a bit out of place, try the classic evergreen tree.

Profound Whatever- Great vignette. I have no advices to give...

Plissken- Good idea, but why did you put grill tiles instead of tiles?

Yatkuu- Great and realistic vignette. The colors of the bricks or seems good, but next time take the pictures with more light.

Optimus- I really like your idea. It looks great, especially the time machine.

Category B coming soon.

1. Do we have to use only TLC rubber bands? It's more a problem of availability. (it's hard to get any unless you take it out of one of your sets).

Yes, you need to.

2. Can we make a video if we want to show a play feature? (like a trap door, ect.)

Yes, you may make a video and place a link inside your entry description. Video deeplinks are not allowed.

Problems with my flash. I think all three are still quite okay though nevertheless?

Is it possible for you to save your 3rd image in your entry to Flickr instead of leaving it under attachment. Non-EB members will have problems viewing it.

Well, I have some advices and comments to give too:

Category A:

Fires-storm- Your vignette is good, but I think that you should add a bit of gold and gems to the vignette, or maybe a spider and a spiderweb.

Thanks, a spider and web wouldn't really be appropriate, as the throne room is still in use, and as for gold and gems, I was going to add more but I decided on them being in the pearl gold chest instead. There was originally a shot of it open but i decided to only include the best two of the bunch here. Thanks for the tips, as well as the kind compliment of saying its good :thumbup:

p.s. also the throne, stairs, and mask are all supposed to be gold, and there is a gem tucked up in the arch, its just hard to notice. I wanted to make the throne ect pearl gold, but sadly they don't make those pieces, so I settled for yellow :tongue:

Thank you noname, I completely agree with you. I just updated my entry before reading your post :)

WhiteFang, I have retaken the photos with a more consistent lighting. Are they okay now? I've removed the attachment entirely and both photos (no need for a third one) are on Flickr.

Edited by absolutelylez

Thank you noname, I completely agree with you. I just updated my entry before reading your post :)

WhiteFang, I have retaken the photos with a more consistent lighting. Are they okay now? I've removed the attachment entirely and both photos (no need for a third one) are on Flickr.

It looks great now!

Plissken- Good idea, but why did you put grill tiles instead of tiles?

It is supposed to be the drain to catch the water if it's going over the edge. Maybe I can think of something better. Thanks for your feedback.

Looks good to me now! Thanks. :sweet:

ceroknight- The gym equipment looks great, but if you can, try to stick to one color and no holes in the walls (yellow would be good). If you can, try to make the floor tiled.

Thanks and I am already on it :grin:

Category B comments:

The_Customizer- The idea is nice, but the wave is bit unrealistic, try a bit of slopes. You should replace the trans-blue columns with another color, it looks a bit confusing. Try to put there a bit of big and small tan plates to make a bit of sand hills, or even a small sandcastle.

Dan Church- I like the wall decorations, the televisions (I think they are) and the tiled floor. Keep up the good work!

Optimus- Good work! :thumbup: You've combined two different themes, each of them could be be a stand-alone MOC. The only flaw in your MOC is the lanscaping above, which is a bit dull. Putting there he light grey pieces is an odd choice, I would go for all-tan landscaping.

Plissken- An interesting idea, and a nice build. I like the curtains, the crowd and the weapons you've attached on the sides.

Yatkuu- Your vignette/bignette is very nice, except for the "pentagram"- which is not a pentagram, but a "Star of David"

260px-Star_of_David.svg.png

It's a Jewish symbol- your use of the Star of David as a dark-witch-ritual symbol may offend a lot of people (including me).

Edited by noname